Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
othater

Drives: 07SedanS06Taco
EFI service

Can someone tell me whats involved with the EFI sevice from the dealer.
I went in for some warranty work and the dealer suggested I should do it the next time I go in for 35K service.
Cost between $90.00-140.00.
Do they they pour some injector cleaner in the gas tank or do they physically clean out each injector.
I'm having a little hesitation but not enough to bother, still getting 35+ MPG.
2007 auto Sedan S.

Thanks
othater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
skip it. Just something to get your money.

You're better off doing sea foam or running a few tanks of premium chevron.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
skip it. Just something to get your money.

You're better off doing sea foam or running a few tanks of premium chevron.
Agreed. Pop in some Techron and put in a few high-speed runs down the highway!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
othater

Thanks for the replies,

I use regular gas with techron in my cars,
Since gas prices are down right now I'll try a tank or two of premium first and if that doesn't work I think I will try the sea foam.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Premium will hurt rather than help....Just get a bottle of cleaner and add it to your tank about every 5000 miles.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Premium will hurt rather than help....Just get a bottle of cleaner and add it to your tank about every 5000 miles.
Why would Premium hurt?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
b_hickman11

Because its designed for the low octane and the ECU is formated for using it
Old 11-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Wait, does your car really feel that different? I mean you've only got about 35k on the meter.

As for the ECU>....It should adjust automatically.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
I use 1 bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus every 5K, last fill-up prior to getting my oil changed. 1 bottle treats 12 gals, just right for our tanks.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Because its designed for the low octane and the ECU is formated for using it
But the manual stated that Octane used in test was 91?
Old 11-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnaCaT View Post
Unless it's stated on the dash and/or the fuel filler door "Premium Fuel Only" using premium in a vehicle designed for 87 octane will probably just increase deposits and cause longer cranking during start-ups.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 11-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Why would you want to put that stuff in? LUCAS products are garbage. You can really clog up the converter and put un-removable deposits on the wide band A/f ( lamda sensor) by doing a drastic "de-carbon"
Be carefull, U can do more harm than good! This stuff may work on an understressed 400CI ford or 396 chevy with NO post catalysis but NOT on a modern auto.
Completely false!

I use Lucas UCL in every tank and I get 7% higher MPG, and no issues with the catalyst, nor valves, nor anything. I also pour Chevron Techron concentrate bottle in tank every 5,000 miles.

I've used Lucas in several other cars in the past 10 years and NEVER any cat problems, nor deposit problems. And in fact the valves on my 1993 Honda Civic are like new clean!
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
othater

Just got home from work and just checked the forum.
I already filled up with premium.
Maybe tonight I'll take a drive on the freeway, hopefully it wont have a negative effect, but a positive one.
If anything i'll run down the tank and refill with regular and add injector cleaner.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:29 AM   #14
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by othater View Post
Just got home from work and just checked the forum.
I already filled up with premium.
Maybe tonight I'll take a drive on the freeway, hopefully it wont have a negative effect, but a positive one.
If anything i'll run down the tank and refill with regular and add injector cleaner.
On a car with so little mileage as yours there is no way you are having clogged injector problems but If the plecebo effect of putting higher octane gas in your Yaris is worth the extra bucks then go for it ,just more money in some Arabs pocket.
As for injector cleaner? another needless additive as its already formulated into the gas you buy,i've ran my last 4 fuel injected vehicles well over 200k and never used injector cleaner and never had problems with an injector,
Your slight hesitation could be a misgapped plug or a plug wire not working properly or just a bad tank of gas.

Last edited by jambo101; 11-22-2008 at 06:40 AM.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #15
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
On a car with so little mileage as yours there is no way you are having clogged injector problems but If the plecebo effect of putting higher octane gas in your Yaris is worth the extra bucks then go for it ,just more money in some Arabs pocket.
As for injector cleaner? another needless additive as its already formulated into the gas you buy,i've ran my last 4 fuel injected vehicles well over 200k and never used injector cleaner and never had problems with an injector,
Your slight hesitation could be a misgapped plug or a plug wire not working properly or just a bad tank of gas.
I had a Honda Prelude Si once that almost didn't make it home because of bad injectors, had less than 10k miles on it at the time. Probably one tank of bad gas was all it took.
I've seen lots of bad injectors over the years. Cylinder misfire counters and injector fault confirmations in the datastream of my scantool make it easy for me to see them. Lucas injector cleaner fixed two out of the three clogged injectors on the last Blazer I worked on. Took care of the misfire counts on all the cylinders except one...had to drag out the MotorVac machine to clean that last stubborn one.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 11-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #16
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
Completely false!

I use Lucas UCL in every tank and I get 7% higher MPG, and no issues with the catalyst, nor valves, nor anything. I also pour Chevron Techron concentrate bottle in tank every 5,000 miles.

I've used Lucas in several other cars in the past 10 years and NEVER any cat problems, nor deposit problems. And in fact the valves on my 1993 Honda Civic are like new clean!
7% higher than what?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #17
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benggolf2 View Post
Agreed. Pop in some Techron and put in a few high-speed runs down the highway!

but that will not clean the throttle body or the intake manifold. i dont know what toyota does, but at my shop we use a 3 part EFI system. one is a detergent for the the fuel delivery system (pretty standard, another is "sprayed" into the throttle body with compressed air as a mist in front of the throttle plate (cleans IAC / throttle plate) and then another part that we call the intake snake. basically a expensive cotton ball with detergent on it that we put on a special stick and scrub out the intake manifold / runners if we can get that far down on whatever kind of car. we charge $99.99 for that service. its pretty good if you ask me. i have seen some scary stuff come out of intake manifolds on cars with under 30k on them. even mine.
seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #18
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnaCaT View Post
The manual says "Research 91 octane or higher" meaning before putting in your car do some research to see what the pros/cons will be.

On another note, all gas sold in the US has additives already in it to help cheap the system clean. It doesnt matter if it has a fancy name like Techron or if it is unbranded gas. But its still a good idea from time to time to use an aftermarket product to help clean the system even more because sometimes you might get a bad tank of gas or water in your gas tank. I used to work at a gas station and our computer system that runs the tanks and pumps also had a water level reading. Having water in their tanks is such a common thing that they have to have this system. Also everyone once in a while stations will get a delivery driver that doesn't know what he is doing and might but the wrong gas in the wrong tanks. For example, might out super in the regular. But most stations now have different size tank openings and the tanker has different size nozzles to prevent this from happening.