Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2007, 07:08 AM   #19
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #20
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
I wish he had snow in sydney.....the joy of calling in late for work... :)

the joy of makin my name in the snow.......in yellow
Old 01-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #21
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandj View Post
I have not been impressed with the handling in snow. I believe the bridgestone tires to be most of the problem. I think a good set of snows on the front will make all the difference.
x2

My 99 monte carlo driven sanely would slide all over the place :(... and my 2wd blazer loves to fishtail... the yaris doesnt require anything special in the snow, but its also not excellent.

With snow tires I think it would be a great winter car, but for my purposes with mostly plowed roads... the stockers hold up great.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #22
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
My sister says her LB ran really well the last three mornings here in Portland, OR.

Here's a shot of ours earlier this week - it just sat in the drive until yesterday aftenoon.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #23
palsan

Drives: yaris 3 dr hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22 View Post
I wish he had snow in sydney.....
Careful what you wish for ...
palsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #24
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
The local cleaning crew does a better job of drinking coffee and taking naps in their cabs than plowing.
Weve had over 8 inches of snow in the past 24hrs. Winter tires would make a huge difference over the crappy stock all-seasons. The tread pattern doesnt lend itself well to cleaning themselves out.

I havent had any real problems but the front lip does a great job of skimming about 2 inches off the top of the fresh snow.... I think If I had springs I could plow my own way to work.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #25
spkrman
Banned

i'd love to see a yaris plow truck, or what would you even call that? a plow sub-compact?

would kinda suck when you get some snow pushin and run out of torque :)
Old 01-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #26
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
yeah I think the Yaris sucks in the snow, I think it is mostly due to the crappy stock tires, my wife's 03 Alero is 100 times better in the snow than my car, again I think it is all in the tires.
Stock Potenza RE92's have a UTQG of 120
Average all season radial 420
Wife's Potenza G009's have 600
UTQG=Universal Tire Quality Grade
Old 01-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #27
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Somethings View Post
My sister says her LB ran really well the last three mornings here in Portland, OR.

Here's a shot of ours earlier this week - it just sat in the drive until yesterday aftenoon.
^^ Great photos guys! Love the looks of Yarises covered in snow!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #28
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
damn, i was going to take a picture in december when we got 3 feet of snow in one night.
you couldn't actually see much of the car though, just a pile of snow.

i had a late hockey game that night and i had to help push out 5 cars from the parking lot, my yaris with stock tires and one year of wear had no problems, i didnt' get stuck.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:39 PM   #29
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
......................i had a late hockey game that night and i had to help push out 5 cars from the parking lot, my yaris with stock tires and one year of wear had no problems, i didnt' get stuck.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 AM   #30
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Tires would help the Yaris but the Yaris will never be a great "snow" car. That is why the AWD and 4 wheel drive vehicles are out there. But then those cars will never get the MPG as the Yaris. Tradeoff but where I live the snow/ice is not often (though we got snow/ice yesterday).

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #31
spkrman
Banned

handled great when I was spinning around a parkin lot yesterday! Thats the best part of snow, and a handbrake :)
Old 01-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #32
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
AWD isn't the biggest priority for winter conditions, it's the snow tires that are the most important factor. There's too many city slickers driving AWD cars/trucks mated to regular tires who are misguided into thinking they've got a good winter setup. With the AWD system, you might be able to accelerate more quickly on the slick stuff, but it doesn't mean your braking or handling dynamic is any better then the 2 wheel drive. It's the handling and braking capabilities that'll keep you out of the snow filled ditch and snow tires will improve your chances.

I think the Yaris is above average in the snow, even with the small wheelbase (In snow, long wheel base is usually ideal combined with light weight). The Yaris has a good braking system (with the ABS) and good handling dynamics and is very light. All it needs in some snow tires to make it shine.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:50 AM   #33
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
[COLOR="Red"]I'm in Southern, NH and we have had some light snow here (snow far)...not counting the ice storm we had last week. My Yaris had crap for traction on light snow with the stock tires (GoodYear) that have only 5500 miles on them and my speed was with caution on the back "curvy roads" here in town . This is my first winter with this car and I was taking it easy to see how she would handle. On straight runs....fine, no problem. And yes, I have traveled these same roads before with previous vehicles with no problems. Maybe I will invest in some winter rubber for next year. Can't afford new rubber at this time right now. I'd like to find a set of rims first .
I'm not saying the Yaris sucks in the snow, I'm saying mine does not have good traction on crap for snow on curvy roads at cautious speed/s. I got the stock GoodYear on mine. Funny thing is, we have not had a storm yet and it's almost the end of January!!!
....let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.........la,la,la,la,la,la...........
sambo42xa
Southern, NH
21* degree's here right now.
sambo42xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #34
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I believe the 07 Yaris, here in Canada, are equipped with Bridgestone Potenza, which are OK in snow for all year tires. It's a good thing that they burn out quickly, since I'm looking forward to replacing them for dedicated winter tires and get a new set of alloys for the summer.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #35
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo42xa View Post
[COLOR="Red"]I'm in Southern, NH and we have had some light snow here (snow far)...not counting the ice storm we had last week. My Yaris had crap for traction on light snow with the stock tires (GoodYear) that have only 5500 miles on them and my speed was with caution on the back "curvy roads" here in town . This is my first winter with this car and I was taking it easy to see how she would handle. On straight runs....fine, no problem. And yes, I have traveled these same roads before with previous vehicles with no problems. Maybe I will invest in some winter rubber for next year. Can't afford new rubber at this time right now. I'd like to find a set of rims first .
I'm not saying the Yaris sucks in the snow, I'm saying mine does not have good traction on crap for snow on curvy roads at cautious speed/s. I got the stock GoodYear on mine. Funny thing is, we have not had a storm yet and it's almost the end of January!!!
....let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.........la,la,la,la,la,la...........
sambo42xa
Southern, NH
21* degree's here right now.
"crap for traction", "crap for snow"..........oop's, sorry..for those of you who do not know this slang.....it means " is not worth S H I T". Just in case you were wondering.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #36
qpid

Drives: BB 07 LB with Power Pckg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
^^ Great photos guys! Love the looks of Yarises covered in snow!

We have plenty of snow here in Michigan.
Here's a short vid of my Yaris getting snowed upon. BTW the garage was full so that's why the my poor Yaris is out in the cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb-I9TkytHM
qpid is offline   Reply With Quote