Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
AC Help

Hey Yarri people, its been a while since ive been on here but having an issue with my 2010 Yaris AC and looking for some help.

started with the original compressor pulley breaking (the odd spider part that connects the pulley to the shaft.) thought okay that was stupid and really is a silly design. replaced compressor with a refurbished unit. charged the system, and proceeded to break again. said a few new swear words. welded the spider thing together and decided to do a flush and changed out the orifice valve as I believed it was a pressure spike from a clog or something causing the issues.

repaired compressor is back in, new orifice valve in, charged again and it worked great a few days but now is very intermittent, watching the pressures via a gauge manifold at 1800 rpm its roughly 40 psi low side and about 115 psi high. it will randomly shoot up to 150-170 high side and hold that for a brief time than it seems to completely shut off the ac clutch, both sides equalize (somewhat) and after some time it does the same thing.

looking for some advice without spending a fortune on a shop. I have access to all the proper R134 gas and equipment (recovery device, vac, manifold, scales etc) but I'm having a hard time understanding how the ac clutch on this car works and if possibly there is a sensor that's gone bad (high pressure sensor is top of my list)

parts cannon is starting to get expensive on a Yaris with over 400,000km.....