Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
eflb55
its EF LB 55

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan (US)
Component or coaxial speakers?

I've heard that component speakers sound better because the tweeter is not near your feet but is mounted farther up. I can understand that speaker placement will make a difference but how large of a difference is this.

This is what I'm looking at for front speakers in my sedan:
Kicker coaxial $100
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kicke...oductDetail.do
Kicker component $200

I really don't want to spend $200 on my front set alone and would like to get the coaxial speakers and I'm just wondering if getting the component is really worth it.
eflb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
^^^I've heard the same thing, and I have component speakers in the front and its really nice! There ideal to separate the highs and lows, so you can still hear the people's voices with the beat meaning its not muddy. Also like you mentioned it creates better sound imaging so it fills the car better and you can hear it in full-so nice! Its also very crisp, clean and clear and when it hits the highs its amazing! Of course it depends how lound the stereo is. I beleive most people get components for the front the coaxial for the rear. I think I have three ways in the back of my car, sorry I'm not too knowlegable on the names. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:14 PM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
First of all, you can get those components for half that price on Ebay. $200 for Kicker components is absolutely ridiculous. They're good, but they aren't worth 200 bones.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...e=kicker+ks6.2

If you're looking at $100 components, you might as well just get two sets of components. They're going to sound better, and you'll only be spending 50 bucks more than getting a set of components and a set of coaxials. Since you have a sedan you can mount the tweeters right up below the rear window. It'll sound sweet.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:24 AM   #4
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
$200 for a pair of Kicker components is ridiculous, yes.

You can get a pair of entry/mid range Focals for that price, and they blow away any component setups by far, if powered by the right amplifier.

Components will generally sound better.
If you have the coin, try to get 3-way component speakers as they will bring out richer sound than 2-way comps.

One tip I strongly suggest: Experiment with your tweeter locations prior to physically mounting them.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:18 AM   #5
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflb55 View Post
I've heard that component speakers sound better because the tweeter is not near your feet but is mounted farther up. I can understand that speaker placement will make a difference but how large of a difference is this.

This is what I'm looking at for front speakers in my sedan:
Kicker coaxial $100
Kicker component $200

I really don't want to spend $200 on my front set alone and would like to get the coaxial speakers and I'm just wondering if getting the component is really worth it.
I went with componants, it was a tight fit for the crossover in the door but worked out, heres a few shots of the 1st, install, i then cleaned up the wiring..

Last edited by punch; 09-27-2007 at 07:45 PM.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
eflb55
its EF LB 55

Ya thats where I thought the tweeter would best fit in the front. Only probably I have with that is that its no better than sticking a sign on my car that says "I have a pretty good stereo system. Steal me!" Not like I live in a bad neighborhood though. I'm having trouble finding any 3-way components for 6.5 on eBay but I'm pretty sure ill just spend 80 or so on the 2-way kicker components if I can't find a reasonable 3-way.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Ya thats where I thought the tweeter would best fit in the front. Only probably I have with that is that its no better than sticking a sign on my car that says "I have a pretty good stereo system. Steal me!" Not like I live in a bad neighborhood though. I'm having trouble finding any 3-way components for 6.5 on eBay but I'm pretty sure ill just spend 80 or so on the 2-way kicker components if I can't find a reasonable 3-way.
tint! you don't have room for 3 way components in the sedan door.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
eflb55
its EF LB 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Since you have a sedan you can mount the tweeters right up below the rear window. It'll sound sweet.
I don't think they make component speakers for 6x9 for the rear of my yaris.

So what I'm leaning towards is going all infinity kappa with first buying just my front speakers (60.7CS, two-way component) and then later my rear (693.7I, 3-way) and an amplifier(figure that out later). This should run me about 100 each set on eBay from the looks of it.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

You could always make a bracket with a 6.5" slot in it to screw into the stock 6x9 location. Bigsky2 drew up a spacer somewhere... I'm too lazy to try and find it though. He will know, or just search it out.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
eflb55
its EF LB 55

is the extra work really worth putting a 6.5 3-way component over a 6x9 3-way coaxial?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Is is really worth the extra work to do anything? You know, screw it, lets all drive stock cars. This is too difficult.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
I don't think they make component speakers for 6x9 for the rear of my yaris.

So what I'm leaning towards is going all infinity kappa with first buying just my front speakers (60.7CS, two-way component) and then later my rear (693.7I, 3-way) and an amplifier(figure that out later). This should run me about 100 each set on eBay from the looks of it.
Kappas are good and all, but they don't make the 4ohm versions anymore, just so you know, so if you were planning on wiring up 4ohm speakers, get References or Kappa Perfects, current Kappa models are 2ohm only. And if you're already shelling out the extra coin for Kappas... you may as well just get the Kappa Perfects, they're worth it.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #13
eflb55
its EF LB 55

ya i was wondering about that. I'm afraid if I get the 2ohm speakers for the front and attach them to my internal amp (50x4) that I might overheat it. I found kappa perfect new on ebay for 180 but I really don't need that much power.