Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #55
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
There is no doubt in my mind that this is a design flaw by Toyota. We haven't had this problem yet and this is our second winter.

If we were having this problem too I would definitely join in with you guys.

I think you should gather information from everyone having this issue and going to Toyota as a group. It seems like everyone having this problem lives in a climate which gets cold at least part of the year, you should show this to Toyota and show them how the wiring for the ABS doesn't appear to be designed properly to protect the system from corrosion in this kind of environment.

I wonder how many people who have this problem park outside vs in a garage? I wonder if that makes any difference...
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #56
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that this is a design flaw by Toyota. We haven't had this problem yet and this is our second winter.

If we were having this problem too I would definitely join in with you guys.

I think you should gather information from everyone having this issue and going to Toyota as a group. It seems like everyone having this problem lives in a climate which gets cold at least part of the year, you should show this to Toyota and show them how the wiring for the ABS doesn't appear to be designed properly to protect the system from corrosion in this kind of environment.

I wonder how many people who have this problem park outside vs in a garage? I wonder if that makes any difference...
This is my third winter with this car so your time may yet come lol (I hope it doesn't but ...)
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #57
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
This is my third winter with this car so your time may yet come lol (I hope it doesn't but ...)
I feel that clock ticking..
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #58
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Wow, another one. Hopefully Toyoto isn't as dismissive when the warranty expires on my RAV4. When Honda built their parts (as per my 98 Civic), they definitely didn't engineer it to break down immediately after the warranty expired. I put on over 300,000km of extremely brutal driving on my 98 Civic Hatch, with absolutely no problems/defects (everything under the hood was still original except for timing belt, spark plugs, air/oil filters). There was a situation at 220,000km when my ignition switch wasn't working properly, but Honda had a TSB on it and it was covered.

I can only assume Toyota prioritize those who buy every 5 years and the poor saps who want a trouble free car for 10years are SOL. In which case, when I'm shopping for my next car, I'll be prioritizing Honda... Honda seems to have a good system in place to clean-up/fix on going issues. Also, they seem to take the Canadian market more seriously. Granted, the Yaris is an awsome little car, but It would be nice if Toyota took it more seriously.

Now that the new 09 Fit is out and Toyota has totally neglected the Yaris (other then put on bigger tires), It's not a good time to give up ground in the compact segment.

On a tangent.... I find it interesting that my extended warranty for my 30k RAV4 is identical (cost the same) as the extended warranty for a 15k Yaris.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:29 AM   #59
onizuka

Drives: Yaris Blk 5 Drs RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
Wow, another one. Hopefully Toyoto isn't as dismissive when the warranty expires on my RAV4. When Honda built their parts (as per my 98 Civic), they definitely didn't engineer it to break down immediately after the warranty expired. I put on over 300,000km of extremely brutal driving on my 98 Civic Hatch, with absolutely no problems/defects (everything under the hood was still original except for timing belt, spark plugs, air/oil filters). There was a situation at 220,000km when my ignition switch wasn't working properly, but Honda had a TSB on it and it was covered.

I can only assume Toyota prioritize those who buy every 5 years and the poor saps who want a trouble free car for 10years are SOL. In which case, when I'm shopping for my next car, I'll be prioritizing Honda... Honda seems to have a good system in place to clean-up/fix on going issues. Also, they seem to take the Canadian market more seriously. Granted, the Yaris is an awsome little car, but It would be nice if Toyota took it more seriously.

Now that the new 09 Fit is out and Toyota has totally neglected the Yaris (other then put on bigger tires), It's not a good time to give up ground in the compact segment.

On a tangent.... I find it interesting that my extended warranty for my 30k RAV4 is identical (cost the same) as the extended warranty for a 15k Yaris.
Not to bash any Toyota, I'm sure there are many supporters of Toyota in this forums. But coming from a Honda Accord before my Yaris, I put up 170k without any issue at all. Other than a O2 sensor failing on me at 130k, the maintenance is the only thing I have to worry about. This is my first Toyota, and maybe my last. Do I have to buy a Lexus in order to get the old time Toyota quality control? 2 things that bother me, this on-going speed sensor issue, and weakest paint job of it all. Look at your front hood, you would all agree that it get stone chiped a thousand times already.
onizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #60
steved
Yaris Rules!!

