Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
yawly
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris
2012 dash swap 2007

Is it possible to swap 2012 dash with cluster and everything into 2007 yaris? Any one done ?
yawly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It would not be a practical thing to do. You would have issues with fit as well as you would have to change over the entire wiring harness to make everything work properly.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
It would be interesting to see a complete 2012 interior in a 07 though.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
It would be interesting to see a complete 2012 interior in a 07 though.
I would rather go the other way and have the center speedometer on a third gen.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
It's popular with the VW crowd to put for instance a Golf III dash into a MkI, or a Corrado dash into a Scirocco, but that's only possible because of a totally different approach to the design.

For instance, you can get programmable intermittent wipers in a '84 Rabbit MkI simply by plugging the relay module from a '08 New Beetle into the empty spot on the relay and fuse block, thus upgrading your wipers from on/off to off/programmable intermittent/slow/fast. Try that with a Toyota.

So you can just saw the ends of a Golf III dashboard and stuff it into a MkI Scirocco, plug everything in and it can be expected to work. On our Yarii? Fugeddaboudit.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
It's popular with the VW crowd to put for instance a Golf III dash into a MkI, or a Corrado dash into a Scirocco, but that's only possible because of a totally different approach to the design.

For instance, you can get programmable intermittent wipers in a '84 Rabbit MkI simply by plugging the relay module from a '08 New Beetle into the empty spot on the relay and fuse block, thus upgrading your wipers from on/off to off/programmable intermittent/slow/fast. Try that with a Toyota.

So you can just saw the ends of a Golf III dashboard and stuff it into a MkI Scirocco, plug everything in and it can be expected to work. On our Yarii? Fugeddaboudit.

you only need to swap a prius wiper stalk in, and voilą.. variable speed intermittent.
or from a 07+ camry if you have a sedan..

edit: you don't get intermittent rear wipers, but i believe CTScott had made a module that will do it.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
WingIt

Drives: 2005 NCP91 Vitz
Anything is possible if you try, wiring would be simple enough, maybe have to depin and repin a couple of different plugs but all wiring colours would be the same so easy enough particularly if you could find complete wiring diagrams for the two.

You would just need to figured out what parts you need to make it work, i.e. front door cards need to match up to dash shape to allow doors to close etc
WingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
^^^^^ This . Though I'd probably enjoy seeing the dash cup holders even more than the center speedometer.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
YES!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #10
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
you only need to swap a prius wiper stalk in, and voilą.. variable speed intermittent.
or from a 07+ camry if you have a sedan..

edit: you don't get intermittent rear wipers, but i believe CTScott had made a module that will do it.
Crap, I had forgotten about that. Meant to do that, but it had somehow slipped my mind. Ordered a Prius stalk. Thanks for reminding me.

Another Prius part that fits elsewhere is the rear wiper, to give the Scirocco II's rear a more modern look ;)
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingIt View Post
Anything is possible if you try, wiring would be simple enough, maybe have to depin and repin a couple of different plugs but all wiring colours would be the same so easy enough particularly if you could find complete wiring diagrams for the two.

You would just need to figured out what parts you need to make it work, i.e. front door cards need to match up to dash shape to allow doors to close etc
The ECU and its connectors are different, it would be a lot of rewiring, certainly not simple.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #12
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Most definitely.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
its far easier to swap an xd dash with a 2nd gen. look into that.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #14
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawly View Post
Is it possible to swap 2012 dash with cluster and everything into 2007 yaris? Any one done ?
Is it because you like the 2nd gen car better, and therefore you don't want to buy a 3rd gen? Curious because it would cost less just to buy a new car never mind be a ton easier.

The cars both have differently sized and shaped interiors. You would need lots of expensive custom work done. The type of skills you see on the show "Pimp My Ride". It's particularly complicated in this case because one has center gauges, the other behind the wheel. Don't even think about this type of undertaking. The car isn't worth it.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:46 PM   #15
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
The days of whole sections of cars being interchangeable, are pretty-much gone.

In the past, a facelifted car would leave whole sections of it unmodified; the new fenders bolted up to the same cowl; the doors were the same even though front and rear sheet metal was changed.

That doesn't seem the rule anymore. The Gen3 Yaris is the same size; almost the exact same...but everything has been tweaked. The doors are different. Seating positions are different. The dash is drastically different; and like Mr. Scott, I'd prefer the center-pod speedo and all those trays and storage areas.

The cowl has been redone and the windshield glass is different. One wiper versus two.

So, no - I'd bet that without expensive mods and fillers and cutting, the dash would not interchange. If you really want a Gen3 dash, buy a Gen3. It drives better, IMHO. More precise steering and an improved seating position. So...put your Yaris on Craigslist and start shopping for a new one.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:57 PM   #16
IllusionX

^ You are talking about facelift, not new gen.

gen2 yaris include 06-08, and 09-11 (facelift) in North America. 12+ are gen3, which is a complete redesign.