Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #55
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latka View Post
I know there's a detergent of some sort required in gas. From that though the brands can have special stuff. Our gas (at Costco here in Hawaii) is Chevron gas minus the techroline.
My dad works at the local Tesoro refinery and ALL gas is the same. Refined by two different companies, but the gas quality is the same. This includes detergents. Chevron adds the same stuff that Tesoro adds to their gas, they just trademarked the "Techron" name to it and decided to use it to market their gas to customers.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #56
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidTimeOff View Post
My dad works at the local Tesoro refinery and ALL gas is the same. Refined by two different companies, but the gas quality is the same. This includes detergents. Chevron adds the same stuff that Tesoro adds to their gas, they just trademarked the "Techron" name to it and decided to use it to market their gas to customers.
I've heard this argument before as well. However, on turbocharged cars, chevron has a really bad history in my car club of ruining motors. I OTOH have only used Shell in my 2 subarus, and anything cheap in my yaris. I also used 100 octane from union76 in my wrx when the track was opened. Does Shell cost more? Probably one of the highest gas in HI. Is it better? I think so. And with over $35k invested in each car, I'm not willing to run "cheaper" gas.
My yaris has run fine with whatever 87 octane i've put in. But usually the yaris runs on aloha petroleum, from either of a kalihi or 2 kaneohe stations.
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote