Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-27-2020, 06:43 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Ramps For my 2020 corolla, a low to the ground car

After the two years of free oil changes, I’ll have to be changing the oil myself. This is a problem because most ramps won’t work, the car being so low to the ground.

I found these in Harbor freight. They’ll raise the car for inches. Any opinions on whether they will work or anyone have any experience with them?

https://www.harborfreight.com/Three-...mps-56156.html
Old 02-27-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
No, I always used a floor jack & stands.
ex-x-fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:33 AM   #3
bronsin

No they won’t work, or no you haven’t tried them, or no you think 4 inches left won’t do the job.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:45 AM   #4
bairjo

Do what I do for my daughters low setting Accent. I still use ramps, but I set a 2x4 on the floor in front of each ramp so the car drives up on it first then onto the ramp. Works every time.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
bronsin

Interesting. I’m going to measure the height of the bodywork above the ground this morning on the Corolla. I think it’s like 6 inches or less.

What year is the accent, and how low to the ground as a body work?

Old 02-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
bronsin

The bodywork in front of the front wheels is a good 7 inches Above the ground.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #7
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Those are cool and should work fine.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #8
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
Be aware that the free ToyotaCare 2YR/25K service only includes 2 oil/filter changes - one at 10K & one at 20K. If you want the oil/filter changed every 5K miles like it should be then you will need to pay for it at the 5K, 15K & 25K mark or do it yourself. The 5K, 15K & 25K ToyotaCare service is only a free tire rotation & fluid check. I wouldn't even wait 10K for oil/filter changes on the best full-synthetic. Toyota being cheap & corner cutting, & then suddenly recommending 5K oil changes starting at 30K after ToyotaCare is gone. Toyota also doesn't replace the air filters for the first 25K of ToyotaCare services, & then suddenly recommends replacement every 15K starting at 30K. Hmmmmmmm.

I went ahead & had my oil changed at 1.5K as an precautionary "engine break-in" oil change, & plan to do it again next week, since it has been 6 months since that oil change (but still only 3500K total miles on odometer thus far). Now that I am driving less than 5000 miles per year, my oil changes will fall on the 6-month timetable rather than the 5K miles timetable.
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
bronsin

Is it the air cleaner changed every 30,000 miles? That’s what all my Toyota’s have been for many many years.

My new Corolla is six months old and has 1800 miles on it. I expect in another four months you’ll have 3600 miles on it and I’ll let the dealer change the oil because it will be 10 months after I bought it.

There is no way I will let the cargo 10,000 miles between oil changes no matter what kind of oil is in it! I hope I can do it myself, but my Parkinson’s is advancing relentlessly. I may have to have a dealer change it, but I’m only going to put less Then 5000 miles a year on it.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Interesting. I’m going to measure the height of the bodywork above the ground this morning on the Corolla. I think it’s like 6 inches or less.

What year is the accent, and how low to the ground as a body work?

Well I don't know how low the Accent sets as she lives 5 hours away and I can't check until she is home for Easter. Regardless, the car sets 1.75" higher when it driven up on the 2x4. I would suggest you drive your Corolla up on a set of 2x4's and park it there. Then shove the end of your ramps up against the 2x4's. If the ramps are not hitting the bottom of the bumper....you are good to go. If the ramps are still hitting your bumper...try thicker boards or stacking. Just a thought.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #11
bairjo

Quote:
After the two years of free oil changes, I’ll have to be changing the oil myself. This is a problem because most ramps won’t work, the car being so low to the ground.

I found these in Harbor freight. They’ll raise the car for inches. Any opinions on whether they will work or anyone have any experience with them?

https://www.harborfreight.com/Three-...mps-56156.html
The ramps look nice...they don't say however if they can be stacked when stored. That may or may not be an issue for you. For me...i need all the room I can save.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #12
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
Well I don't know how low the Accent sets as she lives 5 hours away and I can't check until she is home for Easter. Regardless, the car sets 1.75" higher when it driven up on the 2x4. I would suggest you drive your Corolla up on a set of 2x4's and park it there. Then shove the end of your ramps up against the 2x4's. If the ramps are not hitting the bottom of the bumper....you are good to go. If the ramps are still hitting your bumper...try thicker boards or stacking. Just a thought.
That sounds like a great strategy Bairjo. I wish I could try it out!

But I have Parkinson’s I need my wife to help me with the metal ramps they are so heavy. With these plastic ones from Harbor freight, they weigh so little I could do it myself.

I think your 2 x 4 idea is great!
Old 02-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #13
bronsin

I really like the idea of using a 2 x 4 to raise the car up enough to get a low profile car up on regular ramps. It’s a brilliant solution.

But I do see a problem potentially.

If you should overdrive the Ramps with a low profile car using the 2 x 4 method, the bodywork between the wheels will be crushed, possibly trapping you in the car if the doors won’t open.

I’ve put my car up on ramps hundreds of times safely. But twice I over drove the Ramps. There was no damage to the car I just had to use the floor jack to get the rams out from under the car. This was with my wife’s 2005 Camry. But a low profile car like my 2020 corolla would be a different story.

Just a heads up!
Old 02-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #14
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
I really like the idea of using a 2 x 4 to raise the car up enough to get a low profile car up on regular ramps. It’s a brilliant solution.

But I do see a problem potentially.

If you should overdrive the Ramps with a low profile car using the 2 x 4 method, the bodywork between the wheels will be crushed, possibly trapping you in the car if the doors won’t open.

I’ve put my car up on ramps hundreds of times safely. But twice I over drove the Ramps. There was no damage to the car I just had to use the floor jack to get the rams out from under the car. This was with my wife’s 2005 Camry. But a low profile car like my 2020 corolla would be a different story.

Just a heads up!
I feel like a floor jack and 2 jackstands is just way faster and easier than driving up on ramps and worrying about driving over (Which I've done before, as well)
Old 02-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #15
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
2 changes/year, just have a shop do it. DIY your saving what, $10/change?
My Yaris won't clear my ramps, even with driving up on 2x6s first. I have to double stack my lumber to do it. For oil changes I just jack it. Much easier.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #16
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
2 changes/year, just have a shop do it. DIY your saving what, $10/change?
My Yaris won't clear my ramps, even with driving up on 2x6s first. I have to double stack my lumber to do it. For oil changes I just jack it. Much easier.
Actually with the miles I drive now it would be one change a year! But when you have Parkinson’s, every little thing you can do is a victory.

If the Rams don’t work out, I’m finding out how to jack up a Low profile car like a corolla 2020 and get it on jackstands. YouTube is great!
Old 02-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #17
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
you may invalidate the warranty if you don't change the oil every 5K or 6-months, whichever comes first. Automakers look for any reason to screw you over on warranty issues.
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #18
bronsin

The oil change interval with synthetic oil is 10,000 miles/10 months