Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
Yaross

Drives: 2006 Yaris HB 5DR
A/C Blower Dismantling?

Good day sirs!

I have noise problem in A/C blower. I checked if some debris got sucked in and found nothing so I decided to pull down the blower out of its nest.

Blower out, i rotated it manually and the sound looks like coming from the motor and it sounds same as if some materials are trapped between motor and fan axial blade.

Now my problem, anybody knows how to remove the blade so I can get a better look on the motor?

here are some pics for reference:

thanks in advance!
Yaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
hard to see from the photo but if it was screws or clips then it can be disassemble.. ..

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
best thing to do is replace it toyota had a TSB for this but was only 3yr36k coverage

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
Yaross

@ OTA'sTOY - my car is 5 years old and has 152,000 km on it, no chance

@ marcus
- (1st pic)I cannot tell also if the yellow cap at the center is screwed or just pressed in. One thing is for sure, it is holding the blade such that it will rotate together with the shaft.
- (2nd pic) at the bottom, there is black circular sticker, I opened it and saw only the other end of the shaft.
- (2nd pic) there is one screw also at the bottom, I removed it and found that it only serves as hole cover. It doesn’t attach to anything inside the motor. Maybe it is for putting oil or something or maybe it is used for jamming the shaft but I am too afraid to do that and do not have the tool either.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Looking at mine, I have a feeling that you can't get it off without cracking the plastic. It appears that the tip piece is pressed on. Toyota doesn't show a separate part number in the EPC for the blower wheel or the retaining clip, so it looks like it is not intended to be removed.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA'sTOY View Post
best thing to do is replace it toyota had a TSB for this but was only 3yr36k coverage
TSB wasn't for replacement blower motor but for a mesh screen that attached to the blower unit.... 88840-52160
ROCKLANDTOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:21 AM   #7
Yaross

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Looking at mine, I have a feeling that you can't get it off without cracking the plastic. It appears that the tip piece is pressed on. Toyota doesn't show a separate part number in the EPC for the blower wheel or the retaining clip, so it looks like it is not intended to be removed.
Sir CTScott, thanks for checking this out. You're probably right. This thing is disposable.

I went to Toyota and ask for the price. 745 saudi riyals! (US$200!). I guess I'll just continue using my old blower 'til it stops turning.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
Yaross

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLANDTOYOTA View Post
TSB wasn't for replacement blower motor but for a mesh screen that attached to the blower unit.... 88840-52160
Hello Sir. I've read through the TSB and somewhere it is written to inspect the motor. If it is noisy, it will be replaced.

Just a word of advice to those who are still under warranty: Listen to your blower motor. If you hear something unusual, take it to the dealer.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #9
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
OLD P/N : 87103-52140
NEW P/N : 87103-52141

I suggest that you just buy a used from the local scrapyard preferably from a 2011 model. New one from Dealer will cost you around ~$250

I tried to repair mine before by dismantling the motor and the fan unit but with worse result. I damaged the bushing assembly of the motor. The problem is that the motor bushing is is not a ball bearing type and just only plain brass bushing which will get loose especially when out of grease/lubricant.

HiH
Old 12-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #10
syntax

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2010 "shadow"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricepower View Post
OLD P/N : 87103-52140
NEW P/N : 87103-52141

I suggest that you just buy a used from the local scrapyard preferably from a 2011 model. New one from Dealer will cost you around ~$250

I tried to repair mine before by dismantling the motor and the fan unit but with worse result. I damaged the bushing assembly of the motor. The problem is that the motor bushing is is not a ball bearing type and just only plain brass bushing which will get loose especially when out of grease/lubricant.

HiH

+ 1 the local scrapyard should have alot of this...
syntax is offline   Reply With Quote