Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #73
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
The warranty is just one example. I never said the ONLY reason they ask is to check on the warranty.
No, you just said it was "always" the FIRST thing asked...to determine if it was warranty work, to see who would pay for the job, customer, or dealer/repair shop. LOL!!

And besides, you don't think Wal-Mart does warranty service for Toyota? I thought you were better than that!

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #74
1stToyota

Quote:
If I had the OEM filter it would need to be changed every month but with my K&N I have to service it about 3-4 times a year. And you still didn't answer my question....what was the weather like when you had the K&N filter tested in your car?
Why ask about my K&N filter? Never said I installed one in my Yaris.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #75
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
"Oh, so Toyota is installing K&N filters on every vehicle, or probably way less than 1% of the new vehicles being sold...thought so."

You missed the "or" ...but of course you miss a lot on this thread, right? Thought so.
LOL...you just quoted yourself. That quote is something you posted on a previous page!!! You just made fun of yourself!!!! Hahahaha, this is great!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #76
b_hickman11

Quote:
Why ask about my K&N filter? Never said I installed one in my Yaris.
Exactly!!! Then why are you so sure about your claims, if you haven't even tested it out for yourself. It might increase HP by .0000000000001%
Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #77
1stToyota

Quote:
Exactly!!! Then why are you so sure about your claims, if you haven't even tested it out for yourself. It might increase HP by .0000000000001%
Please tell me how a stock Yaris with a drop-in will compare to modded Mustang GTs and a modded '05 GTO. Never said I had one in my Yaris, you said I had one in my Yaris. I'll never buy another K&N filter, I've outgrown them and their decals and their so-called increased performance claims...and it'd be real nice if K&N had the stones to at least say .0000000000001% to their so-called "increase in performance and acceleration" claim that's listed with the Yaris P/N on the K&N *buy now* link.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 07-14-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #78
1stToyota

Quote:
LOL...you just quoted yourself. That quote is something you posted on a previous page!!! You just made fun of yourself!!!! Hahahaha, this is great!
No, silly, my quote was because you said K&N was so great that Toyota used it on a dealer installed package, a long time ago...so I said what, they love them so much they now install K&N on every new Toyota being sold...OR do they actually install K&N filters on WAY less than 1% of new Toyotas being sold. You said it was because of costs. Really? That's the only reason? You made that up, OR you've got a link that shows Toyota's statement on K&N filters for their new vehicles? :)

--
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11
Show me the post where I said they put them in every vehicle??

"Oh, so Toyota is installing K&N filters on every vehicle, or probably way less than 1% of the new vehicles being sold...thought so."

You missed the "or" ...but of course you miss a lot on this thread, right? Thought so.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 07-14-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #79
b_hickman11

Quote:
Please tell me how a stock Yaris with a drop-in will compare to modded Mustang GTs and a modded '05 GTO. Never said I had one in my Yaris, you said I had one in my Yaris. I'll never buy another K&N filter, I've outgrown them and their decals and their so-called increased performance claims...and it'd be real nice if K&N had the stones to at least say .0000000000001% to their so-called "increase in performance and acceleration" claim that's listed with the Yaris P/N on the K&N *buy now* link.
Thats exactly what I have been trying to get you to realize!! K&N doesn't make an exact HP claim for the Yaris(drop-in) like they do their Cone filters and intakes system. I know you never said you had one in your Yaris. I was just setting you up to say, "I don't even have one," even though you are making all of these claims about them in our Yaris's. You are making your claim on other vehicles and stuff you found on the internet rather than actual results you have seen in your own Yaris. The K&N filter for the Yaris might actual decrease the stock HP. The information that you are looking at on their site is just their general overall statement about their filters. If you keep researching you will find where it states that actual, real world HP increase will differ. Thats why they have the link "K&N Power Gain Search by Vehicle."
Just because the K&N will increase a Mustang by 15 HP doesn't mean it will do the same for a Yaris.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #80
b_hickman11

Quote:
No, silly, my quote was because you said K&N was so great that Toyota used it on a dealer installed package, a long time ago...so I said what, they love them so much they now install K&N on every new Toyota being sold...OR do they actually install K&N filters on WAY less than 1% of new Toyotas being sold. You said it was because of costs. Really? That's the only reason? You made that up, OR you've got a link that shows Toyota's statement on K&N filters for their new vehicles? :)

--
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11
Show me the post where I said they put them in every vehicle??

You posted that after I had already said that they do not install them on very many Vehicles So I already beat you to the your point. I am aware that it is probably less than 1%. Also if you notice my post, I said, "ONE of the reasons....." I aware that there is other reasons. Another reason is because they make more money if they put in a throw away filter in. Some owners, not all, don't know what % (so don't say I said all owners), will go to the dealer for service and the dealer will make money from new filters. So remember, I said one reason.

p.s. It wasn't a dealer installed package.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #81
1stToyota

Quote:

Quote:
Thats exactly what I have been trying to get you to realize!!
No, I'm trying to make you realize just how misleading K&N is when they state their "increase in performance and acceleration" claim that's listed with the Yaris P/N on the K&N *buy now* link - IF they were honest they'd put the "K&N Power Gain Search by Vehicle" link right next to the "buy now" option. They won't ever do that, they might lose some sales.

Quote:
I know you never said you had one in your Yaris. I was just setting you up to say, "I don't even have one," even though you are making all of these claims about them in our Yaris's.
I never made any claims about the Yaris, I knew it'd never be power that could be felt on a stock Yaris, I'm just asking about K&N's so-called "claims" about increased performance on their boxes and what they claim on their buy-me-right-now page...and what other people say on these type threads.

Quote:
You are making your claim on other vehicles and stuff you found on the internet rather than actual results you have seen in your own Yaris.
I've had K&N on my other vehicles, and I made a decision about K&N based on my experience...in 26 years at this I've been under a hood or 2. I stick with what I saw. Next time I'll get you a photo so you won't belly ache and get defensive for days, hopefully.

Quote:
The K&N filter for the Yaris might actual decrease the stock HP. The information that you are looking at on their site is just their general overall statement about their filters.
To increase their sales, I trust. The info is a sales pitch for the Yaris owner that went to the trouble to see what P/N fit their car, and just above the buy link is the claim about increased performance. Sad.

Quote:
If you keep researching you will find where it states that actual, real world HP increase will differ. Thats why they have the link "K&N Power Gain Search by Vehicle."

That's something a buyer does AFTER they've already hit the "buy me" now link, perhaps, or never does at all when they have the filter in their hands at the parts store, reading the claims on their box?

Quote:
Just because the K&N will increase a Mustang by 15 HP doesn't mean it will do the same for a Yaris.
Wonder why they say "increase in performance and acceleration" ...on every box?

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #82
1stToyota

Quote:
You posted that after I had already said that they do not install them on very many Vehicles So I already beat you to the your point. I am aware that it is probably less than 1%. Also if you notice my post, I said, "ONE of the reasons....." I aware that there is other reasons. Another reason is because they make more money if they put in a throw away filter in. Some owners, not all, don't know what % (so don't say I said all owners), will go to the dealer for service and the dealer will make money from new filters. So remember, I said one reason.

p.s. It wasn't a dealer installed package.
Just because you can add something on a build page doesn't mean it's factory installed. Most sites even warn that prices might not be correct because DEALER "installation charges" will vary. I doubt that my tip was installed on the assembly line, probably yanked off of the dealer's parts shelf, even tho' I installed it on the build page.

All I know is that you first wrote that Toyota likes them, that's why it was installed on a Tacoma, and I fired back with my very first reply to that with: If Toyota thinks they're so great why are K&N filters installed almost never, when compared to the paper filters being installed on new Toyotas. Say what you want, I say it's because paper FILTERS better, and there doesn't seem to be too hot of a demand for K&N or they wouldn't be getting outsold by such a wide margain.

btw: If you just can't seem to get enough of me, and you find this topic so spellbinding, how bout we shift this to our private inboxes? Can I send you a buddy request? ;)

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 07-14-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #83
b_hickman11

Quote:
Just because you can add something on a build page doesn't mean it's factory installed. Most sites even warn that prices might not be correct because DEALER "installation charges" will vary. I doubt that my tip was installed on the assembly line, probably yanked off of the dealer's parts shelf, even tho' I installed it on the build page.

All I know is that you first wrote that Toyota likes them, that's why it was installed on a Tacoma, and I fired back with my very first reply to that with: If Toyota thinks they're so great why are K&N filters installed almost never, when compared to the paper filters being installed on new Toyotas. Say what you want, I say it's because paper FILTERS better, and there doesn't seem to be too hot of a demand for K&N or they wouldn't be getting outsold by such a wide margain.

btw: If you just can't seem to get enough of me, and you find this topic so spellbinding, how bout we shift this to our private inboxes? Can I send you a buddy request? ;)
I watched my Taco roll off of the delivery carrier from GST. I even helped them pull off the white protective coverings! I touched the truck before the dealership touched it! So Im sorry your little tip was probably glued on at your dealer but my system was done before the dealer! Yes I did say that Toyota likes them. Do you think they would still install them on SOME of their products if they hated them?? Surely not. There is a lot of products out there that are better than what Toyota installs on their products. Tires for example. They install tires that only last around 25,000 miles when there are tires out there that can triple that! But I guess Toyota knows what is better huh!
Old 07-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #84
b_hickman11

Quote:
No, I'm trying to make you realize just how misleading K&N is when they state their "increase in performance and acceleration" claim that's listed with the Yaris P/N on the K&N *buy now* link - IF they were honest they'd put the "K&N Power Gain Search by Vehicle" link right next to the "buy now" option. They won't ever do that, they might lose some sales.

I never made any claims about the Yaris, I knew it'd never be power that could be felt on a stock Yaris, I'm just asking about K&N's so-called "claims" about increased performance on their boxes and what they claim on their buy-me-right-now page...and what other people say on these type threads.

I've had K&N on my other vehicles, and I made a decision about K&N based on my experience...in 26 years at this I've been under a hood or 2. I stick with what I saw. Next time I'll get you a photo so you won't belly ache and get defensive for days, hopefully.

To increase their sales, I trust. The info is a sales pitch for the Yaris owner that went to the trouble to see what P/N fit their car, and just above the buy link is the claim about increased performance. Sad.

That's something a buyer does AFTER they've already hit the "buy me" now link, perhaps, or never does at all when they have the filter in their hands at the parts store, reading the claims on their box?

Wonder why they say "increase in performance and acceleration" ...on every box?
They have a link on their Homepage to find out the HP gains. That sounds honest to me. You had to go through several pages to get to “Buy Now.” Maybe their webmaster thought people were smarter than that, but I guess not.

You are on a Yaris web site talking about how bad they are for the Yaris. So I would say that you are making a claim!

And if you want some pics, then here you go!

The first pic is of my carbon trap on the wife's 07 with 36,000 miles with a K&N. If you notice, it is still completely white, just like when it came over on the boat. My 08 with 24,000 miles with a K&N is still white too!

The second and third pics are of the intake. Our intakes are not design like those on a high performance race car, as you probably already know. They are not designed to have air forced into the system. Rather it is design to suck in fresh air that is coming from around the headlight. So there is not even enough air stream to push oil up into the air. And I'm sure you know how gravity works....so if the filter does get over oiled, it will drain down into the bottom of the air box while the car is at rest. So maybe your other vehicles you have tested a K&N filter on had a poor design of an intake or maybe you had one of those system where you wanted to force every bit of air you could possibly get in.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #85
1stToyota

Quote:
I watched my Taco roll off of the delivery carrier from GST. I even helped them pull off the white protective coverings! I touched the truck before the dealership touched it!
Nice. You made the same statement a year ago, but you didn't go into any of the details about watching it roll off the carrier...etc.

Quote:
So Im sorry your little tip was probably glued on at your dealer but my system was done before the dealer!
Not what I was talking about. I was talking about how most "power packages" are dealer installed...sometimes the vehicle has to be drop-shipped to Florida (for example) when you start adding "build" options to a new car/truck. But it seems to not be the case, with your Tacoma. Not how it usually works, so not a very good example.

Quote:
Yes I did say that Toyota likes them. Do you think they would still install them on SOME of their products if they hated them?? Surely not. There is a lot of products out there that are better than what Toyota installs on their products. Tires for example. They install tires that only last around 25,000 miles when there are tires out there that can triple that! But I guess Toyota knows what is better huh!
I thought we were talking about filters...

BTW, I've seen dealers install "power packages" that they "hated" because of various reasons - they don't have to love what they sell and install...don't know why you think that's some sort of law. Personally I'd think it would be up to the customer to love it or hate it.

And I don't see any new PMs, so I guess it was too much to ask to keep this inspirational exchange to ourselves. You're right, we really should share it with our friends.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 07-14-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #86
1stToyota

Quote:
They have a link on their Homepage to find out the HP gains. That sounds honest to me. You had to go through several pages to get to “Buy Now.” Maybe their webmaster thought people were smarter than that, but I guess not.

