Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Drives: 2009 Red Yaris Hatchback
Question Automatic Locks

Hey Ya'll

So I have been baffled with this for quite some time. I have a 2009 base hatchback. I do not have keyless entry (whether it is installed or not is beyond me). When I first bought my Yaris, I would always have to manually lock/unlock my locks - not surprising for a base model haha.

One day I started my car just like I would normally, and the driver and passenger doors automatically locked when I shifted out of park (wtf?!?!). I know there are sequences of events that can program locking/unlocking with a key fob, but I don't have one. I thought that maybe I accidentally programmed the car to do this. I played around with different sequences and somehow undid the feature. After that, my doors wouldn't automatically lock for a while.

Two days ago, I ran into a similar occurrence. When I started the car, my driver's door locked (not passengers); I did not shift the Yaris out of park. Now I know the first occurrence wasn't a fluke and that there has to be a way to program lock/unlocking without a key fob.

Anybody know how? Otherwise I think my car is possessed!

Tomatogrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

I also do not have buttons in the car that can automatically lock the doors.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Do you have power locks? Or power windows? I'd think more crossed/stripped wires than anything good.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The 09 Yaris did not have that as a feature of the OEM power locks / keyless entry, so I would bet that your Yaris has an aftermarket keyless entry system installed. Take a look under the dash, below the steering column, for the aftermarket module.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Do you have power locks? Or power windows? I'd think more crossed/stripped wires than anything good.
I have manually cranked windows, not powered ones. There are motors that are driving the locks to lock/unlock when this happens, but I do not have any buttons within the Yaris that I can press to lock/unlock all or any doors. Before this all started happening, I would have to manually lock/unlock each door.

It appears to me that the problem is controlled rather than intermittent, I just don't know how it was induced/started. If it was due to shorted/stripped wires, wouldn't I see it more as an intermittent issue in the beginning rather than it happening consistently all the time like I'm seeing right now? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The 09 Yaris did not have that as a feature of the OEM power locks / keyless entry, so I would bet that your Yaris has an aftermarket keyless entry system installed. Take a look under the dash, below the steering column, for the aftermarket module.
I would be surprised if an aftermarket keyless entry system was installed. I bought the car new from the dealer with ~20 miles on it. When I installed foglights a few months back, I didn't come across any wires or assemblies that seemed out of place or any that appeared to be aftermarket. Do you know off-hand if the newer/older models have that as feature? If so, which ones? Thanks!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomatogrower View Post
I have manually cranked windows, not powered ones. There are motors that are driving the locks to lock/unlock when this happens, but I do not have any buttons within the Yaris that I can press to lock/unlock all or any doors. Before this all started happening, I would have to manually lock/unlock each door.

It appears to me that the problem is controlled rather than intermittent, I just don't know how it was induced/started. If it was due to shorted/stripped wires, wouldn't I see it more as an intermittent issue in the beginning rather than it happening consistently all the time like I'm seeing right now? Thanks!

I would be surprised if an aftermarket keyless entry system was installed. I bought the car new from the dealer with ~20 miles on it. When I installed foglights a few months back, I didn't come across any wires or assemblies that seemed out of place or any that appeared to be aftermarket. Do you know off-hand if the newer/older models have that as feature? If so, which ones? Thanks!

I don't believe that any of the Yaris do it. I know for sure that 06-11 do not. You can also pop one of the door panels off to see if aftermarket door lock actuators have been installed.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Quote:
I don't believe that any of the Yaris do it. I know for sure that 06-11 do not. You can also pop one of the door panels off to see if aftermarket door lock actuators have been installed.
I did some research through the interwebs, and I came across a 2007 Toyota Yaris Factory Repair Manual online. Under the door lock system section I found this:

I know this is for a 2007 and not a 2009, but it says that the door lock feature that I am experiencing is a customization parameter for the 2007 year. I suppose it's possible they kept that feature for the 2009 model. I'm not sure what it's referring to in the first column "Display (Item)." Any thoughts?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Actually, I'm re-reading the pdf, and it's talking about doors locking/unlocking through the door key cylinder and not through interfacing with starting the motor. I guess I'm still stuck haha

Old 04-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Exactly. I still think you have some aftermarket stuff in there. Dealers sometimes add keyless entry locally to try to increase the value or marketability of a car. Sometimes if the buyer doesn't want it they just don't give them the key fob, rather than removing the whole thing.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Quote:
Exactly. I still think you have some aftermarket stuff in there. Dealers sometimes add keyless entry locally to try to increase the value or marketability of a car. Sometimes if the buyer doesn't want it they just don't give them the key fob, rather than removing the whole thing.
Funny, something similar happened to me when I bought the car. The dealer wanted $500 to activate the keyless entry system...I thought that was outrageous and told 'em no. I guess I never thought that Toyota dealers would install after market products on a new car since I thought that they'd want to support Toyota genuine products. Time to open the door panel to see what's in there haha...thanks for the help!

Old 04-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Funny, something similar happened to me when I bought the car. The dealer wanted $500 to activate the keyless entry system...I thought that was outrageous and told 'em no. I guess I never thought that Toyota dealers would install after market products on a new car since I thought that they'd want to support Toyota genuine products. Time to open the door panel to see what's in there haha...thanks for the help!
If you can find the module you can buy replacement key fobs for it and have your keyless entry.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #12
SePtRa

Drives: 2000 Land Cruiser & 2007 Yaris
Quote:
I did some research through the interwebs, and I came across a 2007 Toyota Yaris Factory Repair Manual online. Under the door lock system section I found this:

I know this is for a 2007 and not a 2009, but it says that the door lock feature that I am experiencing is a customization parameter for the 2007 year. I suppose it's possible they kept that feature for the 2009 model. I'm not sure what it's referring to in the first column "Display (Item)." Any thoughts?
Hi there,

I have a 2007 Yaris with power windows and key less entry... I was wondering how can i activate this mode to unlock only the driver door with one push off the unlock button and the others with two pushes
SePtRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SePtRa View Post
Hi there,

I have a 2007 Yaris with power windows and key less entry... I was wondering how can i activate this mode to unlock only the driver door with one push off the unlock button and the others with two pushes
I am not aware of a way of doing it, other than by using the Toyota service tool.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
SePtRa

Drives: 2000 Land Cruiser & 2007 Yaris
Quote:
I am not aware of a way of doing it, other than by using the Toyota service tool.
Thanks for the reply CTScott.
So you're talking about the TIS Techstream software correct?
SePtRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SePtRa View Post
Thanks for the reply CTScott.
So you're talking about the TIS Techstream software correct?
Correct.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #16
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I just wish mine would honk the horn when I hit the lock button on my remote.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:15 AM   #17
eseibel67

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
I just wish mine would honk the horn when I hit the lock button on my remote.
Would also like to activate this feature if anyone knows how to do it.

I have had a dozen cars with remote entry, and this is the only one that does not give you a horn chirp when locking. I'm getting old and I'm too lazy to look back at the car to see if the if the lights blinked to confirm the "lock".
eseibel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseibel67 View Post
Would also like to activate this feature if anyone knows how to do it.

I have had a dozen cars with remote entry, and this is the only one that does not give you a horn chirp when locking. I'm getting old and I'm too lazy to look back at the car to see if the if the lights blinked to confirm the "lock".
There is no way, other than doing some custom electrical work.

Tags
automatic lock sequence