Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
chattersking

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan (Auto)
Exclamation Update to my situation

First of all thank you so much for your replies - your information was very valuable and helpful to me and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
Please let me have a moment to explain the whole situation.
I purchased a used Yaris Sedan with 50K Kilometres and considering it is a 2008 model i would say it was driven a lot. Therefore my transmission oil was found dirty during a recent oil change. After contemplating back and forth regarding the "lifetime" oil guarantee from Toyota I thought to better be safe then sorry and decided to change my transmission fluid for good. However Toyota quoted me something around $200 for a "DRAIN & REFILL" (trust me they say they only do this method). I found a better deal thru a local "mechanic" for $85. As per my previous post he proceeded to use three one litre cans of Castrol Multi Import Vehicle ATF and claimed that it is compatible for Toyota based on the product labelling. Satisfied and happy I drove back home enjoying the smooth feel of my car without having any single clue of what was about to come. Since I dont have an owners manual I was not able to read the important information regarding proper Toyota transmission fluid. After coming back home and stumbling around this website I found out the real truth. Obviously since the repair was done by a local "mechanic" in his backyard and by cash I screwed myself big time as this son of a gun will not stand his service.
Today after reading all your reviews I went to Toyota dealership and purchased genuine Toyota ATF WS one case of 12 cans for $100. Obviously the parts department guy was wondering why do i need so much instead of just 3,4 liters. I told him everything honestly as what had occurred and he suggested to me that instead of going to another local mechanic whose flushing methods may not be proper I should rather do it from them. Having no choice and learned my lesson I decided to flush my transmission from them.
The total came out about $200 plus my earlier $100 for the fluids. Not to forget the earlier $85 that i had spent on the idiot.
Anyways i was not able to see what exactly Toyota did since i was called back after an hour but i believe that they did carried out all the necessary repairs as were needed. There is no difference in driving and my car still runs smooth as it used to be before all this hoopla.

After going thru all these experiences and learning a valuable yet painful lesson i find myself still confused regarding what to believe. Genuine vs non genuine, dealer vs local mechanic and all that. I guess it is all about common sense knowing what and who to choose for when!

Again thank you so much for all your help - let my experience serve as a lesson to all of you so that god forbid you dont have to go thru this.
chattersking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atf ws, transmission fluid, transmission oil, yaris