Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
seatech30

Drives: Yaris 2008 Sedan
Question Car alarm, aftermarket or OEM?

Hello, I've established that my car previously had an aftermarket alarm installed before I bought it, but was removed at some point, crappy harness splices behind the secret compartment.

I'm trying to decide if I should get the oem module 89730-52030 ~$200 or an aftermarket maybe viper 211HV http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55973

Would it be possible to get the antitheft module and just plug it in? I found this, I do have the odbii usb version with techstream, but have yet to use it before. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y0orOulWiPo I was thinking maybe I'd get lucky and find the module at a pickapart.

Ideally I'd like to have an alarm that uses the keyless entry already on my keys.
Being able to adjust the sensitivity would also be ideal.
Being able to arm the alarm silently w/o honking is also important to me.
Last, is price, $50 or cheaper would be great.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

2008 yaris sedan 1.5L.
seatech30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I have a viper system currently and I would vote to go with the OEM system.

Viper is fine but I had an issue where my viper module would randomly unlock or lock the doors and this would trigger the ecu to wake for 30secs each time and eventually causes my battery to die.

OEM is cleaner and works completely with the car
Old 06-03-2019, 01:40 AM   #3
seatech30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I have a viper system currently and I would vote to go with the OEM system.

Viper is fine but I had an issue where my viper module would randomly unlock or lock the doors and this would trigger the ecu to wake for 30secs each time and eventually causes my battery to die.

OEM is cleaner and works completely with the car
That sounds like quite a nuisance. I guess I'll try finding one at a pickapart, if I can't find one guess I'll fork the $200. The link I posted was to your guide for the viper install. Thanks for the warning! I'll also double check what alarm I have on my old yaris, I've never had an issue with it in 11 years I've owned it. Hopefully they still sell them.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
My car came equipped from the dealership with a K.A.R.R. security system. If I'm not mistaken, it's aftermarket but one that many manufacturers install. If you don't buy the alarm option, they just disconnect it.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
seatech30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
My car came equipped from the dealership with a K.A.R.R. security system. If I'm not mistaken, it's aftermarket but one that many manufacturers install. If you don't buy the alarm option, they just disconnect it.
I believe this is the case for some cars, as in the video i linked. Unfortunately, not the case for either of my yaris. It should be located behind the glove compartment, but nothing there other than some brake module I believe it was. Thanks for the input.