Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
jtown

Drives: Yaris
Radio stays on, doors won't lock

I've had a weird problem with my '08 sedan for a few weeks now. It's very consistent and seems weird but it's easy to describe...

When I turn the key to off, the stereo stays on for around 5-10 seconds then turns off. I haven't timed it exactly but it's in that range. It stays on even if I remove the key completely. Also, if I get out right away and close the door, the doors won't respond to the lock signal immediately. That's pretty much it. It's not a "sometimes" thing. Happens every single time I shut off the car.

Oddly, it seems that the faster I get out and try to lock the car, the longer the delay before it will lock. If I go straight from running to off, out, and clicking the lock button on the key, it can be as long as 20 seconds before the doors will respond to the lock signal. If I wait until the radio shuts off then get out and close the door, it will lock immediately.

Has anyone else experienced this?
jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown View Post
I've had a weird problem with my '08 sedan for a few weeks now. It's very consistent and seems weird but it's easy to describe...

When I turn the key to off, the stereo stays on for around 5-10 seconds then turns off. I haven't timed it exactly but it's in that range. It stays on even if I remove the key completely. Also, if I get out right away and close the door, the doors won't respond to the lock signal immediately. That's pretty much it. It's not a "sometimes" thing. Happens every single time I shut off the car.

Oddly, it seems that the faster I get out and try to lock the car, the longer the delay before it will lock. If I go straight from running to off, out, and clicking the lock button on the key, it can be as long as 20 seconds before the doors will respond to the lock signal. If I wait until the radio shuts off then get out and close the door, it will lock immediately.

Has anyone else experienced this?

It's normal. The car has a 10 second delay on the electrial system when the ignition is turned off before everything is shut down. It's a convience thing. So if you turn the car off and suddenly see you have a electric window still down you can roll it up. Nothing to worry about and just take it in stride. It's not a defect in the car it's designed that way.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
It's normal. The car has a 10 second delay on the electrial system when the ignition is turned off before everything is shut down. It's a convience thing. So if you turn the car off and suddenly see you have a electric window still down you can roll it up. Nothing to worry about and just take it in stride. It's not a defect in the car it's designed that way.
No, it's not normal. I've had the car since it was new and this is not how it's operated in the past.

Something I forgot but noticed again this weekend is that the interior light doesn't come on when the key is turned off. It doesn't turn on until I open the door.

Again, not normal. Normal behavior is for the internal light to turn on when the engine is turned off, for the stereo to turn off when the key is turned to the off position, and for the doors to respond immediately to a lock command from the remote. The only thing that should work for a brief period after turning off the key is the windows.

There's no aftermarket alarm or stereo. All stock equipment.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
Maybe you have an interactive alarm system
MickZEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
looks like your stereo is tapped in to your dome lights.. weird setup.. but not really an issue.. but the lock is weird..seems like your car still thinks the key is still inserted...
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
jtown

Figured it out by pure chance. I cleaned out the car and suddenly it was acting normal when I shut the engine off. Traced it back to unplugging an inverter that was plugged into the cigarette lighter and tucked under the passenger seat. I occasionally use it to charge stuff when I'm on the road and had left it plugged in but turned off rather than tossing it in the trunk after its last use. For some reason, that throws off the car's system. If the inverter is turned on when the ignition is turned to off, the car shuts off normally (including power to the cigarette lighter). If the inverter is turned off when the ignition is turned to off, things get weird.

So, if you turn the engine off but the radio keeps playing for several seconds, the dome light won't turn on until the door opens, and the remote can't lock the doors for about 20 seconds, try unplugging whatever's plugged into the cigarette lighter.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Inverter...

The input circuit has a LARGE Capacitor that acts like a small battery and is charging the acc circuit via the lighter plug, and the computer system in the car is "thinking" the engine is still running.... till the residual voltage effectively bleeds away, then the electronics will activate the system however it nomally would have functioned. Try connecting to the battery directly, you'll see a pretty large spark when the connection is made due to the charging of the capacitor.
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamBeecher View Post
Maybe you need to bring it to the person who can fix it. Do not wait that this problem will get worst.

Hollywood Locksmith
Yeah, better take that power inverter to a locksmith, as they are the only ones that are professionally trained to unplug something from the lighter plug in a Yaris.

Oh, and make sure to show him this card when you get there:

Name:  threadnecro[1].gif
Views: 2788
Size:  98.1 KB

Happy 600th post, me!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote