Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2007, 04:23 PM   #19
Toyota Technician

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick452 View Post
FWIW, I work at a Toyota Dealership and even though nearly all the cars reccomend 5W-20, the service department only uses 5W-30.
Then u should know that their is a tsb stating it is safe to use 5-20 in any toyota veh using 5-30, the dealership i work at only stocks 5-20 in bulk and just keep quarts of other weights for older veh. personally i use amsoil 5-20
Toyota Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #20
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
Some dealerships will use 5w30 over 5w20 because generally its cheaper in bulk. I have lubricants training and used to sell lubricants (9 years worth) and now run a performance tuner shop inside a Toyota dealership. I personally run a light viscosity 5w30. .02 mpg is not worth less life out of an engine.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:22 AM   #21
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas View Post
Some dealerships will use 5w30 over 5w20 because generally its cheaper in bulk. I have lubricants training and used to sell lubricants (9 years worth) and now run a performance tuner shop inside a Toyota dealership. I personally run a light viscosity 5w30. .02 mpg is not worth less life out of an engine.
i'm a little confused. i always thought the weights WERE the viscosity numbers. isnt a "light" 30 weight oil, by definition, NOT a 30 weight oil?? kinda like a 150 lb guy saying, "im a light 150 lbs." uhhh, you're either 150 or you're not. i would like it if you could further elaborate on "light" 30 weight oils, however, since if i CAN use a 30 weight oil that gives the efficiency benefits of a 20 weight oil, i'm all for it. currently using amsoil 0w-30, and planning on switching to 0w-20 as soon as i run out... thanks.

--B
Old 07-15-2007, 12:44 AM   #22
dallas

Acording to oil manufacturers to call an oil SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) a 30 weight it must be betwwen 9.3 to 12.5 centistokes at 100 celcius. I use an 5w30 thats near 9.3 at 100c. Im making a compromise between what Toyota originally spec's for our engines and what they now say as people want more mileage and they sell more fuel sucking Tundras. A 20 weight on the other hand is any oil between 5.6 to 9.3 centistokes at 100c. why would you take the chance and rely on tha additives to prevent wear like in a 5w20 when in a 5w30 you will rely on hydrodynamic lubrication( the oil itself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by static808 View Post
i'm a little confused. i always thought the weights WERE the viscosity numbers. isnt a "light" 30 weight oil, by definition, NOT a 30 weight oil?? kinda like a 150 lb guy saying, "im a light 150 lbs." uhhh, you're either 150 or you're not. i would like it if you could further elaborate on "light" 30 weight oils, however, since if i CAN use a 30 weight oil that gives the efficiency benefits of a 20 weight oil, i'm all for it. currently using amsoil 0w-30, and planning on switching to 0w-20 as soon as i run out... thanks.

--B
Old 07-15-2007, 05:44 PM   #23
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas View Post
Acording to oil manufacturers to call an oil SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) a 30 weight it must be betwwen 9.3 to 12.5 centistokes at 100 celcius. I use an 5w30 thats near 9.3 at 100c. Im making a compromise between what Toyota originally spec's for our engines and what they now say as people want more mileage and they sell more fuel sucking Tundras. A 20 weight on the other hand is any oil between 5.6 to 9.3 centistokes at 100c. why would you take the chance and rely on tha additives to prevent wear like in a 5w20 when in a 5w30 you will rely on hydrodynamic lubrication( the oil itself).
awesome info. after reading your stats, i looked up my current oil and saw that it ran 10.0 cSt @ 100C, so it must be of the "lighter" 30 weight oils. the oil i was looking at, 0w-20, runs 9.0 cSt @ 100C, so i'm still thinking about switching, since its at the "heavier" end of the 20 weight spectrum, so the protective capabilities should still be there. oh, and completely agree with using oils from group IV or V, unlike mobil 1 which uses group III bases. thanks for the info!

--B
Old 07-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #24
dallas

Thanks. Is it Amsoil 5w20 thats 9 centistokes at 100c? if so go for it , its close enough, to what your happy with. The last time a ran Amsoil a few years back, their 5w30 was more like 12 centistokes? I cant remember which one it was! If you live in a warm climate I would go with a heavy weight 5w30. you won't see much milege improvement with only a 1 or 2 centistoke reduction, so go with the cheaper or more readily available one. I live in Canada and its not that hot so I feel safe running a lighter weight. If I lived in Texas for example I would find a 5w30 on the heavier side.