Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #19
redbean

Drives: 09 Yaris hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
It's normal for a m/t car to "buck" in first gear. If you want to roll in traffic in 1st then you'll have to press the clutch pedal
And that's a great way to burn out your clutch / throwout bearing, right? I guess I have to change my driving style a bit. In the US where everyone drives automatics, everyone creeps up in traffic because all you do is let your foot off the brake. Now when I drive an automatic, it's starting to feel weird that it pulls forward without my foot on the gas.

When you all say "double clutch into reverse", do you mean after going forward and stopping, or just any time you put it into reverse? Do you rev it? My Yaris crunches into reverse about 75% of the time regardless of whether I just started the car and back out of a parking space, or go from 1st to R to parallel park.

I'm also trying to work on making sure the revs are right when shifting, but it's hard to know where I'm supposed to be without a tach.
redbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #20
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
No crunch reverse gear manual transmission Toyota Yaris

No need to double clutch into reverse...in fact single clutch probably works better. If in neutral and idling, push down the clutch pedal (to the floor stop on a Yaris), shift into second and then, without touching throttle or lifting clutch foot, shift right over into reverse. Skillfully add throttle and lift clutch foot to drive backwards.

(And stop the car before doing all this.)
(Doesn't have to be second gear to do this, but might as well use a forward gear that isn't sticky or showing worn syncro symptoms.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #21
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Finally got around to test driving the low miles, manual Yaris mentioned in this post. The manual shifter felt like what I imagine a 90 year old with arthritis feels like....stiff as hell. I must say I wasn't impressed, at all. Perhaps it was just that particular Yaris. Be that as it may, I'll be sticking with my automatic Yaris for the foreseeable future. While I was there, I did drive one of their Honda Fit manuals. It was a dream compared to the Yaris. Smooth as silk and a real pleasure to drive. If it didn't have so many miles, I might have bought it.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #22
dogsridewith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Finally got around to test driving the low miles, manual Yaris mentioned in this post. The manual shifter felt like what I imagine a 90 year old with arthritis feels like....stiff as hell. I must say I wasn't impressed, at all. Perhaps it was just that particular Yaris. Be that as it may, I'll be sticking with my automatic Yaris for the foreseeable future. While I was there, I did drive one of their Honda Fit manuals. It was a dream compared to the Yaris. Smooth as silk and a real pleasure to drive. If it didn't have so many miles, I might have bought it.
Stiff into which gears?
Did the clutch release (the motor loads up and the car starts to move) when the pedal is still almost right at the floor stop?
Old 11-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #23
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
dogsridewith, seemed like it was stiff into all gears. It really sucked, to be quite honest. The shifting process was sound, but it was just stiff in all gears. I couldn't imagine driving that Yaris every day. I'd go bonkers and end up in the nut house, for sure. Love my auto Yaris, however. In all actuality, there had to be something wrong with that manual. First time I've ever driven a Yaris manual, so I hope to God not all Yaris manuals are like that one. The Honda Fit manual, however, was really awesome. Loved it.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #24
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
dogsridewith, seemed like it was stiff into all gears. It really sucked, to be quite honest. The shifting process was sound, but it was just stiff in all gears. I couldn't imagine driving that Yaris every day. I'd go bonkers and end up in the nut house, for sure. Love my auto Yaris, however. In all actuality, there had to be something wrong with that manual. First time I've ever driven a Yaris manual, so I hope to God not all Yaris manuals are like that one. The Honda Fit manual, however, was really awesome. Loved it.
short shifter.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #25
dogsridewith

Maybe why it was for sale.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #26
redbean

Drives: 09 Yaris hatchback
I have to say, I drove a Honda Fit manual before I pulled the trigger on the Yaris, and I hated the shifter. It felt like cheap plastic and metal that would explode in my hand if I shifted it too aggressively.
redbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #27
maximumunicorn

Drives: 2003 Tundra, 2008 Yaris
I just test drove an '08 Yaris base with 56k miles and the manual transmission felt great to me (shifter wasn't stiff in this example at least). I prefer it to the two Fits I've test driven. Clutch engagement is higher in the pedal stroke than I was expecting in the Yaris, but nothing you couldn't get used to.
maximumunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote