Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
"Carbon Fiber" hood showing it's fiber glass!

so, I washing my car today, and I pop the hood and see this on the underside of my supposed Carbon fiber hood. defiantly looks like fiberglass with a carbon fiber sticker to me. sigh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fiber glass 1.jpg (13.2 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg fiber glass 2.jpg (11.5 KB, 316 views)
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Looks like a wrap to me. Where did you get a "carbon fiber" hood that is actually stamped Toyota?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

$200 from wildmongoose26 in November he had it on his car for quite a while before he decided that he wanted a different look, so i paid fiberglass pricing just didn't expect it to start flaking apart.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #4
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
Carbon fiber hoods are just fiberglass with a sheet of carbon to give it the Fiber "look"
doesn't matter where you buy them from.

to get a true cf hood you will be spending $1000+
and you would be looking for a Dry Carbon.

from seibon for their wet carbon

Seibon’s production team has over 15 years of experience, and their skills show in the details. Every component is constructed using a one-piece carbon sheet for a consistent weave pattern. Our production processes allow exceptional carbon/resin ratio, creating high product stiffness that also leads to extra strength. For a stunning finish, our products are coated with a glossy clear coat that does not chip or flake.

you cannot build a hood with 1 piece
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru Steve View Post
<snip>

Not one layer, no. But each layer can be made from one piece of carbon, no trouble, as long as it's a wet layup so it can be sleazed into shape. Pre-pregs don't have that ability, but are stronger.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru Steve View Post
Carbon fiber hoods are just fiberglass with a sheet of carbon to give it the Fiber "look"
doesn't matter where you buy them from.

to get a true cf hood you will be spending $1000+
and you would be looking for a Dry Carbon.

from seibon for their wet carbon

Seibon’s production team has over 15 years of experience, and their skills show in the details. Every component is constructed using a one-piece carbon sheet for a consistent weave pattern. Our production processes allow exceptional carbon/resin ratio, creating high product stiffness that also leads to extra strength. For a stunning finish, our products are coated with a glossy clear coat that does not chip or flake.

Agreed. Perhaps Mongoose was not aware, didn't care that it was, or it was failed to be mentioned during the sale process? Mistakes happen. Not condoning pr placing any opinion, just a statement. In my case I was glad that my CF hood wasn't 100% CF cause I had to modify one of the internal ridges because of the wearing between it and my IC piping for my turbo. It would have broken my heart to cut into a real CF hood.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

i just know that my old hood i had on my 88 civic was 100% CF no black underside and was pinkie liftable granted even with a sponsorship it was $600. if it is normal no sweat, just wish i would have realized it before so that i could get the better looking MI hood. oh well, now i wont be worried about painting it
Old 03-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
Whoa. Don't try and make it like I was trying to sindle you in any way. It was $200. I took pictures and you accepted. The hood was advertised. Look at almost any other CF good other than the obvious $1000+ hoods and they will be build the same. Fiberglass frame. CF in top. $200 isn't even enough to cover the cost of the CF material itself.
But seriously. How can you expect Seibon for eBay prices.

And might want to adjust the hood. Had it on for 2+ years as a second owner and never had that issue
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmongoose26 View Post
Whoa. Don't try and make it like I was trying to sindle you in any way. It was $200. I took pictures and you accepted. The hood was advertised. Look at almost any other CF good other than the obvious $1000+ hoods and they will be build the same. Fiberglass frame. CF in top. $200 isn't even enough to cover the cost of the CF material itself.
But seriously. How can you expect Seibon for eBay prices.

And might want to adjust the hood. Had it on for 2+ years as a second owner and never had that issue
no swindling done, just didn't expect to see those spots under the hood. its all good, probably just going to paint it at some point and fix the weird spots while i'm at it. might need to get one of the bumper cover to hood seals that MI offers. to reduce that bumpy bump.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
Like I said. I had it on 4 2 years with stuff coilovers and didn't have that issue. It's gotta be an alignment deal
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
B2FiNiTY

Drives: Prius C
your hood is a very typical cf hood. nothing surprising about it. vis, seibon, etc are just the same way.
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
real carbon fiber pieces cost thousands. Anything that is less is not 100% carbon fiber.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
rapev-8

Drives: toyota
ill take it off your hands if you like :)
rapev-8 is offline   Reply With Quote