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris Liftback a/t
My ABS and Brake light came on yesterday night. Toyota really needs to get their act together on this problem.

Update: I have an appointment with the dealer later this evening.

Last edited by steved; 01-06-2009 at 02:48 PM.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #61
donairs

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan - Flint Mica
Mine came on this morning. It's been salty and cold, but I've never had this problem before. I called the dealership today and they said they haven't been having any repairs for this issue. Well it seems they are about to start. The service person also told me not to worry.

Update. While driving at lunch today the lights disapearred. I'll be taking this to the dealer ASAP.
donairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #62
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Well -- just try and GUESS what fucking two warning lights just came on AGAIN in my Yaris today!?!?!

Yup -- you guessed it -- the bloody (!) and ABS ones!

I'm more than a little annoyed at experiencing this issue AGAIN, now for the THIRD time, especially after having recently having just been through it as early as ONE MONTH ago in December!

F*CK! Very annoyed this morning now.

Wunderbar.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #63
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

^^ OK. So dropped by car in at lunch for them to disagnose.

And just got the call back saying they need to replace the wiring harness this time (so its NOT a sensor this time around).

Part will be in beg of next week.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #64
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Follow up comment:

So when I was talking to the parts guy afterwards, he mentioned that there are 161 wiring harnesses on backorder!

Jesus.

Looks like there are many with similar troubles as us (not just the ones posting in here)

I wonder if the US Yaris Hatchbacks/sedans are having the same kind of trouble as we Canadians are w/ this ABS sensor BS??

Jem
Old 01-10-2009, 04:43 AM   #65
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
actually you are better of without ABS in winter..on any car.
Big +1 on that! seems on ice i can modulate a locked up wheel a lot better than a wheel that never stops turning.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #66
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Jem Hadar, I had the exact same experience. Had to back 4 times until they finally got it fixed. On the third visit, I was told to wait for a new harness and I finally got it fixed on the 4th visit (total cost was $750 for all 4 visit).

If anyone else if having this problem, it would be a good idea to have them check the harness first and get them to put it into writing if they say it's ok.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #67
onizuka

Drives: Yaris Blk 5 Drs RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Big +1 on that! seems on ice i can modulate a locked up wheel a lot better than a wheel that never stops turning.
Not having ABS can be subjectively better on performance but it's not a reason to lose it due to a malfunction. Afterall, some ppl paid extra to have ABS package in. And failing right after your warranty expiration makes total non-sense. Just like you don't want to say: "it's ok to have my A/C constantly breaking down, without A/C, I can get better fuel mileage".
onizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:29 AM   #68
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I was only talking about the controllability of stopping on ice,for all other applications ABS works fine..
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #69
Maddman

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan (Aero)
Both the parking brake and the ABS light came on this weekend. Took it to the dealer today. They just called and told me that it's the driver rear speed sensor that has malfunctioned. The part is on back order so I have to drive around with no ABS until they get the part.
Maddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #70
Bobby B
Car crazy

Drives: 06 Yaris RS 06 CR-V
Exclamation Another one B!tes the Sensor

My wife's ABS and ! light came on and she the called the dealer on the day of warranty expiry...
ABS sensor - surprise!
I am hoping Toyota will cover it under warranty, less than 20k km and it WAS undercoated.
This definitely seems to be an issue here...
Bobby B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #71
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Here's a funny story. My "!" and ABS lights disappeared, but this should have been stored as a trouble code in my cars computer.

I brought my car in for a maintenance the other day, I asked if they check trouble codes they said yes - well after I got my car back they said there were no codes showing? WTF. I never told them these lights went on until after the service. When I told the guy he looked surprised.

So I'm not sure what is going on here. What I do know is it has been a few weeks since this happened, and I've also been on the highway (about 800km trip) since this happened and the lights haven't shown up again.

Hopefully I got lucky because there is no way I am paying for this obvious defect.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #72
Maddman

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan (Aero)
Mine went turned off 2 days ago. Still waiting for the part(s) to come in. I think that it happens when it's really cold out. We've had a huge cold snap last week and now it's not as cold the sensor is working again. I'm still going to get it fixed though
Maddman is offline   Reply With Quote