Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #1
jimmykicker

Drives: 2009 Scion xb
Yaris transmission in xD??

Ok guys I have been advised to start a new thread. I have a Scion xD 5 speed and the transmission has given up the ghost. Replacement transmissions are incredibly expensive or impossible to source. I have been chatting with a fella that said that the Yaris is bolt in although it is a little lighter duty and requires the Yaris axles that it should otherwise fit without modification. I'm in a real right here and really need your expertise.

Before I started this thread another member said that the xD hubs won't work. From what I read that hub end is the same.

Supposedly they are both 26 spline and same diameter on the hub end.

Thanks in advance.

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy k.
jimmykicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #2
jimmykicker

I'm gonna go ahead and comment on my own thread here. What I understand is that when you swap the 2ZR-FE into the Yaris you have to use the xD axles. If that is the case then that means the xd axles fit the Yaris hubs which would indicate (to me anyway) that the reverse has to be true since that means that the hub shaft end is the same.

Any takers on why this isn't correct? It would be like putting the Yaris motor and trans in the xD. Since they bolt up the same then the engine is irrelevant.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
that a 2zrfe fits to a yaris transmission, a yaris transmission should bolt to the 2zrfe in the xD...however, mounting points might be slightly different...so you MIGHT need yaris transmission mounts
Old 12-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
jimmykicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
that a 2zrfe fits to a yaris transmission, a yaris transmission should bolt to the 2zrfe in the xD...however, mounting points might be slightly different...so you MIGHT need yaris transmission mounts
I did see some posts about that maybe being an issue. I'm in a group on facebook where a really helpful fella was telling me that it should just bolt in without any modification....

Let's hope he is right. Just ponied up for one. Should be here next week. Will let you know what we find out.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
jimmykicker

Well...It appears that the ABS system the Yaris uses is different than the ABS system the xD uses. Great. There appears to be a boss on the axle where the ring would go though. Have to figure out what...if anything will fit there.

Fun times.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I'm pretty sure you can wire something up so it reads from the transmission and vice versa. Look up the 2zr swap threads and there is info on there regarding that.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:25 PM   #7
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Here is some info:

-Scion Xd and Yaris are almost the same vehicle, everything besides the ECM and wiring, and engine and transmission are the same
-hub size and splines are the same

Tell us what's wrong with your current transmission, so we can work on fixing that before making things more complicated
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
jimmykicker

Something is broken inside. Flopping around in there. Noisy as hell too. Probably output bearings and input bearings. What I am going to do is keep the original and can have it if another swap is needed in the future I don't have this struggle. The new unit arrived today. Got the Yaris axles to boot. We shall see what we shall see.

Will follow up with the results.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:17 PM   #9
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I could have sworn I chimed in on this thread. Hmm.

Depending on what's wrong with it, you could use the input and pinion shaft from the Yaris in the xD. If it's a bearing, those are relatively easy to replace if you have access to some gear pullers. I feel your pain on trying to source an xD gearbox. I spent almost 9 months looking for xD MT parts for my 2ZR swap.

I'm afraid I don't have a simple answer for you. I don't believe that the Yaris gearbox will acept xD axles. Autozone shows the Yaris as 23 splines inboard, 26 outboard, and the xD as 20 inboard, 26 outboard. That implies that the hubs are compatible, so you may be good to go with a Yaris gearbox and axles.

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 12-27-2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to install the breathalyzer on the Submit button.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:19 PM   #10
jimmykicker

Well the transmission is in the car. Unfortunately we ran into one stumbling block. The passenger side axle is too short and slips out of the transaxle on turns. We verified the axle was the correct one. It fits fine otherwise. Other than having the shaft lengthened any other thoughts? It's about an inch and a half too short. We tried making the two shafts into one but that won't work either. This sucks.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:50 PM   #11
CrankyOldMan

Crap. Looks like the difference in mounts may be offsetting it to one side. The xD and Yaris dogbone mounts are about 1/2" difference in location, and the side mounts are similarly offset.

Oh, did you replace the retention clips on the inner end of the axles? Those aren't reusable, according to the repair manual.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #12
jimmykicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Crap. Looks like the difference in mounts may be offsetting it to one side. The xD and Yaris dogbone mounts are about 1/2" difference in location, and the side mounts are similarly offset.

Oh, did you replace the retention clips on the inner end of the axles? Those aren't reusable, according to the repair manual.
Welll....

