Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #1
lopat08865

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Question 2012 Wiper+Wash goes on by itself

Started car to find wipers and wash both doing their thing & unstoppable no matter what I did. Driving to mechanic they stopped. This morning, 3 days later, they came on 2x while driving, but then stopped inside of a minute each time.

From what I've read it could be the wiper motor or the wiper relay on the stalk? Though mostly an idiot when it comes to cars, from what I read here I feel comfortable swapping either, but not much else

ASAP advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
lopat08865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Remove the lower steering column cover (two screws that become visible when you turn the steering wheel to one side and the other, and one screw by the tilt lever), then unplug the two connectors at the base of the wiper stalk. Drive for a couple days that way and see of they come on. If they do it is the wiper motor, if they do not it is the stalk.

There are no other relays, other than the ones that are built into the stalk.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
lopat08865

Roger! Shall do!

From what I read here, was hoping you'd be among the ones who replied :-)

So simple and sure a troubleshoot w/no upfront outlay of $. Let you know how it turns out. Thanks!!!
Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #4
lopat08865

Nice try but no go. Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Remove the lower steering column cover (two screws that become visible when you turn the steering wheel to one side and the other, and one screw by the tilt lever), then unplug the two connectors at the base of the wiper stalk. Drive for a couple days that way and see of they come on. If they do it is the wiper motor, if they do not it is the stalk.

There are no other relays, other than the ones that are built into the stalk.
Disconnected wiper arm stalk & replaced it with a used one. No reoccurrence of problem for 2 days then it happened again today.

Thought about replacing wiper motor but decided against it because I've been persuaded that the problem lies exclusively with the washer function. Why? The wipers are SUPPOSSED to come on whenever the washer functions, so it's a washer problem, no?

So I still don't know what to do. I guess it's possible the replacement wiper stalk assembly I bought on eBay is also bad. I could buy/try another used one [or new from Toyota for $165].

Made a diagnostic appt w/Toyota for Friday at $107/hour. Really, really hoping someone here has something better to try!

[PS: Toyota parts confirmed what CTScott said: there is NO other relay for the wiper than what's in the stalk. They thought it sounded like a "Spiral Cable" a/k/a "Clock Spring", which parts out at $715 before labor ... ouch!]

[PPS: First occurrence of the problem was the morning after I drove home in the rain. FWIW, I probably turned car off without turning the wipers off. As I say, FWIW.]
Old 03-09-2016, 07:32 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopat08865 View Post
Disconnected wiper arm stalk & replaced it with a used one. No reoccurrence of problem for 2 days then it happened again today.

Thought about replacing wiper motor but decided against it because I've been persuaded that the problem lies exclusively with the washer function. Why? The wipers are SUPPOSSED to come on whenever the washer functions, so it's a washer problem, no?

So I still don't know what to do. I guess it's possible the replacement wiper stalk assembly I bought on eBay is also bad. I could buy/try another used one [or new from Toyota for $165].

Made a diagnostic appt w/Toyota for Friday at $107/hour. Really, really hoping someone here has something better to try!

[PS: Toyota parts confirmed what CTScott said: there is NO other relay for the wiper than what's in the stalk. They thought it sounded like a "Spiral Cable" a/k/a "Clock Spring", which parts out at $715 before labor ... ouch!]

[PPS: First occurrence of the problem was the morning after I drove home in the rain. FWIW, I probably turned car off without turning the wipers off. As I say, FWIW.]
Gotta love wrong info from the dealer - The wiper stalk does not route through the spiral cable.

If the stalk did not fix it, then I suspect a pinched wire. The green wire to the washer motor gets grounded to make the washer run when this occurs the logic within the wiper stalk also makes the wiper run. If that green wire is damaged somewhere between the washer motor and the stalk it could be getting intermittently grounded.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #6
lopat08865

Quote:
Gotta love wrong info from the dealer - The wiper stalk does not route through the spiral cable.

If the stalk did not fix it, then I suspect a pinched wire. The green wire to the washer motor gets grounded to make the washer run when this occurs the logic within the wiper stalk also makes the wiper run. If that green wire is damaged somewhere between the washer motor and the stalk it could be getting intermittently grounded.
Thanks again for the quick response :-) Sounds very promising. Since it's an intermittent problem I guess there's no way to test it, I would need to track and replace the entire run of this wire?
Old 03-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks again for the quick response :-) Sounds very promising. Since it's an intermittent problem I guess there's no way to test it, I would need to track and replace the entire run of this wire?
I would start with checking the end under the hood, that goes to the motor. You may simply find an area where it had been rubbing and the insulation is worn.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #8
lopat08865

Quick search seems to show motor attached to reservoir at left front of engine compartment. So that's where I can ID the green wire to start tracing it for inspection?
Old 03-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Quick search seems to show motor attached to reservoir at left front of engine compartment. So that's where I can ID the green wire to start tracing it for inspection?
Correct.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #10
lopat08865

Cancelled my diagnostic tom'w w/dealer. Back to CTScott's original plan to replace stalk 1st, then wiper motor if stalk replacement fails to fix [it didn't].

Figuring even w/rain, I can pull washer fuse & still drive w/wiper function. Saw no crimped wiring in engine compartment & way too much to tear-out-to-track-down the wire's full run.

Still thinking it's washer-switch electrical problem since BOTH go on intermittently.

But saw something here saying that switch inside motor fails to show ground at "park" [or bottom] position, so wipers keep moving until it finds it. So let's try that?

Still appreciate any advice on this thread. I will keep it open until solved.

Opened another thread looking for pdf/imagery/video/or just plain advice on how to get at the wiper motor in a 2012 Yaris H/B.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Cancelled my diagnostic tom'w w/dealer. Back to CTScott's original plan to replace stalk 1st, then wiper motor if stalk replacement fails to fix [it didn't].

Figuring even w/rain, I can pull washer fuse & still drive w/wiper function. Saw no crimped wiring in engine compartment & way too much to tear-out-to-track-down the wire's full run.

Still thinking it's washer-switch electrical problem since BOTH go on intermittently.

But saw something here saying that switch inside motor fails to show ground at "park" [or bottom] position, so wipers keep moving until it finds it. So let's try that?

Still appreciate any advice on this thread. I will keep it open until solved.

Opened another thread looking for pdf/imagery/video/or just plain advice on how to get at the wiper motor in a 2012 Yaris H/B.
It is very unlikely the motor, as the wiper motor could not cause the washer to spray. If you want to definitely prove that, disconnect the grey wire in the smaller wiper stalk connector, which will prevent the backfeed from the washer motor to the wiper logic. When you do that the wiper will still work, and if the wiper does not pop on by itself you will verify that the problem is between the washer motor and the stalk.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #12
lopat08865

Quote:
It is very unlikely the motor, as the wiper motor could not cause the washer to spray. If you want to definitely prove that, disconnect the grey wire in the smaller wiper stalk connector, which will prevent the backfeed from the washer motor to the wiper logic. When you do that the wiper will still work, and if the wiper does not pop on by itself you will verify that the problem is between the washer motor and the stalk.
Disconnected gray wire & will see if wipers ever come on by themselves. If yes then it's likely wiper motor, if no then likely a fault in the washer motor ground wire?

Disconnect of gray wire killed all washer function. Was hoping to find I could still use stalk to wash, followed by then using stalk a second time to do a wipe. Oh well.

But got me thinking, maybe I could splice in a toggle switch on the grey wire? Then, whenever I needed wash, I could toggle-on and use the stalk for a wash-and-wipe? Otherwise, keep it toggle-off, so I always maintain my access to wiper-only function? Any flaws or potential downsides you envision?

Thanks again, sir, as you saved me at least $107 for a dealer diagnostic, plus expectedly hundreds more for a fix. May ultimately end up surrendering to them for a fix, but in the meantime I have hope that, with your help, I can handle this myself for under $50 :-)
Old 03-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Disconnected gray wire & will see if wipers ever come on by themselves. If yes then it's likely wiper motor, if no then likely a fault in the washer motor ground wire?

Disconnect of gray wire killed all washer function. Was hoping to find I could still use stalk to wash, followed by then using stalk a second time to do a wipe. Oh well.

But got me thinking, maybe I could splice in a toggle switch on the grey wire? Then, whenever I needed wash, I could toggle-on and use the stalk for a wash-and-wipe? Otherwise, keep it toggle-off, so I always maintain my access to wiper-only function? Any flaws or potential downsides you envision?

Thanks again, sir, as you saved me at least $107 for a dealer diagnostic, plus expectedly hundreds more for a fix. May ultimately end up surrendering to them for a fix, but in the meantime I have hope that, with your help, I can handle this myself for under $50 :-)
Yes - Removing the grey will disable the washers, but if you want to still be able to use them on demand, until you figure out of the issue is gone with them disconnected, a toggle switch on the grey would do the trick.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:57 AM   #14
lopat08865

Quote:
Yes - Removing the grey will disable the washers, but if you want to still be able to use them on demand, until you figure out of the issue is gone with them disconnected, a toggle switch on the grey would do the trick.
Rainy Monday morning drive to work in the dark makes me think problem *may* still have occurred.

Had the wipers on the whole trip, but after 50 miles driven the yellow "washer empty" light came on. What with the rain & the dark & the wipers going, I couldn't say for sure if the wash came on by itself?