Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #19
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
LOL.... "Research" does not mean for you to research. It's the full term.

Quote:
The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Let's stop talking "tomaatoes and tomohtoes"... the point is.. don't let the dealor charge you for it, or at least so much for something so simple.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #20
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
My bad. Thought it meant to check into before hand. Kind weird though seeing how in my area you cant even get 91 octane.....
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #21
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
7% higher than what?
For the way I drive, and the city/hwy mix:

42 MPG + 7% = 42 + 3 = 45 MPG, when I use Lucas UCL in every tank of gas.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:47 AM   #22
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
your best bet is to just go to a station with certified gas...they dont rate the 87 as far as i know, but, 89 and up are monitered in some companies. less carbon build up the cleaner the fuel you use.

as far as the fuel injection cleaning service, im sure it depends on which dealership you go to. some dealerships and shops i have worked at its a full proccess of addative in the gas tank, liquid cleaner sucked in through a vacuum line near the TB, or a direct injection to the fuel rail, as well as cleaning the MAF and AIT sensors with proper solution and then cleaning the throttlebody.

however, at some shops...it was grab the brakebooster line and shove a hose from a bottle of cleaner to it. some of the "techs" would run the cleaner through so fast it would cause the car to run insanely rich and also blast out the carbon too fast...it would fry or plug the cat.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:56 AM   #23
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
they dont rate the 87 as far as i know
According to the top tier website:

"Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline."
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #24
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
According to the top tier website:

"Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline."
And thats why its doesnt matter if you buy brand name gas or unbranded gas. It all comes from the same manufacturing plants.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #25
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
AFA throttle body cleaner - what kind of plastic ( polymer) is our intake made of - I am afraid you put the wrong chemical in there and start melting it. I think there is table on the WWW which show what plastics tolerate what Aromatic HC. We could have Glass-filled Nylon or possibly Dupont talc filled Liquid crystal polymer? I suppose no hDPE ...
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote