Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:24 AM   #55
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Go to this link and see the numbers. On their home page, they have a link thats says, "Find Vehicle Horsepower Gain." If you click on it and go through all of the steps you will come to this page.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/hp_search.aspx

Now can you tell me how much the drop-in filter will increase your HP??

By the way, what was the weather like when you tested the HP increase of the K&N drop-in in Your Yaris?
Wrong, you're the one with the K&N filter in the Yaris, that needs to be cleaned every month due to your extremely dusty conditions; you must be impressed with their decals

And why did you need to throw away my K&N link...it was the direct link for the Yaris P/N, with the "buy now" option?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2360

From that link:

"K&N’s replacement air filters are designed to increase horsepower and acceleration"

It's not my fault that K&N is too chicken-$h!t and cowardly to backup their so called increase horsepower and acceleration claims with an actual number.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 07-13-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #56
1stToyota

Quote:
So they never ask for mileage??? Business must be slow at your shop!
"When you go to a dealer or any other shop for any type of service what is the first thing that they always ask???"

...and YOU said that because they needed to know if it was under warranty or not...really?

Pal, why ask for the mileage, first, to see if it's under warranty? Like I said before, you get symptoms and customer details first, because they might be in for a flat tire, oil change, etc...and last time I checked that wasn't dealer covered warranty repairs...car could even be 20 years old

Oh, and with the Mitchell program that I use, like many other professional shops, mileage info is asked for on page 3 of the customer's W.I.P. invoice.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #57
1stToyota

Quote:
They are only known for not filtering dust as well as paper...BY YOU!!!
Liar. Try following thread better next time.
Scratch that...be sure to keep ignoring the input of what others are saying; a lot of it is stuff you don't want to read.

Quote:
So why would Toyota listen to your claims....you work for Toyota and holding out on everyone?? I need this part, 55606-52020, and was wondering if you can take it out of the warehouse for me. I'll give you a $1 for shipping!
Oh, so Toyota is installing K&N filters on every vehicle, or probably way less than 1% of the new vehicles being sold...thought so.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #58
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
all I hear is the sound of an old plane plummeting erratically toward the ground, as this thread has gone south ;d
Old 07-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #59
1stToyota

I think it started with the claims that the Avalon might be a "pace car for NASCAR or on some dirt track" and did the final shark jump with the Bin Laden is hiding in the air box silliness.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #60
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
have you ever wondered why you never see a K&N filter on any stock machine?
if they were so great why don't they use them
Simple
cotton filter are the worst filter type for filtering fine dust that will cause premature engine wear.
Even K&N recommends a foam prefilter for dusty conditions

do think you car sees much dusty conditions? don't wash under the hood for a couple months and look how much dust built up collects on the engine cover, not X that by XXXXXXXXXX the amount of air you engine sucks in everyday and think about how much of that dust is going into your engine.

As a motorcycle mechanic I have seen hundreds of engines destroyed by using K&N filters. #1 they do throw off the jetting sometime lean other times they reduce the intake velocity and cause the engine to run too rich or just poorly overall. Even FI bike need to have the fuel systems re-mapped for a K&N.

for you K&N owners take a clean white rag and go wipe out the intake pipe to the manifold and then tell us its clean in there. I have shown dozens of owners this for YEARS and most people withh agree they SUCK. if the MFG could gain and extra MPG from a different air filter don't you think they would have installed it?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #61
1stToyota

Amsoil needs to get it in gear and release their Ea paper filter for the Yaris; guaranteed for 100K miles, and it's reusable...they say just vacuum it, shake it out, wipe down w/ soft bristle brush, etc...

Only cotton filter I ever liked was the one made by Green (big in Europe, I think)...its cotton was weaved, like bluejeans, not loose layering, and was supposed to filter better, but still not as good as paper.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #62
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Amsoil needs to get it in gear and release their Ea paper filter for the Yaris; guaranteed for 100K miles, and it's reusable...they say just vacuum it, shake it out, wipe down w/ soft bristle brush, etc...
I couldn't agree more-those are great filters. I'd love to get my hands on one for a Yaris but I'm afflicted with this curse where they never offer one for the vehicles I end up buying!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Old 07-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #63
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I couldn't agree more-those are great filters. I'd love to get my hands on one for a Yaris but I'm afflicted with this curse where they never offer one for the vehicles I end up buying!

R2
My brother bought one for his new Ranger; looked like a very good and durable filter.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #64
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Liar. Try following thread better next time.
Scratch that...be sure to keep ignoring the input of what others are saying; a lot of it is stuff you don't want to read.

Oh, so Toyota is installing K&N filters on every vehicle, or probably way less than 1% of the new vehicles being sold...thought so.
Show me the post where I said they put them in every vehicle?? Thats right, theres not one. One of the reasons they don't is because of cost. They know a Hybrid setup is the best way to go right now. Why don't they install them in evry vehicle? Cost! You should know that though since you work for them.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #65
b_hickman11

Quote:
Wrong, you're the one with the K&N filter in the Yaris, that needs to be cleaned every month due to your extremely dusty conditions; you must be impressed with their decals

And why did you need to throw away my K&N link...it was the direct link for the Yaris P/N, with the "buy now" option?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2360

From that link:

"K&N’s replacement air filters are designed to increase horsepower and acceleration"

It's not my fault that K&N is too chicken-$h!t and cowardly to backup their so called increase horsepower and acceleration claims with an actual number.
If I had the OEM filter it would need to be changed every month but with my K&N I have to service it about 3-4 times a year. And you still didn't answer my question....what was the weather like when you had the K&N filter tested in your car?
Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #66
b_hickman11

Quote:
"When you go to a dealer or any other shop for any type of service what is the first thing that they always ask???"

...and YOU said that because they needed to know if it was under warranty or not...really?

Pal, why ask for the mileage, first, to see if it's under warranty? Like I said before, you get symptoms and customer details first, because they might be in for a flat tire, oil change, etc...and last time I checked that wasn't dealer covered warranty repairs...car could even be 20 years old

Oh, and with the Mitchell program that I use, like many other professional shops, mileage info is asked for on page 3 of the customer's W.I.P. invoice.
The warranty is just one example. I never said the ONLY reason they ask is to check on the warranty. There are many other reasons they SHOULD ask for the mileage. If you go to Wal-Mart to have any service done they will ask for your miles. Surely you don't believe Wal-Mart does warranty service for Toyota? I thought you were better than that!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #67
b_hickman11

Quote:
I think it started with the claims that the Avalon might be a "pace car for NASCAR or on some dirt track" and did the final shark jump with the Bin Laden is hiding in the air box silliness.
You got to admit, those were good.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #68
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS View Post
have you ever wondered why you never see a K&N filter on any stock machine?
if they were so great why don't they use them
Simple
cotton filter are the worst filter type for filtering fine dust that will cause premature engine wear.
Even K&N recommends a foam prefilter for dusty conditions

do think you car sees much dusty conditions? don't wash under the hood for a couple months and look how much dust built up collects on the engine cover, not X that by XXXXXXXXXX the amount of air you engine sucks in everyday and think about how much of that dust is going into your engine.

As a motorcycle mechanic I have seen hundreds of engines destroyed by using K&N filters. #1 they do throw off the jetting sometime lean other times they reduce the intake velocity and cause the engine to run too rich or just poorly overall. Even FI bike need to have the fuel systems re-mapped for a K&N.

for you K&N owners take a clean white rag and go wipe out the intake pipe to the manifold and then tell us its clean in there. I have shown dozens of owners this for YEARS and most people withh agree they SUCK. if the MFG could gain and extra MPG from a different air filter don't you think they would have installed it?
My stock 2005 Taco came with one.....
Old 07-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #69
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS View Post
for you K&N owners take a clean white rag and go wipe out the intake pipe to the manifold and then tell us its clean in there. I have shown dozens of owners this for YEARS and most people withh agree they SUCK.
Checking the intake on my Jeep with AEM CAI and K&N shows clean. I must have one of the K&N's that don't suck. The throttle body does have some gunk in it, but that's oil from the PCV and very, very little of it at that. All of this is with the occasionally very dusty driving conditions 4-wheeling up in the mountains.

Oh, and I clean it *maybe* once a year? Go figure.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #70
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
How bout a mod close this thread as it is no longer informative and useful
Old 07-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #71
1stToyota

Quote:
Show me the post where I said they put them in every vehicle??
"Oh, so Toyota is installing K&N filters on every vehicle, or probably way less than 1% of the new vehicles being sold...thought so."

You missed the "or" ...but of course you miss a lot on this thread, right? Thought so.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #72
1stToyota

Quote:
I think it started with the claims that the Avalon might be a "pace car for NASCAR or on some dirt track" and did the final shark jump with the Bin Laden is hiding in the air box silliness

Quote:
You got to admit, those were good.

No, just silly deflections and evasions. Oh well.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Closed Thread