Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
CV Joint Boot - Driver's Side

I took my Yaris in for an oil change today, of course they do the 14 point inspection for free

And of course, they found something even though I have only 38,500 miles on my car. Told me my driver's side boot is slightly torn and it will cost $371.00 to replace the boot only. Then they start the scare tactics which if I don't HURRY like in the next week or 2, that my axle could seize while driving.

So I got home and called CarX and the guy told me they normally don't replace a boot only, they replace the entire shaft and it will be $235.00. I told him it was a Yaris but being Saturday he seemed to be in a hurry.

I think I read here where you can't buy an aftermarket axle?

First a clutch throwout bearing going out earlier this year and $850.00 for that at Toyota....now this. I treat my cars gently and I don't know why this is happening when I kept my last car, a 1997 Chevy Cavalier for 13 years and it still had boots in good shape when I traded it in.

I know for certain this will be my first and last Toyota.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
WARNING WILL ROBINSON WARNING!!!

I would be shocked shocked if what they told you is true!

Get the car up on ramps and look for yourself!

Sounds like BULLSHIT to me!

These boots almost never tear anymore...certainly not at 38,000 miles.

Last edited by bronsin; 09-26-2015 at 03:48 PM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The boot should be replaceable, but taking the axle requires disassembling part of the suspension, so they will do an alignment too. 200-300$ is not surprising.

If they are using scare tactics, go elsewhere to have it verified if you cannot do it yourself.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Boots don't wear out quickly on the Yaris ifwhatthey are saying is true (doubtful) than you likely ran over something that cut the boot. I have 142,000km on my Yari and the boots are still just a plyable as when brand new.

As for the bearing, also not a common problem, could be due to a few things such as the way you drive stick.

By all means never buy a toyota again, but don't be surprised when the other company you go for had double the issues and your mileage is half what was claimed
Old 09-26-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
Lux

Drives: NCP91
What do you do when one physician sells you a questionable prognosis or treatment?

Apply that hitherto.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #6
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
If they are torn but somehow the grease is OK (LOL), why not do the same fix that Toyota would have done, but easier.

Go to the dealer and ask for a split CV boot kit. Toyota actually makes them (there's aftermarket as well, of course). You will not need to disassemble anything (other than cutting the old boot off) to install it, and, if you don't have a band tool to affix it, use black zip ties.

Typical non-dealer cost is under $20. Total repair time is 5 minutes, not including time spent jacking the car up and getting it on jackstands.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #7
tmontague

The main reason i'm doubting what they said is because they stated they only want to change the boot. W/ prices of CV axles now a days and the cost of labor paired w/ potential damage to the cv axles due to the torn boot, almost all mechanics will just put a new cv axle in instead of just the boot.

It easy to charge a customer money and state that you put a new boot on and then when asked to see the old one, either show one from another car (look identical on all models) or just state it a small rubber piece and it was just tossed out. Tougher to do that w/ a full axle...

In many quick lube places the (insert # here) point inspection is rarely done or done half assed, chances are this is the new "your Trans fluid and power steering fluid is dark and smells burnt, you need to change it" line being given
Old 09-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
The main reason i'm doubting what they said is because they stated they only want to change the boot. W/ prices of CV axles now a days and the cost of labor paired w/ potential damage to the cv axles due to the torn boot, almost all mechanics will just put a new cv axle in instead of just the boot.

It easy to charge a customer money and state that you put a new boot on and then when asked to see the old one, either show one from another car (look identical on all models) or just state it a small rubber piece and it was just tossed out. Tougher to do that w/ a full axle...

In many quick lube places the (insert # here) point inspection is rarely done or done half assed, chances are this is the new "your Trans fluid and power steering fluid is dark and smells burnt, you need to change it" line being given
^^^^^ This
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:48 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The OP really really needs to have another shop check the boot out because the odds are about 1 in a million that the boot is torn.

And if it is damaged most likely the shop that wants to "fix" cut it.

I concede its possible it was damaged by something the car hit on the road, but that's pretty far out.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #10
DebbyM46227

It's the Toyota dealer I bought it from that says my boot needs replaced. They had a special on synthetic oil changes - otherwise I'd never taken it there yesterday. Today I'll try to look at it myself by turning the wheel. Being female, I'm not into jacking it up or fixing it myself.

Unfortunately there are no shops open for car repair here on Sunday.

As far as hitting something on the road, I'm very careful when driving. I started a new job in June and it's on the southwest side of Indianapolis, which seems inundated with trucking companies and gravel-hauling dump trucks, in addition our city dump is there. And lots of railroad tracks I have to cross. These trucks have destroyed the roads I have to drive on to get to work, and it doesn't help that I have to deal with White River and there are limited streets I can use to cross the river. I avoid pot holes when driving but the railroad tracks I can't avoid and I cringe every time I have to cross one.

