Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #91
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
here is Chino's last car
Old 04-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #92
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
lol...that Bug's ass is on fire!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:17 PM   #93
Black Yaris
der Zeck

http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/
ya'll gotta check the site it got this from out
Old 04-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #94
Kaotic Lazagna

DAMN!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #95
Go4th

Drives: Yaris S Sedan color Flint Mica
that site is great!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:57 PM   #96
Black Yaris
der Zeck

who will be the first to have a jet propelled Yaris? Anyone live near that guy?
Old 04-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #97
Edd

Drives: None
What the **** is up with people saying it is dangerous to go higher with octane? The manual gives you the LOWEST octane rating the car will run on. The higher the number, the better. There is no damage from going to a higher octane level - you are just putting in purer fuel.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #98
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
you are just putting in purer fuel.
wrong- higher octane has more additives
Old 04-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #99
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
The higher the number, the better. There is no damage from going to a higher octane level - you are just putting in purer fuel.
Octane is not a measurement of caloric content or burn-ability (cetane). It is a measurement of how high a temperature is needed in order to ignite the fuel. This is why premium fuel is usually only required on high performance engines (because they run at higher compression levels which generates more heat).

Higher octane fuel is actually less pure because of the extra additives which are used to make the fuel ignite at a higher temperature. These additives are also why it costs more.

Running fuel of an octane higher than what your engine is designed for can help with knock (detonation) but that is generally where the benefits stop. The detriments are:

- Fouled spark plugs due to the deposits left via incomplete burning.
- Greatly increased emissions due to incomplete burning.
- Fouled O2 sensors due to these emissions.
- Fouled catalytic converter due to these emissions.

Stick to what your engine is rated for. The 1NZ-FE engine in the Yaris is designed for 87 octane gasoline.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:45 PM   #100
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Little bit of the subject but that is why all the early RX7's should run the least octane in the Wankel...slow burn and doesn't promote the carbon buildup problem the rotarys have. Thanks for refreshing my memories on the rotarys Bailout!

But I still believe the computer compensates to allow 87 octane when used....but a higher octane allows the computer to benifit from the 10.5: compression....
Old 04-06-2007, 02:29 AM   #101
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
c430565a.jpg

Actually, that is my last car... and it was baller.

How many 5500 pound cars do you know that can yank a 14 second quarter mile with the heated leather seats on?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:23 AM   #102
Kaotic Lazagna

heh, that's one fast tank! hahaha
Old 04-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #103
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
yes our car can tell the difference between fuel grades... more premium gas gets better gas mileage... plain and simple... if you do not believe me just do it.... then you will know for yourself
Sorry but you're living in the land of dillusion...using octane higher then 87 for your Yaris will give you WORSE milage....why is this so hard for you to understand? Using higher octane means the combustion is RETARDED, meaning that it takes MORE gas to give the car the same power....this means lower milage...the only exception to this is if the car is engineered (tuned) for higher octane....you keep thinking that ALL cars behave the same with higher octane...this is dillusion, or worse.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #104
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Finally Someone Else Is Rational Here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Octane is not a measurement of caloric content or burn-ability (cetane). It is a measurement of how high a temperature is needed in order to ignite the fuel. This is why premium fuel is usually only required on high performance engines (because they run at higher compression levels which generates more heat).

Higher octane fuel is actually less pure because of the extra additives which are used to make the fuel ignite at a higher temperature. These additives are also why it costs more.

Running fuel of an octane higher than what your engine is designed for can help with knock (detonation) but that is generally where the benefits stop. The detriments are:

- Fouled spark plugs due to the deposits left via incomplete burning.
- Greatly increased emissions due to incomplete burning.
- Fouled O2 sensors due to these emissions.
- Fouled catalytic converter due to these emissions.

Stick to what your engine is rated for. The 1NZ-FE engine in the Yaris is designed for 87 octane gasoline.
AMEN Broda!!!! You wrote it right and it is right!!!!! Why some here hold on to superstitions, urban myths, or what use to work with 1960ish cars is beyond me....
Old 04-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #105
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Attachment 4265

Actually, that is my last car... and it was baller.

How many 5500 pound cars do you know that can yank a 14 second quarter mile with the heated leather seats on?
hahah, my sienna does a 0-60 in 7.4, and the 1/4 mile in 16.4. not too bad for any car, let alone a van that seats 7!! my van is probably a little slower than those numbers, since i gots all the goods, like power doors and trunk and heated leather everything, and i run only the required 87. those tests were done using premium fuel. but i can attest to the fact that i've beaten quite a few cars "off the line" using only the required 87...now if we can only cram my sienna v6 into the yaris...

--B
Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #106
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
Sorry but you're living in the land of dillusion...using octane higher then 87 for your Yaris will give you WORSE milage....why is this so hard for you to understand? Using higher octane means the combustion is RETARDED, meaning that it takes MORE gas to give the car the same power....this means lower milage...the only exception to this is if the car is engineered (tuned) for higher octane....you keep thinking that ALL cars behave the same with higher octane...this is dillusion, or worse.
ok Pavel, MR HIGH and MIGHTY.... you explain why it is that everyone that tries putting higher octane fuel in there Yaris gets better gas mileage? In the words of ChinoCharles "Don't you ever shut up?"
Old 04-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #107
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
hehehe thats funny...
Old 04-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #108
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
premium is always cleaner that the regular.....it may not make much to the horsepower but its cleaner..
Closed Thread