According to my exhaustive research, the axle that goes in the xd is in fact LONGER. The two car's wheelbase's are different...by one inch. The Yaris axles are 35 1/4 inch, the xD axles are 35 and 3/4 long.

The dogbone mounts might have thrown it off a tad more too. But my mechanic said everything lined up no problem.

Axles are new. We haven't taken them apart. However, the ends aren't swappable anyway.

The fix is hopefully 1999 Corolla axle. Same splines (hopefully), and a length of 36 1/2 inch. That's only 3/4 longer than the xD but an inch and 1/4 longer than the Yaris. My friend that is doing the job said it appeared to be about an inch or more too short. So god willing this will work.

Last edited by jimmykicker; 01-04-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #13
jimmykicker

Okay. For any of you contemplating this swap INTO your xD with the xD engine this is what you need.

1. C53 transmission might be c54. Both were in Yaris
2. Yaris 2007 (assuming all same) drivers side axle
3. 1999 Toyota Corolla passenger side axle.
4. Your original dogbones
5. Forget swapping joints. Not possible. Forget custom axles. Stupid expensive. Forget stretching or cutting. Not practical or reliable.

Car drives fine according to mechanic. What a major pain this was.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:31 PM   #14
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykicker View Post
1. C53 transmission might be c54. Both were in Yaris
I'm pretty sure the C53/C54 were only available on Euro and Central American Yarii with the smaller engines. The US and Canada 2nd gen only had the C50 (same designation as the xD, despite the difference in differential and end cap. That may cause some confusion for our international readers.

That said, I'm glad to hear that you sorted it out!
Old 01-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #15
jimmykicker

Not doubting any of this since you guys are the enthusiasts for sure. But the Wikipedia site (like that's some infallible source!) says the Yaris used C53, c54 and c551 trans.

C53 Edit
A 5-Speed Manual Transmission for FWD cars.

Gear ratios for this transmission.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Reverse Final
3.545 1.904 1.310 0.969 0.725 3.250
Applications:

Toyota Yaris 1.4 D-4D
Toyota Corolla 1.4 D-4D

C54
A 5-speed manual transmission for FWD cars.

Gear ratios for this transmission.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Reverse Final
3.545 1.904 1.392 1.031 0.864 3.250
Applications:

Toyota Yaris

It says the c50 was in available in these.

Toyota MR2 (AW11) mid 1984 to mid 1986
Toyota Corolla (E90) 1.6L 4A-F, 4AFE
Toyota Corolla (E100) 1.5 liter 5A-FE and 4AFE
Toyota Corolla (E120) 1.6L 3ZZ-FE Brazil(South America market) and Europe
Scion xD 1.8L
Scion xA 2003–2006
Scion xB 2004–2007
Toyota MR2 Spyder ZZW30 with SMT has version C50-M1

I will say this. The car has a more definite 5th gear. It always felt like it had a 4th and a half with the c50. Definite rpm drop versus the old transmission. Whatever the Yaris is, I don't believe it to be what I put in this car. The gearing is definitely not the same.

We're there c50s with different final drive ratios then? Same as 53/54. They still call em c50 even though it's actually in reality closer to the 53/54?

Car drives just fine in this configuration by the way. Very pleased.

Thanks guys for all your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:37 PM   #16
CrankyOldMan

The catch with the C53 is that it was only in the 1.4 L turbo diesel (D4D) engine, which isn't in the US or Canada. Yes, that's generally correct that it was in the Yaris platform, but those two were only available internationally. There are also massive differences between the C50 implementations as well, like the final drive in the xA/xB and the mounting points on all the variants. I've got a gearbox teardown thread around here that shows the difference between the Celica C56, Matrix C59, xB C50 and Yaris C50. The MR2 C50 is different again, possibly with another differential and mounting points (I've got two of them, one of which is slated to receive my old 1NZ via an xB bellhousing. =)
Old 01-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #17
jimmykicker

So basically it's more like c50.1, c50.2, c50.3 etc then? This transmission is definitely different ratio-wise. In fact we like it a lot better!

That page didn't say anything about the c50 being in the Yaris which is why I made that assumption. It fit almost perfectly the axle fiasco notwithstanding. That being said too, if the track had been the same The Yaris axles passenger axle would have worked fine. Either way it's nice to know the xDs can avoid the junkyard with a Yaris swap. Those are so much more common.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #18
CrankyOldMan

The tragedy is that I pulled apart an MT xD at the local self-serve yard this fall and didn't take the gearbox. #regret