Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Hawaii
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2017, 05:25 AM   #1
fujiwaru

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Stupid Recon

Recon inspector failed me on my stickers on my rear side windows and front suspension for being too stiff with the BC Coilovers even with the softest damping setting. I swear this is what he said to me "see the back, bouncy bouncy, the front, no bouncy." like wtf? Is that how you determine if the suspension is good? I'm sure there are other cars with stock suspension that are stiffer than mine (like my dad's vette).

I was thinking of putting the stock suspension up front since the inspector didn't even bother to look behind the wheel to really see my coilovers installed or I could buy softer springs, but shipping alone wouldn't be enough time since my alignment period for recon is pretty much done at the end of the week so i'm out of luck with this.

It's such a hassle to get recon but then again i'm one to follow the rules so I still might go through with this even if that means wasting money getting another alignment done

Last edited by fujiwaru; 10-18-2017 at 05:36 AM.
fujiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Recon?
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
joell

Drives: 2013 Hatchback
So any modifications made to the car needs to pass a Reconstructed Vehicle Inspection ?
joell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
For an inspection that seems so specific, bouncing a vehicle with one's body weight to determine a pass/fail is horribly unscientific or specific

Just throw the oem fronts back in, pass the inspection and then go back to your CO's
Old 10-20-2017, 02:22 AM   #5
fujiwaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joell View Post
So any modifications made to the car needs to pass a Reconstructed Vehicle Inspection ?
Yeah it's a stupid law we have here in Hawaii. Basically to "legally" drive your car on the road and "legally" pass a safety check (separate from recon) you need to have a reconstruction permit. There are some exceptions on what can be done but most has to do with the car's integrity and handling. Lifting or lowering is the main reason people get recon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
For an inspection that seems so specific, bouncing a vehicle with one's body weight to determine a pass/fail is horribly unscientific or specific

Just throw the oem fronts back in, pass the inspection and then go back to your CO's
My thoughts exactly. The inspection calls out specifically for 2 inches of suspension travel where the inspector basically pushes down on the car and does a visual check. When the inspector checked my rear suspension, there was no way my car had 2 inches of travel but yet he said it was good. The front on the other hand didn't pass his version of the visual test.

I just might go the route of throwing the stock suspension on just to get the sticker.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #6
Tebypoeno

Drives: Man
Stupid Recon

So majority of the people here passed recon with your coilovers? Just wondering, for the people that passed the bounce test, what is your spring rate for your coils?
Tebypoeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
fujiwaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebypoeno View Post
So majority of the people here passed recon with your coilovers? Just wondering, for the people that passed the bounce test, what is your spring rate for your coils?
Not much of the Hawaii members here on the form are as active nowadays but from previous posts, most ran airbags and passed, or didn't care for recon and just threw on stock suspensions just to pass a yearly safety check.

I had 5k front and 3k springs rear.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:11 AM   #8
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiwaru View Post
I swear this is what he said to me "see the back, bouncy bouncy, the front, no bouncy."
That is definitely local style.

Hope you got it taken care of!
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Motor Vehicle Inspection Department of Transportation Reconstructed Vehicle

maybe all the ricey stickers initiated the bouncy-bouncy test routine
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote