Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
N2scouting

Drives: 2009 3DHB manual Black
Oil Filter

When i purchased my new Yaris 3DLB last week the salesmen told me I should only purchase Toyota oil filters. His reason was that a Toyota oil filter has a check valve inside of it that will keep oil in the top of the engine. This will insure that the overhead cam has oil during start up. Is this true or can I use any good quality after market filter such as Fram or Wix?
N2scouting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
While its under warranty i'd stay with the dealer supplied filter as using a different filter may give them a loophole to weasel out of any engine work that may be needed. Why do you want to use a different oil filter than the recommended Toyota filter?

PS. Fram and Wix filters arent as good as you think they might be. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20875
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
you can buy a case of toyota filters at under $5 each. why in the world would you buy anything BUT at that price? frams are more expensive than that lol

www.partznet.com
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
They can't tell you what filter to use, or indicate that aftermarket oil filters will void your warranty. Tell them to put it in writing, and under the terms of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act the dealer will be obliged to provide his filters to you for free. I just paid $2.08 each (shipped) for a case of Pennzoil filters..."Meets or exceeds vehicle manufacturers' warranty requirements." printed right on the box.

And I wouldn't be too afraid to use Fram, so long as you change it at or before 5k miles. Probably the most installed filter in America, DIY and retail...and some of their P/N look extremely well made. I think they're even OEM for Subaru now, maybe even a few other makes...

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 08-05-2009 at 09:08 AM.
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Toyota oil filters are some of the very best on the market and you can't go wrong with them. Yes, they do have a check valve as the salsman told you. Imagine that, a car salesman actually told you the truth.

On the other hand, FRAM orange oil filters (contrary to popular opinion) are garbage. The orange filters are their cheapest (in both price and consturuction.and are to be avoided.
Google it.

Last edited by RedRide; 08-05-2009 at 10:43 AM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
1stToyota

A check valve in a filter, imagine that. That's almost like saying: This oil filter is designed with a gasket and media; it's special.

And google results for the orange can Fram will say what? Cardboard ends, leaf-spring, etc? Maybe, but not on a newer P/N like I provided for that orange can Fram.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 08-05-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Yeah any filter for the same application should have an anti drain back valve so the oem is not special in that regard. Having said that the Denso made Toyota filters are quality for cheap. Same for Nippons which is what I'm currently running.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Yeah any filter for the same application should have an anti drain back valve so the oem is not special in that regard. Having said that the Denso made Toyota filters are quality for cheap. Same for Nippons which is what I'm currently running.

R2
I like the Nippon filter. Napa sells them through their Altrom/Import line. Last I checked I could get one for $2.70

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 08-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

1st,

Wow that's a sweet deal-I'll have to check that out, thanks!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Old 08-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
The Fram, Tough Guard filter has a heavy silicone anti-drainback valve. The cheaper Fram uses a cheap rubber anti-drainback valve.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
The Fram, Tough Guard filter has a heavy silicone anti-drainback valve. The cheaper Fram uses a cheap rubber anti-drainback valve.
Yeah, the Fram "Tough Gaurd" filters are OK. It' s the cheap orange filters that are less than desiable.

BTW, to no one in particular.....
Just becase something is popular dosen't make it good.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Yeah, the Fram "Tough Gaurd" filters are OK. It' s the cheap orange filters that are less than desiable.

BTW, to no one in particular.....
Just becase something is popular dosen't make it good.
I'll pretend that wasn't directed at me

What I was getting at is that outlets like WalMart probably do HUNDREDS of oil changes, everyday, coast-to-coast, using mainly Fram filters/Pennzoil oil, and engine failure rate due solely to filter and/or oil probably rates as low as any other filter/oil produced. But people sure do like to single out Fram filters for being junk and Pennzoil for sludging up motors. If that were true, I doubt they'd still be so popular and so widely used, out-selling the #2 selling oil filter 6-to-1.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 08-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

LOL

So true! My dad's had several engine's go 200k plus on Fram's but man do I cringe when I cut those things apart!

That old Pennzoil myth just won't die! LOL

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 08-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Furthermore, with the orientation of the filter on the 1NZFE the ADBV doesn't really affect whether there is immediate oil flow or not... the oil simply can't drain out of the filter.
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #15
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
"Meets or exceeds vehicle manufacturers' warranty requirements." printed right on the box.
this brings back the movie Tommy Boy in a big way...
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #16
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
this brings back the movie Tommy Boy in a big way...
Ha Ha. One of my favorite movies of all time-it's hard to go a day without quoting it!

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 08-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #17
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
I use Super Techs from Wal-Mart. They are only about $2.25 each and they work just as good as any other major brand.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #18
Fenrizwolf
I used to have more posts

Drives: '10HyundaiTucson'07Impreza
You get what you pay for.....
I use the Toyota filter that is recommended.
Fenrizwolf is offline   Reply With Quote