Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Idiot Things The Yaris Does

When you turn the "headlights" on in the dark nothing apparent happens because the "safety" DRL are already on. So...if you are driving from lit to unlit conditions its EASY to forget to turn your headlights on. Which means you have no parking lights!

NOW we have a REAL problem folks!

As a motorcyclist for 300,000 miles and 35 years without an accident I know safety. Accidents are caused by incredibly brain dead moments. Usually on the part of the other motorist. (in my case)

It is impossible to make a car react to the brain dead motorist. The driver has to do it. Safety comes from the driver NOT the car.

If you ride a motorcycle and think ABS, traction control, headlites on in the day etc etc are going to "save" you from an accident you are in for a rude awakening.

Of course the excuse is "Well it might help."

No...it will NOT help! It will only make trouble like DRLs.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
DRLs arent' for the driver though, they're for other cars to see that they are in fact, running cars and not parked ones. The issue is that the instrument pabnels is always lit. If they linked the cluster to the headlight switch people SHOULD NOT forget to turn them on.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
My dash lights only illuminate when the headlights are turned on. No insturment lighting in DRL mode here in Canada. There is also a dash light which illuminates when the headlights are switched on. Same with the fogs.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ incorrect. My dash lights are on in DRL mode, and dim when headlights are switched on.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
No DRLs, but I just have gotten into the habit of always driving with my lights on.

Unfortunately, since I've removed the door chimes in the Jeep (so I can run without doors! ), it is up to me to remember that my lights are on. A few times I've forgotten! Now I've gotten into the habit of always walking in front of the Jeep after parking it to make sure I've turned off the headlights!

I am becoming a creature of habit!

Oh, and yes, I ride as well. I've got two Hondas parked in the garage, been riding for about as long as you have; but in this country and throughout Europe.

Cheers! M2
Old 12-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
DRLs arent' for the driver though, they're for other cars to see that they are in fact, running cars and not parked ones. The issue is that the instrument pabnels is always lit. If they linked the cluster to the headlight switch people SHOULD NOT forget to turn them on.
Ah but the fact is THEY DO! I used to work second shift and come home at midnight. It was very common to see people driving without parking lights on. They start the car, the headlights are on, and they dont think to turn them all the way on.

If there were not DRLs then they would have to turn their headlites (and so the tail lights) on.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Oh, and yes, I ride as well. I've got two Hondas parked in the garage, been riding for about as long as you have; but in this country and throughout Europe.

Cheers! M2
Awesome to ride in Europe.

Are there deserted places there to ride in like here?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Hatch owners, look at your climate control knobs for a reminder if the headlights are on or not :)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
The Limo

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
In my 2007 Canadian sedan when the car is running only the rectangle with the fuel gauge, odometer and clock has a light on. The speedometer light is off. When the light stalk turns the lights on, then the speedometer light and a little light above the rectangle comes on as well as the rectangle dims somewhat. On my car it is impossible to drive at night and not know the headlights and tail lights are off (only running on DRLs) as the speedometer light is off.
Roy
The Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:49 PM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
the sedan has "traditional" gauges but the hatch has fancy "optitron" gauges, meaning they are always lit, or you would not see anything!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 12-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Awesome to ride in Europe.

Are there deserted places there to ride in like here?
You don't have to find places away from traffic, Europeans know how to drive and respect motorcycles. I never feared for my life like I do in traffic in this country. I have lanesplit at triple-digit speeds during rush-hour traffic out of Brussels, or rode across Germany on the autobahns at 120+ MPH for hours on end and felt safer than I do riding here.

It is one of the reasons I don't commute to work on the bikes anymore, it's just to damn dangerous the way people drive. They're too busy texting, eating, putting on make-up or simply not paying attention.

These days if I get the bikes out at all, it is to the Texas Hill Country where the only things you have to worry about is deer or armadillos strolling out into the road!

Cheers! M2
Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 AM   #12
bronsin

Huh interesting.

My defense mechanisms are so honed that I could never trust ANYONE anytime anywhere while riding a motorcycle.

Just the other day I was going to work and was on a divided six lane unlimited access strech of road. I was in the left lane passing a line of cars when one of them changed lanes into my path. He was looking at his lap (texting?) I have a rule. When you see someone do something stupid they will do ANOTHER thing stupid. Rather than speed up and edge around him I slowed down and changed lanes stage right. About another 200 yards down the road stupid drifted right into the dividing wall between the spilt highway. I was 100 yards behind him and to the right when he came to a stop sideways in the middle of traffic. About half a dozen cars either hit him or one another as they tried to avoid numbnuts.

If I did anything other than what I did I would have been in that mess.

People respecting motorcycles...

That would take all the fun out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
You don't have to find places away from traffic, Europeans know how to drive and respect motorcycles. I never feared for my life like I do in traffic in this country. I have lanesplit at triple-digit speeds during rush-hour traffic out of Brussels, or rode across Germany on the autobahns at 120+ MPH for hours on end and felt safer than I do riding here.

It is one of the reasons I don't commute to work on the bikes anymore, it's just to damn dangerous the way people drive. They're too busy texting, eating, putting on make-up or simply not paying attention.

These days if I get the bikes out at all, it is to the Texas Hill Country where the only things you have to worry about is deer or armadillos strolling out into the road!

Cheers! M2
Old 12-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #13
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limo View Post
In my 2007 Canadian sedan when the car is running only the rectangle with the fuel gauge, odometer and clock has a light on. The speedometer light is off. When the light stalk turns the lights on, then the speedometer light and a little light above the rectangle comes on as well as the rectangle dims somewhat. On my car it is impossible to drive at night and not know the headlights and tail lights are off (only running on DRLs) as the speedometer light is off.
Roy
Hmm good point. The only flaw I can find in your argument is these people driving without their headlights turned on are MORONS amd hence immune to the laws of common sense.

My 2009 US 3 door hatchback has the speedo lit up at max brightness without the headlights switched on. When I switch the headlights on the brightness go to the full dim setting I have them on.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #14
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Huh interesting.

My defense mechanisms are so honed that I could never trust ANYONE anytime anywhere while riding a motorcycle.

Just the other day I was going to work and was on a divided six lane unlimited access strech of road. I was in the left lane passing a line of cars when one of them changed lanes into my path. He was looking at his lap (texting?) I have a rule. When you see someone do something stupid they will do ANOTHER thing stupid. Rather than speed up and edge around him I slowed down and changed lanes stage right. About another 200 yards down the road stupid drifted right into the dividing wall between the spilt highway. I was 100 yards behind him and to the right when he came to a stop sideways in the middle of traffic. About half a dozen cars either hit him or one another as they tried to avoid numbnuts.
Yeah it's the only way to survive here too, especially on two wheels, gotta keep asking yourself, what is the most insane thing each other driver could do, and expect it to actually happen... Just last week I had a motorcyclist come out of a side road without even looking and cutting right across into the inner lane, into my path... Luckily he reacted to the horn and stuck to the outer lane!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #15
bronsin

I hope his life insurance is paid up.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #16
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
bottom line:

Always defensive driving and alert for others.

and stay off your cell phones.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #17
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Yeah it's the only way to survive here too, especially on two wheels, gotta keep asking yourself, what is the most insane thing each other driver could do, and expect it to actually happen... Just last week I had a motorcyclist come out of a side road without even looking and cutting right across into the inner lane, into my path... Luckily he reacted to the horn and stuck to the outer lane!
each and every time getting out on the bike, remember... everyone else's
sole purpose, is to get you and squash you. that's how you must ride a bike
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #18
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Rainy and foggy here this morning....only half the people have their headlights ON....easy to spot the idiots as they don't have tail lights