You are on a Yaris web site talking about how bad they are for the Yaris. So I would say that you are making a claim!

And if you want some pics, then here you go!

The first pic is of my carbon trap on the wife's 07 with 36,000 miles with a K&N. If you notice, it is still completely white, just like when it came over on the boat. My 08 with 24,000 miles with a K&N is still white too!

The second and third pics are of the intake. Our intakes are not design like those on a high performance race car, as you probably already know. They are not designed to have air forced into the system. Rather it is design to suck in fresh air that is coming from around the headlight. So there is not even enough air stream to push oil up into the air. And I'm sure you know how gravity works....so if the filter does get over oiled, it will drain down into the bottom of the air box while the car is at rest. So maybe your other vehicles you have tested a K&N filter on had a poor design of an intake or maybe you had one of those system where you wanted to force every bit of air you could possibly get in.
No, not too honest when you consider what's written on every single filter box they stick a filter in, not honest at all.

Show me where I said it's bad for the Yaris. Never said that, not once. I'm trying to get you to just explain what they mean by making so-called increased performance claims on the Yaris box and the Yaris *buy me now* link from K&N's site.

And thanks for chosing me to devote your attention to when others are saying things against K&N on this thread.

Guess you can't comprehend the velocity of the airflow @ WOT

I don't know...doesn't appear that the dust problem is quite as scarey as you made it out to be. A paper filter would probably last longer than 1 month, like you claimed, and could probably be just shaken out & with a little bit of low pressure shop air applied could be put back in service just as easy as the K&N.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #87
b_hickman11

Quote:
Nice. You made the same statement a year ago, but you didn't go into any of the details about watching it roll off the carrier...etc.

Not what I was talking about. I was talking about how most "power packages" are dealer installed...sometimes the vehicle has to be drop-shipped to Florida (for example) when you start adding "build" options to a new car/truck. But it seems to not be the case, with your Tacoma. Not how it usually works, so not a very good example.

I don't know...doesn't appear that the dust problem is quite as scarey as you made it out to be. A paper filter would probably last longer than 1 month, like you claimed, and could probably be just shaken out & with a little bit of low pressure shop air applied could be put back in service just as easy as the K&N.

I thought we were talking about filters...

BTW, I've seen dealers install "power packages" that they "hated" because of various reasons - they don't have to love what they sell and install...don't know why you think that's some sort of law. Personally I'd think it would be up to the customer to love it or hate it.

And I don't see any new PMs, so I guess it was too much to ask to keep this inspirational exchange to ourselves. You're right, we really should share it with our friends.
Yes I did make a statement a year ago....about my 2008 Yaris not my 2005 Taco. I did a preference order on the Yaris. Which means I picked it up the same day it came. The Taco was a whole other story. I just happen to be there when it was brought in by the carrier. When I talked about "Toyota" Im talking about the folks who build the trucks from the ground up. I'm not talking about Bobby Joe at the dealership that has the job of installing mods that the service manger ordered off of ebay. I would hate it too if my job was to install things that don't exactly match up the the vehicle or something that was installed by a robot at the plant.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #88
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Would you get better airflow by cutting out the carbon trap?
Would it set off a MIL code?
Thanks!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #89
b_hickman11

Quote:
No, not too honest when you consider what's written on every single filter box they stick a filter in, not honest at all.

Show me where I said it's bad for the Yaris. Never said that, not once. I'm trying to get you to just explain what they mean by making so-called increased performance claims on the Yaris box and the Yaris *buy me now* link from K&N's site.

And thanks for chosing me to devote your attention to when others are saying things against K&N on this thread.

Guess you can't comprehend the velocity of the airflow @ WOT

Once again we go back to the fact of how do you know it's not honest?? Have you tested it?? Have you seen someone test it on a Yaris? How do you know it doesn't increase the HP? Are you God and your just not telling us. Come on now, don't hold out....because I have a lot of questions!

How does it not "appear that the dust problem..." is bad?

Yes there have been about 2 or 3 other people that have posted that they don't like K&N for some reason or another. Just like there have been other people stating that they do like them....so whats your point?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #90
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Would you get better airflow by cutting out the carbon trap?
Would it set off a MIL code?
Thanks!
Not for sure. I think the carbon helps soak up any fumes that is in the air that might would eventually set a sensor off or cause air ratios to be off.
Closed Thread