Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
The Shape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
How many quarts of oil does the Yaris hold?

with a oil and filter change?
The Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:01 AM   #2
kou

Drives: 08 lb
around 3.5qt.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
with a oil and filter change?

I'm not being a smart arse, but this information is in your owners manual in your glovebox.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:42 AM   #4
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
A 1-gallon jug perfectly fills mine, 3.5qt I think is without the filter included, the docs I've found say 3.9qt, and I'm using a very slightly oversized filter to boot which explains the extra 0.1qt capacity.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
I'm not being a smart arse, but this information is in your owners manual in your glovebox.
+1 - There is some VERY useful stuff in it...if your busy....keep it by the toilet and read little parts at a time. LOL
NJBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
linny

Drives: '08 liftback mt
Three quarts is all it takes for my dipstick to read halfway between the dots.
This is with a napa gold filter.
linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
If you are suggesting the elimination of all posts that can be answered in the owners manual or be looked up on a Google workshop manual search the forum will become unpopulated..
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by linny View Post
Three quarts is all it takes for my dipstick to read halfway between the dots.
This is with a napa gold filter.
so you're saying you're driving around a quart low all the time ?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Havana

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door M/T
The Yaris holds a full quart less than my motorcycle. I still haven't gotten use to that.
Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
Tamago, he's not running a quart low....he's running in the sweet spot (same place I run my oil level). If you never check your oil between changes, then right to "F" is good, but that extra 3/4 quart is pretty much useless as far as performance is concerned.
A little less oil keeps windage to a minimum. I've run this level at the track and have never seen any fluctuations in oil pres. or temp that were not directly related to RPM (in fact, I really have to beat on this thing to get an oil temp above 105 C, which is only seen at the end of a 25 min. session).
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuchta View Post
Tamago, he's not running a quart low....he's running in the sweet spot (same place I run my oil level). If you never check your oil between changes, then right to "F" is good, but that extra 3/4 quart is pretty much useless as far as performance is concerned.
A little less oil keeps windage to a minimum. I've run this level at the track and have never seen any fluctuations in oil pres. or temp that were not directly related to RPM (in fact, I really have to beat on this thing to get an oil temp above 105 C, which is only seen at the end of a 25 min. session).
under hard cornering, having that extra quart of oil would be a smart thing. no need to cause oil starvation mid-corner.

but hey, if running a quart low is the "sweet spot" then... do it?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are suggesting the elimination of all posts that can be answered in the owners manual or be looked up on a Google workshop manual search the forum will become unpopulated..
Too many dumb questions - but what do you expect form Sheeplike toyota owners? Yes it is a dumb question but inadvertently a smart one too. Most have found the car to swallow only 3.5Q not what is stated in the manual which is a DRY fill. We never get ALL the oil out. Cant do it. SO 3.5 is good. BTW I wouldnt run it betwen the dots - this HOT puppy needs to be near full. so just under the dot.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBob View Post
+1 - There is some VERY useful stuff in it...if your busy....keep it by the toilet and read little parts at a time. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Hey jambo,

I already said I was not being a smart arse. But it was a simple question that could have easily been answered by walking to the car, opening the passenger door, glove box and looking in the owners manual.

Picture this.

You ask that question.

Then you may have to wait 30 mins next to the pc for an answer, when the car you need to put the oil in is waiting outside and within that car is the answer anyone who can read find in 2 minutes or less.

Don't you think that would be a better option than posting in the first place?

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
The Shape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Well that would have been a good idea, except that this is my wife's car and my wife couldn't fit all her junk (makeup, hairbrush ect.) in the glove box with the manual in there so she took it out and it has been misplaced.
The Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:34 AM   #15
JulieVan
Sweetie

Drives: Yaris
Send a message via AIM to JulieVan Send a message via Yahoo to JulieVan
yea, i bought my car used and it had no manual.

Its a simple question being asked.
Simple answer: 3.5 quarts
JulieVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:49 AM   #16
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
Well that would have been a good idea, except that this is my wife's car and my wife couldn't fit all her junk (makeup, hairbrush ect.) in the glove box with the manual in there so she took it out and it has been misplaced.
A legitimate reason and I believe it was a good question to ask seeing how many people did not use up to 3.9 quarts like the manual says. I thought I was the only crazy one not having to use as much as the manual says. Good to know I am on the same boat as everyone else.

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:22 AM   #17
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBob View Post
keep it by the toilet and read little parts at a time. LOL
I knew I wasn't the only one!! Awesome! By the third session, I already knew the tire psi, tranny oil type & quantity, and where that stupid spare tire jack was located in the car.

.......how much you want to bet there is some new Yaris owner reading this and now wondering, "hey, where is that jack anyway?"
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:57 AM   #18
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I always check the oil level after a change during the first gas fill up.