Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
so what exactly is an RS?

first of all, I am in the US so if this is something that isn't available in the US, it would make sense.

I have heard talk of people looking for an RS and all. what makes it so special? if I had to guess I would say that it is a particular package with a body kit and maybe a few more bells and whistles but for someone that has one, what is different from it and say the american S model?

it is more of a curiosity.

thanks
thebeef
Old 07-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
About 90% of it is all looks (which for the price I find pointless). The other 10% would be maybe slight tuning to add a few HP to the motor and minor TRD suspension "upgrades". IMO it'd would be worth more to get a base model and build it up yourself.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
For the Canadian RS, the motor is exactly the same there are absolutely no TRD suspension mods(You can add them as a dealer option). The body kit looks a million times better than the standard model in my opinion. I wouldn't buy a regular 5 door Yaris. You can compare at the toyota.ca web site . Wish they would make them available in the States.
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I believe the seats are deeper buckets and the interior trim is different also.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
RS in Canada - Alloy wheels, Different bumpers, side skirts, rear spoiler, colour matched mirrors, fog lamps, black interior trim & headliner, amber gauges & illumination, PW, PL, Keyless, VSC, TRC, sports buckets & black sport fabric, 60/40 rear seats with fore/aft sliding & recline, 6 disc in dash CD...

Cheers
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
so it sounds almost like it is a canadian thing. it sounds very similar to the S package in the US.

I was hoping it had motor upgrades
Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i think abs also comes on RS...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #8
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I don't think there are any performance modifications for the S/RS, it's all cosmetic as far as I can recall...
Old 07-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #9
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
so what exactly is an RS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalrain View Post
For the Canadian RS, the motor is exactly the same there are absolutely no TRD suspension mods(You can add them as a dealer option). The body kit looks a million times better than the standard model in my opinion. I wouldn't buy a regular 5 door Yaris. You can compare at the toyota.ca web site . Wish they would make them available in the States.

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #10
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
Your list is super comprehensive. I get everything in there except, can you explain what the VSC and TRC are?? Thanks. Air con is standard in the RS too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
RS in Canada - Alloy wheels, Different bumpers, side skirts, rear spoiler, colour matched mirrors, fog lamps, black interior trim & headliner, amber gauges & illumination, PW, PL, Keyless, VSC, TRC, sports buckets & black sport fabric, 60/40 rear seats with fore/aft sliding & recline, 6 disc in dash CD...

Cheers
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
VSC = Vehicle Stability Control - VSC automatically controls brake force and engine output to help prevent skidding when cornering on slippery roads or during abrupt steering. It counteracts under steer or over steer by selectively applying the brakes to the individual wheels, as and when appropriate. So with VSC you quickly return to stable driving conditions, avoiding the danger of an accident.

TRC = Traction Control System - When TRC detects wheel spin in the driving wheels during acceleration it automatically reduces engine power to suppress the spin and restore traction. This ensures better power transfer to the road (saving fuel), gives your tires a longer life, and adds to overall safety. At the same time, TRC also controls the brake system to reduce the torque transmitted to the road, should it be higher than the road/tire friction available.

(Source)