Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2006, 07:08 AM   #37
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Mobil One didn't do a thing for my mileage (I'll still use it though).
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 AM   #38
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
That's because Mobil 1 is still a group III minaeral oil.

Black Yaris
if you have a manual trans use amsoil 75w90 gear oil.
It will increase your mileage slightly and free up a bit more power
Old 11-23-2006, 06:53 AM   #39
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
sorry to say, your thoughts are wrong. RPM and speed is dependent on the gearing of the transaxle. ie. if you are going 100km/h in 5th gear, your rpm will ALWAYS be the same. the ONLY way for any changes to affect your rpm-speed relation is if you change your overall wheel diameter.

yes, you may be using less fuel to go the same speed, which is why mods usually increase mileage, but it does not change the rpm-speed relation in any way.
I haven't been keeping up with this thread. Ron, I have to disagree. My RPM is at least 300 - 400 lower at the same speed on the highway. I'm not a tech and I don't really care how at this point, but I know for sure that it's different. All I know is that the needle on my tach is in a different spot at the same speed. I tried it out and watched the diff.

I'm also getting way better gas mileage.
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:54 PM   #40
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Drives: 07 PW Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin View Post
Mobil One didn't do a thing for my mileage (I'll still use it though).
Well after the lesson we got from 07 he still hasn't given you a concrete answer to why you are INDEED getting better mileage.
It was not an illusion. You increased the volumetric efficiency of the engine.
With the denser intake charge, and static ignition timing from the ecu stock program you will be able to increase your mileage slightly. It is slight but it is still an increase. In some cases you can get a few more MPG, but some don't ever see it. Due to the fact that they most likely see WOT more often now after modding the car.
Anyway, figured you might want someone to back up your theory.
DTM_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:56 PM   #41
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Drives: 07 PW Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS View Post
That's because Mobil 1 is still a group III minaeral oil.

Black Yaris
if you have a manual trans use amsoil 75w90 gear oil.
It will increase your mileage slightly and free up a bit more power
I would not jump to conclusions about increased power and mileage from adding AMS oil.
DTM_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:08 AM   #42
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng View Post
When my OEM tires expire, I may buy a set of tires with lower rolling resistance and I believe I will get slightly better acceleration and slightly better fuel economy as a result.
be care full with tire pressure because I guess that mean they have tighter rubber and it lowers mpg a lot compared to stock
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:37 AM   #43
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i'm not going to act like i know everything mechanically with a car, but i can tell you with experience that an intake does increase your gas mileage. when i had my GTI, it had a Neuspeed intake on it, and on almost a full tank, i got between 360-400 on the full tank. however, in order to pass smog, i had to spend over 200 bucks for an OEM intake box. with that installed, i could only get between 320-360 on the full tank. all of this i calculated by using the trip-ometer and dividing the miles by the number of gallons it took to fill up. keep in mind, i drove very conservatively (really feathered the throttle when ever i had the chance to).

as for my Yaris, full tank calculations = avg. 45 mpg. but one time, on a 1/4 tank estimate, i got 62.something mpg. does anyone here know if the fuel guage is set to "drop" slower when it's full? i noticed that when i get to the half-way mark, the bars tend to disappear quicker.

Last edited by Kaotic Lazagna; 12-17-2006 at 04:05 AM. Reason: sick and tired...need to proof read things =P
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:30 AM   #44
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
i got between 360-400 mpg. however, in order to pass smog, i had to spend over 200 bucks for an OEM intake box. with that installed, i could only get between 320-360 mpg.
OMG the car to end our dependency on crude oil!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:04 AM   #45
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
OMG the car to end our dependency on crude oil!
holy crap, should have proof read that. i meant full tank, not mpg. see what happens when you're sick, plus studying for finals...i'll go back and edit that.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #46
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
...............does anyone here know if the fuel guage is set to "drop" slower when it's full? i noticed that when i get to the half-way mark, the bars tend to disappear quicker.
Your observation is very valid. Please see:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2692

When we try to find out if a modification really improves the car's fuel economy, your observation and what have been discussed in the linked thread must be taken into consideration. I would say scangauge and/or trip computer indications, or in the absence of them, long term average numbers (with methods like : https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=calcMPG) are more reliable than the fuel gauge bars.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #47
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Your observation is very valid. Please see:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2692

When we try to find out if a modification really improves the car's fuel economy, your observation and what have been discussed in the linked thread must be taken into consideration. I would say scangauge and/or trip computer indications, or in the absence of them, long term average numbers (with methods like : https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=calcMPG) are more reliable than the fuel gauge bars.
thanks, i did notice that my friends' cars do the same...oh, and i use the second method said in your second link. i'm not very good with words, so i made my description very long...lol.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #48
swng

You are welcome!
BTW, we all make long posts occasionally. I am trying to make this one short but I am limited by my poor ability.
Enjoy your modifications and happy posting!
Old 12-17-2006, 07:37 PM   #49
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
You are welcome!
BTW, we all make long posts occasionally. I am trying to make this one short but I am limited by my ability.
Enjoy your modifications and happy posting!
lol...yeah. btw, do you know where i can get/order a Belta badge?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #50
swng

Quote:
lol...yeah. btw, do you know where i can get/order a Belta badge?
I am afraid I don't. My main interest is fuel economy (you know, the mpg thing).
May be you can try moving your question to a thread where people discuss subjects like this (I mean, Belta badge) and I am sure you will get a reply from someone helpful and in the know .
Old 12-17-2006, 09:19 PM   #51
Kaotic Lazagna

i looked all over the Internet, and can't seem to find any place that sells Belta badges...
Old 12-18-2006, 02:27 AM   #52
swng

Quote:
i looked all over the Internet, and can't seem to find any place that sells Belta badges...

I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful. Please try posting your queston in the sub forums for cosmetic modifications or classifieds. IMHO, you are asking it in the right forum but the wrong thread. There is no need to get off topic here, no matter how accommodating fellow members are.
You may get some useful replies from those sub forums. Prepare to be surprised by how knowledgeable many fellow members are. You know, this is the ultimate site !
Old 12-18-2006, 02:45 AM   #53
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful. Please try posting your queston in the sub forums for cosmetic modifications or classifieds. IMHO, you are asking it in the right forum but the wrong thread. There is no need to get off topic here, no matter how accommodating fellow members are.
You may get some useful replies from those sub forums. Prepare to be surprised by how knowledgeable many fellow members are. You know, this is the ultimate site !
will do...thanks.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #54
Mr.Yaris

Drives: 2007 "Flint Mica" S-Type
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcove View Post
I haven't been keeping up with this thread. Ron, I have to disagree. My RPM is at least 300 - 400 lower at the same speed on the highway. I'm not a tech and I don't really care how at this point, but I know for sure that it's different. All I know is that the needle on my tach is in a different spot at the same speed. I tried it out and watched the diff.

I'm also getting way better gas mileage.
Well, you're both right, in a sense. The reason why you see lower RPMs when behind a large vehicle at high speeds is very simple- you're lowering the wind resistance that your car has to "fight" against to maintain it's speed. This also equates to better gas mileage for the same reasons. Less wind resistance = less the engine has to work = greater efficiency of engine's power = better gas mileage.
Mr.Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote