Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
go to standard auto wreckers and get a used one

install it in an hour and go camping
Old 06-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
go to standard auto wreckers and get a used one

install it in an hour and go camping
i found a remanufacturer called CAE canadian auto electric and just found out toyota gets their aftermarket alternators form them as well.. might still get a hook up discount well see.. should be a simple install n then good to go for camping tomorrow.. safe happy canada day by the way!!!

happy canada day to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! safe driving people!

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #21
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
my 07 made the same noise at 65000 or so cost over 700.00 to replace couldn't find a after market alt two years ago
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:37 PM   #22
marcus
toyota

Just got the new alternator installed cost me $150 installation tOok about an hour... Whirring Noise was gone but now new noise tapping sound but i guess thats just the new alt....

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
Old 07-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #23
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Alternators shouldn't make any noise you can hear over the general racket from the engine.

With all the mechanical talent here, I'm surprised nobody suggested just dismantling the alternator and installing new bearings. The job isn't rocket science, and the cost isn't high. Replace the brushes at the same time, and you should be good for years.

If you don't want to do the job yourself, get an auto electric shop to rpelace the bearings and brushes. They can also check out the unit for any other problems.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #24
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
Alternators shouldn't make any noise you can hear over the general racket from the engine.

With all the mechanical talent here, I'm surprised nobody suggested just dismantling the alternator and installing new bearings. The job isn't rocket science, and the cost isn't high. Replace the brushes at the same time, and you should be good for years.

If you don't want to do the job yourself, get an auto electric shop to rpelace the bearings and brushes. They can also check out the unit for any other problems.
There's a nice little shop by me that does just that. You hand them your dead part and they rebuild it on site in the shop. When you go back you get the same part you turned over hours ago.This way there's no core charge either...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #25
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post

That's why I'm rebuilding the old one myself for spare rather than getting $50 credit back...