Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Slipangle

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Alternator replacement on 2007 Yaris

Stuff like this is part of why I got into engineering, because this really ticks me off. This is just bad design for service.

The alternator comes off with 2 bolts, right. These bolts aren't so hard to access, not enough space for the 1/2" drive socket wrench I would've liked to use to get enough leverage, and only barely enough swing to get 1 click, but it worked.

But while they barely managed enough space for a wrench, the Toyota engineers apparently didn't really think about the fact that the lower mounting bolt actually has to come out for this common service procedure.

The alternator bracket has to come out and maybe that'll do the job, but again, not enough space left for a socket wrench or an adjustable, and I am probably wasting more time than it would take posting here than it would to just go buy the box wrench I can't find, but I'm pretty well not able to do that since the wife is traveling and the kids are asleep.

Unless anyone has any quick tips on getting past this, maybe the venting at least will help I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stupid engineering tricks.jpg (22.4 KB, 279 views)
Slipangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
^ yeah, I was just ginna say, it looks like it's hitting the A/C line bracket. Unbolt it and move it outa the way and you should be golden!
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
Slipangle

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Yeah, after I got done being pissed about bad design for service I figured out where my 10 mm socket was, put an extension on and got it out. But there's no reason that bracket couldn't have been put about 10 mm forward so the bolt would clear.
Slipangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipangle View Post
Yeah, after I got done being pissed about bad design for service I figured out where my 10 mm socket was, put an extension on and got it out. But there's no reason that bracket couldn't have been put about 10 mm forward so the bolt would clear.
Keep that 10 mm handy, it'll take apart a good deal of the car...

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
2o6

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Oh my god, I am having the same problem.
2o6 is offline   Reply With Quote