Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
ruenie

Drives: '08, silver, 2 door+ hatch
I'm so lost...

I bought a 2008 yaris October 2012. Since purchasing it I have felt it jolt like it needs to shift even on flat surfaces (it's an automatic) it also jerks badly downhill. It also has a smell of burning rubber going up hills and mountains. The two Toyota dealerships here think I'm nuts. It also quickly drops going up hills on the interstate from 70MPH-40MPH in a matter of no time. I also last month received a post card from Toyota corporate stating my car is in a pending lawsuit for a possible stuck throttle. What is wrong with my car and do you recommend me getting rid of it? I travel for my job and I can easily travel 200-300 miles for work, I have to have something safe (plus I live in te heart of the Appalachians, West Virginia), and I need good gas mileage,which my yaris gets around 45MPG. I just need advice and insight....
ruenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have 3 automatic transmission Yaris and they all shift fine and have no hill issues, so you may have one with a bad tranny. Start by checking the AT fluid for a burnt smell or look.

This article explains a bit about the lawsuit thing:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/27/bu...pact.html?_r=0
Old 04-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Disconnect the negative battery clamp for a few minutes, clamp it back, and drive the car to work. I'm not sure, but this clearing of the ECU memory, may help the engine/trans to re-learn your driving habits. It's worth a try.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Rather than ditching and passing the buck to the next person which unless mistaken can be punishable by law for knowingly trading in a possible lemon do what Uber suggests. If that doesn't work you need to contact Toyota Corp to validate next steps.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
ruenie

I have already been dealing with Toyota corporate, they couldn't help me all they did was put a claim in, and than from there they told me to contact the Toyota dealership I bought it at and deal with them cause Corp. can't deal with the issue. So my fiancé and I called the dealership up, they are very willing to give their attorneys phone number (right there tells me they know something is wrong). I have filed complaints with the BBB (the dealership hasn't responded back too), and the WV State Attorney Generals Consumer Complaint Office. This isn't right and I am very upset about it. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced these symptoms...
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
ruenie

Also once in a while it hesitates badly to start up...
Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruenie View Post
I have already been dealing with Toyota corporate, they couldn't help me all they did was put a claim in, and than from there they told me to contact the Toyota dealership I bought it at and deal with them cause Corp. can't deal with the issue. So my fiancé and I called the dealership up, they are very willing to give their attorneys phone number (right there tells me they know something is wrong). I have filed complaints with the BBB (the dealership hasn't responded back too), and the WV State Attorney Generals Consumer Complaint Office. This isn't right and I am very upset about it. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced these symptoms...
You'll find that almost everyone on here has had very good experience with their Yaris, but there always the possibility of a used one having seen a very rough prior life. Did you get a carfax on the vehicle to see where it came from (rental fleet, etc.)?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
ruenie

Yes I got a carfax it originally was for sale here at a local dealership. It has stayed here locally, I have often wondered why someone would trade off a gas saver after 4 years of owning it with 62,000 miles on it, most people here average a commute one way of 40 miles a day for work, and with best paying jobs in a county being 10/hr. The dealership pulled up the recall history and looked at it and didn't give it to us. I like the car, it goes like a tank in the snow, good mpg, but I want to feel safe. And no one is telling me anything as to what's wrong with it, they look at me like I'm dumb...
Old 04-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
ruenie

I'm starting to wonder if it's my transmission
Old 04-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if it's my transmission
Based on your description I would say that is likely. Like I mentioned up top, start by checking the fluid. Incorrect fluid level (too much or too little) can cause some strange behaviors. Burnt smelling/looking fluid is an indicator that the transmission severely overheated, typically to the point of failure.

The one good thing is that automatic transmissions for Yaris with low miles are readily available at junk yards for well under $1000.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
ruenie

I do have a Toyota warranty on the car, also it regularly goes to the dealership for maintenance and they have said nothing wrong with the fluid.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
ruenie

Though I will take a goose and a gander at it tomorrow, at my parents away from all the pooping birds...
Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I wouldn't waste your time with the BBB. Businesses are their gravy, not disgruntled consumers.. It is possible for bad businesses to buy a clean BBB rating.

AG = better bet.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
Alexrahl

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
West Virginia is supposedly a good state for buying cars from dealers. As you are suppose to have protection against faulty cars. I would check the state laws concerning liability for dealerships.
Alexrahl is offline   Reply With Quote