Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #1
plushDJ

Drives: 2007 3 dr manual
What bugs??

Anybody else having this problem with the Yaris?? We went up to party on Whyte Ave in Edmonton on Saturday for the Oilers game and only after an hour of driving I found this......

I don't think I've ever driven a car that has caught bugs this bad before!! I'm going to have to wash it like once a week now
plushDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Boonespeed

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
damn, mad bugs.

it is summer though...

more buggies now than in winter.
Boonespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
foddy2000

Drives: 06 Yaris
Hey man I usta live up in Thunder Bay (Up North in Canada) and if you go driving at night you will usally pick up bugs like that on any car its almost like there like fish or bats u no how they travel in schools or what ever

Peace.
foddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
From what I gather using WD40 will remove them no problem. Never tried it myself.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:21 PM   #5
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
What's the matter? Can't dodge them while driving Yeah but I feel your pain, but where I live hasn't been too bad...I think cause the weather changes often even in the summer
Old 06-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #6
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Same problem here.. leaving for work at 4am, all the bugs are out in force!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
it really depends on where you are, it has nothing to do with the car you are driving, they all collect bugs.

someone told me if you are planning a long trip, spray pam on the front of the car, the bugs will not stick as easily.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
Leenis24
lil' town up north

Drives: 07 Yaris LB 5 speed Meteorite
Mine was just as bad if not worse, i went to Pittsburgh, PA this past weekend from Vermont(12 hour drive) and there were so many frickin bugs. It was so crazy. Its like the yaris is a bug magnet.
Leenis24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:57 AM   #9
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
that really is a crazy amout of bugs...i have noticed that mine catches alot, (atleast compared to my 91 honda civic, but then again maybe i just notice them more) but not nearly that many..that is nuts..
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:27 AM   #10
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
yeah, that's the downside of good aerodynamics based off a "teardrop with fat side forward" concept. It creates very little air turbulence in the front, which doesn't slow down (or speed up, depending on how you look at it) bugs/rocks/etc so you get more stuff hitting with more force and near-vertical surfaces = cracked windshields and bug graveyards...
i don't recommend WD40 or Pam...just keep your front bumper Waxed; and Clean with normal Car Wash Soap at higher soap concentrate (NO WD40 unless you REALLY know what you're doing!!). if car wash soap doesn't remove it, you can try pure Car Wash Soap and then quickly wash off (as listed on Many Detail sites for removing tar and bug remains). IF this doesn't work, buy some Bug/Tar remover made for Automotive paint..and make sure to FULLY wash and REWAX any area that you use Bug/Tar remover on!!! if not, the stripped wax may allow further bug/rock chips to damage the paint :(

later!
TRD_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #11
David81

Drives: Yaris
Yup, i get soo many bugs on my car, its annoying, is it bad to wash our car constantly? or it doesn't matter?
David81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
Uglyboyed

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S Flint Mica
Send a message via AIM to Uglyboyed Send a message via Yahoo to Uglyboyed
me too. i had a couple cars and this one catches more for some reason. im thinkin its only because the bumber and so wide and big. The yaris does have a big nose..lol.
Uglyboyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:13 PM   #13
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by David81
Yup, i get soo many bugs on my car, its annoying, is it bad to wash our car constantly? or it doesn't matter?

No its not bad to wash your car constantly its just plain sick
But seriously don't wax everytime you wash your car, for one you shouldn't have too, also wax if used too much eventually takes away the factory gloss on your car (it does that anyway just don't speed up the process-if overused) that's what I heard, I'm NOT saying don't ever use wax again, moderation is everything and if you use the good stuff like Turtle wax you won't have to wax often (generally speaking) cause if you waxed it and the next time you wash your car after its said and done it should still have that glossy beautiful look too it.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:45 PM   #14
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
My Toyota Dealer recommended as a tip at the Introductory Service Clinic, using PAM cooking spray! so the bugs don't stick and wiping it off when you reach your destination...
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #15
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
No its not bad to wash your car constantly its just plain sick
But seriously don't wax everytime you wash your car, for one you shouldn't have too, also wax if used too much eventually takes away the factory gloss on your car (it does that anyway just don't speed up the process-if overused) that's what I heard, I'm NOT saying don't ever use wax again, moderation is everything and if you use the good stuff like Turtle wax you won't have to wax often (generally speaking) cause if you waxed it and the next time you wash your car after its said and done it should still have that glossy beautiful look too it.
Use a polymer like Zaino Show Car Polish and every layer builds on the next, and makes the car look incredible...I've got about 6 layers on mine...I keep a soft moist rag on hand almost everywhere I go, and clean the bugs off when I get to where I'm going, that way they don't dry out and are easy to remove with a quick wipe...

Cheers
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:42 PM   #16
apriljoy
meow

Drives: Yaris Sedan, Black Sand Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
Use a polymer like Zaino Show Car Polish and every layer builds on the next, and makes the car look incredible...I've got about 6 layers on mine...I keep a soft moist rag on hand almost everywhere I go, and clean the bugs off when I get to where I'm going, that way they don't dry out and are easy to remove with a quick wipe...
Cheers
I second the Zaino. Zaino makes my 2007 Black Sand Pearl Yaris Sedan look sparkley in the sun. Having the Zaino on there makes it easy to wipe off sap, bird poop and bugs.
apriljoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #17
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I used to have a white '91 Mitsubishi Eclipse. Took it from N. GA up near Chicago and back to visit a girl I was dating at the time. I always like to make those trips in one shot if I can, so it was a 9 hour ride back, half of which was at night. Got up the next morning, and no joke, the entire front of my car was solid orange. There wasn't a square 1/2 inch that didn't have bug guts smeared across it, and halfway up the hood. Seriously gross!

~YR