Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #37
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
^^^^^ Oops . I just read your other posts (and other's posts) on this thread and realize the difference you are referring to = in performance not MPG. Amazingly faulty assumption on my part, especially since you are 'Mr. 143'. Re my Yaris, I am probably too clouded by MPG as a first thought.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #38
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Above (post #37 meant to appear below #36 but system posted to top of new page instead)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Good to know. For everyday driving (unless going away on a trip), I'm going to remove mine. I have tire sealant and am paying extra for AAA plus coverage (longer free towing range). I've never needed either within my metro, but they'd be available if need be. Normally painless and transparent ways to increase MPG = all good in my book. I just thought (not based on more than a vague hunch really) removing it wouldn't make any difference. I trust your judgement. I don't think you would write this unless you had noticed a difference (even if it isn't much). Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I had to put the spare to use in a car.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #39
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
wow...very nice! you should coat all over crashy...haha...that would be interesting
Took 3 gallons for 2 thick coats on my LC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grey truck-1.jpg (419.1 KB, 155 views)
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #40
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I just realized that it has been a year since I undercoated it. Since Crashy and my 09 are in opposite spots in the garage in preparation for the impending blizzard, I put the 09 on the lift to see how the Herculiner is surviving. Not a bit has flaked off, even with the wicked road salt around here.

Hercu - Under.jpg

Hercu - Rear Fender.jpg

Hercu - Rear.jpg
Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #41
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
i dont even want to think about what's under my car...even with the virgin rear disc brake beam...
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #42
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I just realized that it has been a year since I undercoated it. Since Crashy and my 09 are in opposite spots in the garage in preparation for the impending blizzard, I put the 09 on the lift to see how the Herculiner is surviving. Not a bit has flaked off, even with the wicked road salt around here.

Attachment 49760

Attachment 49761

Attachment 49762
I applied the herculiner undercoating today to my wheel wells! I couldn't apply a second coat due to time constraints and being called into work :( I figured a little dust couldn't hurt and I'll just apply the second coat tomorrow or Wed. Did you do the entire floor pan of your Yaris? I'll try to do the floor pan by next Sunday hopefully. I learned today to buy a paint projector respirator - this stuff made me dizzy and lasted until the middle of my shift tonight >.>
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #43
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyzticZ3r0 View Post
I applied the herculiner undercoating today to my wheel wells! I couldn't apply a second coat due to time constraints and being called into work :( I figured a little dust couldn't hurt and I'll just apply the second coat tomorrow or Wed. Did you do the entire floor pan of your Yaris? I'll try to do the floor pan by next Sunday hopefully. I learned today to buy a paint projector respirator - this stuff made me dizzy and lasted until the middle of my shift tonight >.>
I did do the entire floor pan, and on Crashy2, when I had her gas tank down (to weld the inserts to the floor for the 60/40 rear seat conversion) I even did the area above where the gas tank sits.

You definitely want a good chemical, as opposed to dust, respirator, as the fumes are really bad for you to breathe.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #44
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I did do the entire floor pan, and on Crashy2, when I had her gas tank down (to weld the inserts to the floor for the 60/40 rear seat conversion) I even did the area above where the gas tank sits.

You definitely want a good chemical, as opposed to dust, respirator, as the fumes are really bad for you to breathe.
I swung by home depot for a professional respirator this morning - I'll be up close and personal underneath my car this coming weekend. I didn't notice too much of a difference today while driving my car. I think adding the second coat to the wheel wells and starting the floor pan will be noticeably different *crosses fingers*
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #45
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
How well this structure keeps on metal?
Whether will be with corrosion time under it?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #46
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZEL View Post
How well this structure keeps on metal?
Whether will be with corrosion time under it?
It bonds very well to the painted metal. It is made for coating the bed of a truck to protect the paint and prevent corrosion from abrasion.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #47
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
The body should be washed from a dust before drawing?
Old 02-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #48
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZEL View Post
The body should be washed from a dust before drawing?
Yes. Washed very well to remove any dirt, salt and oils and dried completely before applying.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #49
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
THANK You

This is a great idea - I thought about getting some kind of undercoating to do the rear wheel wells as part of them were missed (bare metal) from the factory.

Autozone has a smaller 2.5 pound can of the same stuff for $29.99, in case folks want a smaller can to do just the wheel wells. Will give it a go one day and try a 2'' or 3'' throw-away brush. - Again, this is a great idea, thanks Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.5 LB Can Of Herculiner From Autozone 29.99 A Can.jpg (127.3 KB, 92 views)
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #50
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
This is a great idea - I thought about getting some kind of undercoating to do the rear wheel wells as part of them were missed (bare metal) from the factory.

Autozone has a smaller 2.5 pound can of the same stuff for $29.99, in case folks want a smaller can to do just the wheel wells. Will give it a go one day and try a 2'' or 3'' throw-away brush. - Again, this is a great idea, thanks Scott
The little can is probably enough to do a couple of coats on the wheel wells and a full single coat of the bottom. Just make sure you either apply it outside or wear a respirator. The fumes during application are nasty and dangerous.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #51
Mittelklasse
Problem, officer?

Drives: '06 Yaris 5DLB 1.5
I did this using roof asphalt coating paint. I only painted the half of the wheel wells that is on the passenger cabin side (the car was undercoated from the dealer).

I also attached patches of rubber insulation foam before coating.

It doesn't reduce the road noise that much, but it does noticeably shift the noise's frequency lower.
I also have done soundproofing using weatherstrip rubber on the B-pillars, and rubber insulation foam in the cavities in front of the doors, and underside of the doors.
The noise became less irritating and I can have a conversation in car clearly up to 80 MPH -- where wind noise is starting to have more effect.
Mittelklasse is offline   Reply With Quote