Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #37
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
You didn't need to reach, just read what was written. I listed the condition of the car, described the owner, said that there was no engine oil depoits anywhere in the air intake system, that the deposit looked like fresh oil, not the ash deposit I normally see, etc...listed all that, probably why you snipped it again. Stay with the 3%, I'll stick with the other 97%...it's just what you need for your extremely dusty conditions. A UOA might just discover that your over-cleansed K&N is "useless"

When you go to a dealer or any other shop for any type of service what is the first thing that they always ask??? They always ask how many miles are on it. So I don't care if you found Bin Laden in the air box, how many miles that are on this car or any other car that is having problems is very important.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #38
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
I went to your little link and I didn't see any numbers....Did you?
For the Yaris P/N...

"K&N’s replacement air filters are designed to increase horsepower and acceleration" ...and repeats on the box, so HP claims aren't just for the Honda like you pretended.

Nice evasion. :)

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #39
1stToyota

Quote:
When you go to a dealer or any other shop for any type of service what is the first thing that they always ask??? They always ask how many miles are on it. So I don't care if you found Bin Laden in the air box, how many miles that are on this car or any other car that is having problems is very important.
Wrong. They ask for symtoms, and get customer info. And it could have had a million miles on it but if the entire intake system is free of engine oil and carbon buildup, but MAF sensor is covered in fresh goo, with brand new oiled filter upstream about 3", not too hard to figure out.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #40
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Quote:
My 3% might be high? The % of DYIs can't be that much by comparision, and most probably don't get a K&N, probably get a Fram, Wix, etc...
Nah, I was just saying that people should ignore those percentages, because most people have someone else make the decision for them.

Wix is kind of on the pricey side aren't they? I wouldn't know as they're not even sold at the el cheapo stores by me. I actually prefer Fram for oil filters because of the grip anyway even though I'm told Wix is the best there :)

I do it myself because I want it done right, but I don't want it to be an expensive pain in the ass either.

I ran K&N on my TJ for years and I never had any troubles with it, though I rarely cleaned the intake/throttle body. The worst build up of oil was honestly from the PCV. I actually had to get a pick tool to clean that out (not a valve on the TJ).

Funny story, it's was the same with the Harley too actually. It used to have one of those doofy hyperchargers on it. The rubber fittings on the PCV just fit too loose causing oil to spit out (before I replaced the top end gaskets and rotated the rings correctly).

I think I really want to put one of those PCV filters on the Yaris as described in the DIY section here before I start oiling my filters with engine oil:) I wonder if that would give the dealer an excuse to void the warranty.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #41
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Nah, I was just saying that people should ignore those percentages, because most people have someone else make the decision for them.

Wix is kind of on the pricey side aren't they? I wouldn't know as they're not even sold at the el cheapo stores by me. I actually prefer Fram for oil filters because of the grip anyway even though I'm told Wix is the best there :)

I do it myself because I want it done right, but I don't want it to be an expensive pain in the ass either.

I ran K&N on my TJ for years and I never had any troubles with it, though I rarely cleaned the intake/throttle body. The worst build up of oil was honestly from the PCV. I actually had to get a pick tool to clean that out (not a valve on the TJ).

Funny story, it's was the same with the Harley too actually. It used to have one of those doofy hyperchargers on it. The rubber fittings on the PCV just fit too loose causing oil to spit out (before I replaced the top end gaskets and rotated the rings correctly).

I think I really want to put one of those PCV filters on the Yaris as described in the DIY section here before I start oiling my filters with engine oil:) I wonder if that would give the dealer an excuse to void the warranty.
If the people want it bad enough, no matter what it is, they'll get it. Not a big deal either with getting it installed by your local mechanic, or whoever does the service, and cleaning it shouldn't be an issue either; in most cases cleaning will be a couple of years down the road.

And the PCV issue really shouldn't be a big concern...most vents are at the bottom of the airbox, below the air filter, so you'd have to discard the air filter completely, or damage the gasket bad enough to allow it to effect the MAF...or the PCV vents downstream of the MAF near the throttle body.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #42
b_hickman11

Quote:
Wrong. They ask for symtoms, and get customer info. And it could have had a million miles on it but if the entire intake system is free of engine oil and carbon buildup, but MAF sensor is covered in fresh goo, with brand new oiled filter upstream about 3", not too hard to figure out.
Yes you are wrong.....They ask for the miles to determine if it is going to be under warranty or not. How are they going to know if the service they are preforming will be paid for by the customer or by Toyoya?? I guess in your case it must be Magic!!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #43
b_hickman11

Quote:
For the Yaris P/N...

"K&N’s replacement air filters are designed to increase horsepower and acceleration" ...and repeats on the box, so HP claims aren't just for the Honda like you pretended.

Nice evasion. :)
Like I said, I see no numbers. You do know what numbers are don't you? Here's a little help(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0). If you ever see something that look like these(they maybe combine), these are called numbers. Now in your little quote, I didn't see where it said, "The drop-in filter for the Yaris will give you 5 more HP, or 20 more HP, or 100 more HP, or"....well you get the point, hopefully!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #44
b_hickman11

Oh and by the way, my 2005 Taco came with a K&N filter already installed. Some kind of special package that included an upgrade air box and upgrade pipes and mufflers. Came from the plant that way. So if these filters are SOOOO bad, then why would Toyota put them in their products themselves?????
Old 07-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #45
1stToyota

Quote:
Yes you are wrong.....They ask for the miles to determine if it is going to be under warranty or not. How are they going to know if the service they are preforming will be paid for by the customer or by Toyoya?? I guess in your case it must be Magic!!!!
Yes, your Yoga stretching classes are back in business. Why do you need to pretend that every mechanic and service department assumes that it might be warranty work? The first question isn't for the mileage, fool...it's symptom and customer info.

Hi. Hickman here. I'll be your service manager today. What's that mileage, sir? Your oil change might not be under warranty. LOL!

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 07-11-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #46
1stToyota

Quote:
Like I said, I see no numbers. You do know what numbers are don't you? Here's a little help(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0). If you ever see something that look like these(they maybe combine), these are called numbers. Now in your little quote, I didn't see where it said, "The drop-in filter for the Yaris will give you 5 more HP, or 20 more HP, or 100 more HP, or"....well you get the point, hopefully!
Quote:
Where are they pushing the claim for the Yaris? If you go to the K&N website and look at the Yaris drop-in claims, you will notice that there are NONE!!!
Wrong!!!

"K&N’s replacement air filters are designed to increase horsepower and acceleration"

You'd have to be crazy, or sad and insecure, not to see that as a performance/numbers claim from K&N for the Yaris drop-in P/N. Why do they need to GIVE you a number, when they've already claimed increase horsepower and acceleration ???

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #47
1stToyota

Quote:
Oh and by the way, my 2005 Taco came with a K&N filter already installed. Some kind of special package that included an upgrade air box and upgrade pipes and mufflers. Came from the plant that way. So if these filters are SOOOO bad, then why would Toyota put them in their products themselves?????
Better question, fanboi

If they're known for not filtering dust as well as paper, under your self-admitted EXTREMELY dusty conditions, so bad that filter won't make it 1 month w/o needing to be cleaned, why use the inferior filter for the job?

And if they're the greatest, why not install them in every vehicle? Why in maybe less than .005% of the Toyotas being sold?

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #48
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I have a K&N in the Yaris and in my Jeep. Never once had a problem.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #49
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Some of my Jeep buddies were finding dust DOWNSTREAM from their K&Ns in the air tubes. I have heard of other cases like this, also, but I don't personally know those other people.

If a filter is less restrictive to the air passing through it, then one must ask the question, is it still as efficient at trapping the dirt as the conventional paper filter?

If there really might be some slight HP gain or some slight MPG gain, I would still not want to risk using a less efficient filter. From K&Ns own HP comparison graphs, it appears that the extra HP only comes at WOT, and how often are we going to drive like that?

I'll stick with the old fashioned paper filters, thank you.

Tomster
Old 07-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #50
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbockholt View Post
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum and have a question about K&N filters. Are they a good idea for the Yaris? I have a 2007 three door, I've heard the oil used on the filter can cause problems for the sensors. I'm looking for real world experince on this subject. Thanks in advance.
Ken
45,000 kl on my '08 sedan with the K&N drop-in since week one and no negitive issues. Many hundreds of thousands of kilometers on past vehicles all with K&N's and they all ran strong and flawlessly. I've saved over a grand in throw-away filter purchases by running K&N.
And by saving the original OEM filter I can use it while I clean, thoroughly dry and re-oil the K&N at a leisurely pace.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #51
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
Some of my Jeep buddies were finding dust DOWNSTREAM from their K&Ns in the air tubes. I have heard of other cases like this, also, but I don't personally know those other people.

If a filter is less restrictive to the air passing through it, then one must ask the question, is it still as efficient at trapping the dirt as the conventional paper filter?

If there really might be some slight HP gain or some slight MPG gain, I would still not want to risk using a less efficient filter. From K&Ns own HP comparison graphs, it appears that the extra HP only comes at WOT, and how often are we going to drive like that?

I'll stick with the old fashioned paper filters, thank you.

Tomster
True, some extreemly fine dust may get past a K&N. What little "dust" that does not get filtered should pose no threat under normal conditions.

However, even though I'm a K&N supporter, I probabably would not install one if I consistantly drove in extreemly dusty, dirty conditions.

So, like many things in life, when installing a K&N, a little common sense goes a long way.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #52
b_hickman11

Quote:
Yes, your Yoga stretching classes are back in business. Why do you need to pretend that every mechanic and service department assumes that it might be warranty work? The first question isn't for the mileage, fool...it's symptom and customer info.

Hi. Hickman here. I'll be your service manager today. What's that mileage, sir? Your oil change might not be under warranty. LOL!
So they never ask for mileage??? Business must be slow at your shop!

Last edited by b_hickman11; 07-12-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #53
b_hickman11

Quote:
Wrong!!!

"K&N’s replacement air filters are designed to increase horsepower and acceleration"

You'd have to be crazy, or sad and insecure, not to see that as a performance/numbers claim from K&N for the Yaris drop-in P/N. Why do they need to GIVE you a number, when they've already claimed increase horsepower and acceleration ???
Go to this link and see the numbers. On their home page, they have a link thats says, "Find Vehicle Horsepower Gain." If you click on it and go through all of the steps you will come to this page.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/hp_search.aspx

Now can you tell me how much the drop-in filter will increase your HP??

By the way, what was the weather like when you tested the HP increase of the K&N drop-in in Your Yaris?
Old 07-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #54
b_hickman11

Quote:
Better question, fanboi

If they're known for not filtering dust as well as paper, under your self-admitted EXTREMELY dusty conditions, so bad that filter won't make it 1 month w/o needing to be cleaned, why use the inferior filter for the job?

And if they're the greatest, why not install them in every vehicle? Why in maybe less than .005% of the Toyotas being sold?
They are only known for not filtering dust as well as paper...BY YOU!!! So why would Toyota listen to your claims....you work for Toyota and holding out on everyone?? I need this part, 55606-52020, and was wondering if you can take it out of the warehouse for me. I'll give you a $1 for shipping!
Closed Thread