Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #55
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
My VWs were mid-90s series, and comparing them with current Toyotas would be idiotic.

Current VWs have the same customer satisfaction rate as Toyotas, proven fact.

Last edited by PK198105; 11-15-2009 at 02:29 AM. Reason: no need for name calling
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #56
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post

My VWs were mid-90s series, and comparing them with current Toyotas would be idiotic.

lol, calm down skippy.

First, statistical analysis is very very very very very far from proven fact.

Second, customer satisfaction rate is different from reliability.

Third, VWs are complete and utter garbage, no matter how many made up statistics you bring in here.

Last edited by PK198105; 11-15-2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: quote edit
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #57
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Fourth, this thread has zero importance to anything relevant. Argue away!
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #58
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Fourth, this thread has zero importance to anything relevant. Argue away!
Did you forget the OP was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
VW has passed Toyota as the Number One automaker in the World!
So arguing about toyota and VW is irrelevant how???
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #59
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:

Not according to ConsumerReports.

Not according to JD Power and Associates.

Not according to Edmunds.com

Not according to most every professional mechanic.

Not according to most owners of VW cars.

Last edited by PK198105; 11-15-2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: no need for name calling
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #60
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
That is some of the most inaccurate comments ever posted on this forum! First, Volkswagens are tied with Toyota in terms of reliability...both got an 86; and Volkswagen's increase of 5 points, or 6.2 percent, marked the biggest jump from the year before (source).

Secondly, I wonder if you have even set foot in Europe as the comment that American's are "more picky about good cars" is the biggest bullshit statement I have ever heard in my life! Dude, I was born and lived numerous times in Germany, as well as Belgium and the UK. Cars are taken much more seriously in Europe than the US, as not only are they more expensive to buy but also maintain. I go back to Europe several times a year, and never see as much pieces of junk on the road as I do in the States (and I also travel throughout the country, so this isn't specific to any particular region).

Lastly, I had two VW Passats (B4) that I put over a quarter of a million miles on without any considerable problems! Sure, they aren't as maintenance-free as some Japanese brands; but I would never buy an American car over one, nor are they unreliable or overly expensive to maintain.

Next time do a little research...
I have spent years working in Bulgaria, Germany, Spain, England, Italy, Holland, and France.

Europeans don't maintain their cars as well as Americans do, nor are they as picky as Americans about quality, nor do they have the choices Americans have nor do they have the buying power we have.

Americans are the absolute most picky fickle and descerning consumers in the world.

Only an idiot would by a VW because they are over priced, suck gas big time, unreliable, undependable, and the cost of ownership is huge compared to most Japanese cars.

However to be fair, VW's drive fantastically.....when they're not in the shop.

Last edited by PK198105; 11-15-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: no need for flames
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #61
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Hopefully the personal attacks will stop so this thread doesn't get closed.

It's an interesting debate.

There is a reason that VW's market share is less than 2% in the US. Some here seem to argue in favor of VW's supposed quality. But it is undeniable that they are nearly the worse cars in terms of quality. I work at a car dealer where I see first hand how all car brands hold up. I cannot believe the condition (not from abuse) that VW's come in. The interior hardware in particular is a joke. Really sad.

VW's have great driving dynamics. That's it. And that is what Europeans favor most hence their success.

If Europeans cared so much about maintenance, why are their oil change intervals like 15,000 miles (for example)? While Americans are meticulous about 3-5K oil changes?

Hopefully, VW is straightening things out as of the last 2 years and maybe they are. Before that though, stay clear.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #62
Homeboy

Drives: Toyota Yaris XP9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildCode View Post
Regarding "we" and "our" - do you work for Toyota or just feel really close to them?
Yes, I work for Toyota at TPCE (Toyota Parts Center Europe) as buyer / logistics coordinator.

Yaris XP9 'by Sparco'
Homeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:48 AM   #63
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Did you forget the OP was:

So arguing about toyota and VW is irrelevant how???
How could I forget what the OP was when I called out THE THREAD as not being important? Reading is fundamental.
At the end of the day, what does it matter who is ranked where? If the manufacturer you choose goes to #1 does that mean the car you bought will now run faster, turn better, look better, be more fuel efficient and/or get you chicks? I doubt it.
Who's first to trade their car in because Toyota got ranked #2 by someone?
Who's going to buy a VW because they got ranked #1 by someone?
Old 11-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #64
MadMax

SilverGlow

Maybe you should read more and comment less...in my earlier post I stated I was born in Germany and have lived there as well as the UK and Belgium several times during my life. And when I am not living there, I travel there several times a year for work. I was just in Germany in September and can tell you that the comment that Europeans take less better care of their cars than Americans is just incorrect! I also travel the US quite extensively, and I see more pieces of junk on the roads here than I ever do in Europe. Europeans keep their cars in considerably better shape than Americans, and are less apt to hang on to them as long. As such, you see much newer cars on the road, the majority of which are five years old or less. That ratio is much lower in the US.

Secondly, despite the rhetoric, recent reporting (which I linked to) proves that VW's customer satisfaction rates are now equal to that of Toyota's. So, unless someone can post links to documented facts that support their comments, they are nothing but individual opinions.

Learn to debate the facts, and not emotion.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #65
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post

Europeans don't maintain their cars as well as Americans do, nor are they as picky as Americans about quality, nor do they have the choices Americans have nor do they have the buying power we have.

Americans are the absolute most picky fickle and descerning consumers in the world.
don't take it personally but that's a pretty poor comment (and I'm being nice)

I usually look the other way these days when I disagree with someone, especially when I believe their opinion comes from deeply seated political beliefs, but that is possibly the most inaccurate comment I've read on this board in a while.

I only wish I had some of the choices Europeans have. And to say that they're not picky consumers is just complete and makes me wonder what exactly you saw in Eruope if you actually set foot there in the first place

Last edited by tomato; 11-15-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: clarity
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:03 AM   #66
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
But theres the fancy schmancy lie-o-meter dashboard with pretty buttons and knobs to make you think youre driving a space ship or something. My suggestion is to put a feather on a stick which tickles the drivers arse at regular intervals.
Ok Im sorry I got carried away there.
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #67
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
ok as a pure european born and raised, i can tell you that MadMax actually is right. And as far as maintenance goes, many european cars are much older than the ones in North America and run much better because people actually do pay closer attention to their cars. the only reason north americans do the 3k-5k schedule is to minimize the sue factor.

Sue factor?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:03 AM   #68
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
sue as in suing. if the manual didnt say regular maintenance intervals people would have an excuse to sue the manufacturer. so the manufacturers here keep their schedules shorter so people are forced to maintain their cars unlike in europe where it is a normal part of owning a vehicle.

Umm sure.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #69
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

I maintain my vehicles because I understand how motors and bearings and the like work. So I personally do all the scheduled maintenance work myself, and leave the warranty work for the dealer. Does this make me European?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #70
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
I maintain my vehicles because I understand how motors and bearings and the like work. So I personally do all the scheduled maintenance work myself, and leave the warranty work for the dealer. Does this make me European?
No, that makes you smart! It is the only way you can trust that the work was done right (or you know who to blame if it isn't!).

Cheers! M2
Old 11-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #71
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Quote:
No, that makes you smart! It is the only way you can trust that the work was done right (or you know who to blame if it isn't!).

Cheers! M2

Ain't that the truth!