I hope the bad roads didn't cause this, if I truly have a torn boot.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
It's the Toyota dealer I bought it from that says my boot needs replaced. They had a special on synthetic oil changes - otherwise I'd never taken it there yesterday. Today I'll try to look at it myself by turning the wheel. Being female, I'm not into jacking it up or fixing it myself.

Unfortunately there are no shops open for car repair here on Sunday.

As far as hitting something on the road, I'm very careful when driving. I started a new job in June and it's on the southwest side of Indianapolis, which seems inundated with trucking companies and gravel-hauling dump trucks, in addition our city dump is there. And lots of railroad tracks I have to cross. These trucks have destroyed the roads I have to drive on to get to work, and it doesn't help that I have to deal with White River and there are limited streets I can use to cross the river. I avoid pot holes when driving but the railroad tracks I can't avoid and I cringe every time I have to cross one.

I hope the bad roads didn't cause this, if I truly have a torn boot.

It is pretty hard to tear a boot on a low mileage and relatively young car, but they typical way that it happens in this case is by a piece of debris getting kicked up and nailing the boot. Shine a flashlight around under the car and you will see splotches of grease with loads of dirt stuck to it if the boot is really torn, as the boot is packed with grease and it comes flying out of a torn one and sticks to surfaces under the car.

If you really have a torn one it will not cause an immediate failure. It is keeping grease in to lubricate the CV joint and most people never realize that they have a bad boot until the joint fails. A failing joint will start making clicking noises when the wheel is turned all the way in one direction and the car is in motion. So, the dealer trying to scare you about the urgency of the issue is a farce.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It is pretty hard to tear a boot on a low mileage and relatively young car, but they typical way that it happens in this case is by a piece of debris getting kicked up and nailing the boot. Shine a flashlight around under the car and you will see splotches of grease with loads of dirt stuck to it if the boot is really torn, as the boot is packed with grease and it comes flying out of a torn one and sticks to surfaces under the car.

If you really have a torn one it will not cause an immediate failure. It is keeping grease in to lubricate the CV joint and most people never realize that they have a bad boot until the joint fails. A failing joint will start making clicking noises when the wheel is turned all the way in one direction and the car is in motion. So, the dealer trying to scare you about the urgency of the issue is a farce.
^^^^^ and this
Old 09-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #13
DebbyM46227

Is an aftermarket axle even available for a Yaris? I read in older posts that there was not.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Is an aftermarket axle even available for a Yaris? I read in older posts that there was not.
Even Autozone stocks them. I replaced one of Crashy's with one from Autozone for $80.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #15
tmontague

$50-$100 for the full assembly on rockauto
Old 09-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #16
DebbyM46227

Thank you! Getting ready to go out and look underneath with the flashlight.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #17
DebbyM46227

OK, I took a flashlight out, turned the wheel both directions and looked at the best I could. I felt it and didn't feel any torn spots, but I couldn't feel the entire thing. I also shined the flashlight all underneath my car and I see no grease whatsoever. I'm amazed how clean it is underneath there since it's been 3 weeks since I had it washed.

So for now, I think I'll have Car-X take a look at it. This one store is really good with female customers, not taking them for things that don't need repaired. The last time I was there was due to a road noise I heard at certain speeds that wasn't there before. The Car-X mechanic spent 40 minutes inspecting it, including taking it out for a drive and concluded it was my tires that were making the noise, showing me where the treadwall was separating. I thought it was a bearing. And no charge for what they did.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
OK, I took a flashlight out, turned the wheel both directions and looked at the best I could. I felt it and didn't feel any torn spots, but I couldn't feel the entire thing. I also shined the flashlight all underneath my car and I see no grease whatsoever. I'm amazed how clean it is underneath there since it's been 3 weeks since I had it washed.

So for now, I think I'll have Car-X take a look at it. This one store is really good with female customers, not taking them for things that don't need repaired. The last time I was there was due to a road noise I heard at certain speeds that wasn't there before. The Car-X mechanic spent 40 minutes inspecting it, including taking it out for a drive and concluded it was my tires that were making the noise, showing me where the treadwall was separating. I thought it was a bearing. And no charge for what they did.
The only car I've ever owned that had 'weak' CV boots (ones that tore at all...and did so multiple times ) was a GTI. I eventually found a boot product that was tough and constructed as (for lack of a better term) the two pieces of a clam shell glued back together. I just tore the ripped boot off, applied the proper grease/whatever that was required, put the glue that came with the boot along one edge, put the boot on, and applied pressure for as long as the directions stated. No issues after that. I don't know if these are still available, but I'd bet that your boot isn't even torn. It sounds as though Car-X will be honest with you .