Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #1
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
Tire Dry Rot? Still Safe?

We bought this car last year from a small dealer. The tires had winters on them that were worn and they replaced it with used michelin harmony tires for inspection. Today I go to rotate them and I realize the tires all have cracks around the grooves beside the shoulder area, not side walls, for half the tire or more.

The tires were made less than 4 years ago, and have plenty of tread. I'm just wondering whether these should be replaced or no?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150810_152829.jpg (378.3 KB, 67 views)
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
DonM

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan, 5 speed
Get rid of them......watch this 20/20 video and you will see why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDgSk5xWkrI
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Absolutely right, I typically replace mine every 5-6 years. Then I always check the date when they are put on. If its more than 4 months old it does not get put on my car.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Maybe I'm not seeing what you're seeing in the picture but to me they look OK. Some cracks in tread area is to be expected. If there were cracks in sidewall I'd be concerned.

Again maybe if I saw tire in person I'd have a different opinion but pic doesn't look bad to me.

Last edited by NYC-SE; 08-10-2015 at 09:38 PM.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
xdarkxfirex

I didnt expect them to be terrible since it's not on the sidewalls, but since they are each side of the tire on all fours for at least half, I'm worried it might get worse.

I called Michelin and they told me to bring it to a local authorized dealer to see if they can do a warranty claim on it
Old 08-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Maybe I'm not seeing what you're seeing in the picture but to me they look OK. Some cracks in tread area is too be expected. If there were cracks in sidewall I'd be concerned.

Again maybe if I saw tire in person I'd have a different opinion but pic doesn't look bad to me.
They shouldn't crack anywhere. I'd finish the season if they don't look too bad, but I wouldn't use them beyond that.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
I don't see the dry rot either. Perhaps a closeup of the affected area would help? Based on the tires being 4 years old, you should have at least 1-2 years left. Contact the manufacturer and ask them how long their tires are good for. Most name brand manufacturers recommend 7 years, and they have every reason to give you the shortest time period they can get away with.

Tires blow out due to overspeed and improper inflation. Of course, the amount of speed and the range of proper inflation becomes tighter with age and once dry rot sets in speed becomes no faster than you can run... :P

Of course, it's your comfort level here. I've actually had a high speed blowout (defective tire, only 1 year old) and if you don't overreact it is unlikely you're going to have a major accident (but anything is possible). The key is remembering to keep a constant speed at first, which means pressing on the gas a little. And keep an iron grip on the wheel, in the first moment you don't want to correct much, just keep it straight. Then you can calmly and casually slow down and pull over.

If you are the type to slam the brakes when anything odd happens, or the type to yank the wheel, you're going to have that major accident. Personally... I'd tell you to work on the bad habits first if that's the case! :)
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:51 PM   #8
xdarkxfirex

I took them into a local shop that does warranties through Michelin. No receipt, no warranty. Took it to another tire shop and they said it was fine, so I guess it is.

Even with the warranty it they will give you a prorated of the same brand. I was at a local shop where brand new decent quality tires were $70-$80 each with install and balance. With Michelin you end up paying $140+ not even knowing weather they will be better, not to mention the warranties the claim for some are 140k or something.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
When I bought my ST1300 motorcycle it was seven years old and had 3000 miles on the original tires. There were minor surface cracks on the tires but I continued to use them until they wore out at 7000 miles. I just kept an eye on them.

My understanding is the profession opinion is these cracks are not an issue.

That's my experience also.

But YMMV!

Tags
dryrot, replace, rot, tire