Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
Trilixia

Drives: Black Sand Pearl Liftback
Maint Reqd FLASHING

Hi!

This morning, my "maint reqd" flashed like 5 times when I started the car at the BF's house and then it turned off after a few seconds. It didn't do that when I drove the car from my house to his apartment earlier today.

Why was it flashing?

It has 10,819 miles now. I bought it used (with 10600mi) from a dealership last week. I haven't done any oil changes to it because it has the dealership sticker reminder to do an oil change at 13,000.

Should I do an oil change anyway?? I am also not sure what type of oil they used.

Please help!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
That's odd... the light is supposed to blink like that for 1,500 miles before a service is due, then turn on solid until it's turned off by the trick posted in a sticky at the top of this forum.

The service points in your mileage span are 10,000, 15,000 and 20,000. Ignore the dealer sticker... they are trying to push the old 3,000 mile oil change paradigm on you when the factory says 5,000 miles. This still doesn't explain why the maintenance light is flashing, though... unless the previous owner fell for the 3,000 mile change intervals, which would put your next expected change at 12,000 miles.

Of course that still doesn't explain how a 13,000 mile sticker ended up on there... lol

I would just turn the light off, then get a 15,000 mile service done. That will put you back into the factory-recommended maintenance window.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Np, thats normal, they say its in intervals, but in intervals after you get serviced I think.

Mine never went off at exactly those points but after them.

It is just telling you to get serviced when you can, maybe it has been 3000+miles on the oil? If you just changed it and now thats happening, then go to them and let them know, and most likely it will be a 15 second fix, if the place is too far, there are directions on how to reset the service light somewhere on here, it has something to do with pressing down the ODO button, turning the key to on, waiting till it fills up with bars, and then it resets, let it go and your all set.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
Trilixia

TY so much for your help. The BF said that he can reset the service light for me. I don't know if I should still do an oil change. Who knows what the previous owner did to this car and also if the dealership really changed the oil. I just don't trust any dealership aka stealership... lol.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
Lafiro

No problem.

True, lol I dont trust anyone but my own dealership either.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Trilixia, I also just passed 10k mark and maint rqd light came on and stayed on, no flashing.

The owners manual says if it flashing, get oil change at first convenient time--if on steady get oil change ASAP. But surely the dealer changed the oil before you purchased...maybe.

It also has instruction to re-set service light
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
Trilixia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
But surely the dealer changed the oil before you purchased...maybe.
lol exactly. it's a maybe. I think I am gonna get an oil change soon for peace of mind.

I get so paranoid with anything car-related.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
cute_lil_yaris

Drives: Polar White 2007 Yaris LB
Yeah, if I were you I would just go ahead and get an oil change within the next 1500 miles. I dont see how it could hurt and also like you said..for peace of mind. =)

I get paranoid too. ha ha!
cute_lil_yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #9
Lafiro

I would NOT recommend reseting that service light because it doesn't sound right that it stays on after a few flashes.

Take it in asap.

If it just flashes and then goes away, then your fine. Just make sure you keep track of your miles on your oil.

What I do is simple!
Trip A = Miles per tank
Trip B = Reset on ever oil change. Incase I forget I check, like right now I got 3900miles on my synthetic oil, and its still not brown. But I dont ever really pass 3500miles so one of these days Ill bring the car in for a oil change.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #10
Trilixia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
If it just flashes and then goes away, then your fine. Just make sure you keep track of your miles on your oil.
I counted yesterday. It flashes 7 times and then, it stops flashing. I took it to the dealership and they said that the dealership where i got the car from should have serviced it before even giving it to me. They did reset it though without checking it.

I'll have the BF check the oil to see if its brown or whatnot. He can always do an oil change for me for free
Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
Lafiro

Oh yeah, the cars we have are all set up to do this either 2 or three times, then it just doesnt do it any more. its because they want to make sure that we all take the car in a few times during the break-in period just to make sure the car is fine. Once it is, if it happens again, which it usually does after 10000 miles, it doesnt mean anything.

But since the car is new, and if the dealership sint far away, just take a drive there, its not going to be bad at all, and might just be informational to you as well as long as you ask a lot of questions. I know I did.

As for flashing those 5-7times, that should be fine, and should just be a reminer to change the oil/have t inspected every 5,000miles or so. So even if you change it like I did again at around 9000, after 10,000 it started flashing the same way you described, and all they said was, it is set up to do it so the customer comes in forcefully; which in my case they just reset it and showed me how because I already went in just days before. Makes sence too since most people dont know what to do with a new car.