Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Toyota...We're Number....Two???

VW has passed Toyota as the Number One automaker in the World!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Not number one in quality....VW makes one of the worse cars in regard to dependability, reliability too. They sell a lot more in Europe then in the USA because American's are more picky about good cars. Even the Korean brands are better cars then the VW's.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
bronsin

True dat! But is Toyota following GM and Chrysler into the Abyss?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
ha

friend got a new diesel VW for the mileage

I got the Yaris

same month

already his has been to the shop 3 times for problems, fitment...new car stuff

mine...I just drive it. zero problems.

HAR
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
I have a friend who has a late 90’s VW Golf and that car is in shop at least once or twice a month for repairs.

She still loves the car death even though it cleans out her savings every month.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
bronsin

Yeah people are attracted to the "character" of the VW. They say Toyota has no "soul". They have no clue which end is up. If you want to see even more extreme examples of this, look at BMW motorcycle owners. They love their bikes to death, even as the bikes bleed their wallets dry and spend weeks in the shop.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
ha

friend got a new diesel VW for the mileage

I got the Yaris

same month

already his has been to the shop 3 times for problems, fitment...new car stuff

mine...I just drive it. zero problems.

HAR
And I can just imagine how much less you paid than he did...
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I was quite surprised by this news today. But it will be short lived.

There's only a couple of things that lined up just right for VW to take the volume lead from Toyota and the main one being the European and Asian (China) auto stimulus packages (like our Cash for Clunkers). Thing is, those areas prefer VW's over Toyota's and launched VW past Toyota slightly.

VW's new acquisition of Porsche helped their numbers too not to mention that VW owns many other companies as well while Toyota only has it's own 3 divisions (and only one division in many countries).

So while VW's sales in the US suck, they do very well in Europe where customers just care about that German driving feel while completely ignoring quality. China's market is growing really quick and unfortunately for Toyota, China is still holding a grudge against anything that is Japanese (from the past).

Anyway, Toyota will retake the lead next quarter and keep it.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:01 AM   #9
Cosmonaut
The Last Baron

Drives: 09 Polar White HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
Not number one in quality....VW makes one of the worse cars in regard to dependability, reliability too. They sell a lot more in Europe then in the USA because American's are more picky about good cars. Even the Korean brands are better cars then the VW's.
WHAT?!?!?! americans will buy whatever crap the automaker will sell them.

| UR 19mm sway |
Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut View Post
Many do, but what I think he means is that a good portion of Americans place quality/reliability at the top of their list of important attributes when buying a car hence the huge success of Toyota and Honda in America.

In Europe, the #1 quality people look for seems to be driving dynamics which is why VW does so well there even though they are constantly in need of repair.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I've owned a couple Vw's and they were very nice to drive, the cost of repair was stupid high, and very often.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
maybe if toyota made interesting cars, they'd sell more.

its funny, this post was made on matrixowners.com and not one person mentioned reliability....they were just interested to see vw passed toyota....no hate

i guess its a difference in age group
Old 11-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
maybe if toyota made interesting cars, they'd sell more.
Toyota does make some very "interesting" cars, but most of them are only sold in Japan!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
WOW!!!! There sure is a lot of hate here on this group for VW. Personally, I like the VW. Not sure what kind of cars either yourselves or friends/family are driving. My boyfriend has 2 VWs. A 2002 Golf TDI and a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. The 2002 was bought last December at 175,000 miles. The only major issue he has had for which the car was down for any length of time was a blown turbo. But at 195k (when it happend), something is bound to happen to it. Other than that, just normal maintenance (oil changes, tires, brakes, air filters, etc).

The main reason I like VW is that they are the only car company that offers an even remotely affordable diesel car in the US. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc., they are all waaaaaaaaay too expensive. And, to the best of my knownledge, there are no other diesel cars made available here in the US. Just large trucks/SUVs. A 2009 TDI (Jetta/Jetta Sportwagen) ran somewhere around $24000 (depending upon which options you choose). My boyfriend got his Sportwagen (with power panoramic sunroof, iPod adapter, and various other features) for $20k out the door (C-f-C, and only $1000 down).

If Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chrysler, or whoever else, started offering diesel vehicles other than large trucks/SUVs in the US that were affordable, I'd probably go with one of those as well. But where there is little that is offered in a particular market, of course those types are gonna sell a lot.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #15
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

If the Yaris had been available here with the 1.4L turbodiesel, I'd be driving one.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut View Post
+1
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #17
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
WOW!!!! There sure is a lot of hate here on this group for VW.

No hate here just the facts. VW makes a defect prone car. Once they made defective ignition modules that failed. There were so many of them they couldnt make new ignition modules fast enough to replace them all. (you have to wonder why they couldnt) Nothing could be adapted to fit. So some folks waited MONTHS with an undrivable car. NEVER NEVER NEVER wil I buy a VW.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
If the Yaris had been available here with the 1.4L turbodiesel, I'd be driving one.
Yeah me too. Well I wouldnt have bought a Yaris Diesel but in 2000 my ECHO would have had it. Lucky for me because thats a losing proposition. Youd never recoup your initial purchase price given the price of diesel vs gas. Theyed probably want $20k for a Yaris diesel. Its just like buying a Prius. With a Prius you give the money (maybe three times the money) you would have given to Exxon to Toyota. The car is an engineering and ecomonic fraud.
The best we could do is the 1 liter gas engine. I think if it gets better mileage.