Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Question Higher Seating Position

Hello everyone,

Something that's been bothering me from the first month of ownership of my '09 hatch is the fact that I can never really tell how much space there really is in front of the car. It makes parking in tight spaces more difficult than it should be since you can't gauge the distance in front of the front bumper properly.

So, I figure raising the seating position would help a bit, so I wonder if anyone knows of any way to do this without compromising safety.

Any feedback on this subject would be appreciated!
Old 03-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
https://www.amazon.ca/TKOOFN-Sensiti...back-up+sensor

why not just get this and have it setup up front for parking
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
IMO, raising the seat won't help you; you're still not going to be able to see the hood, since it's so short and slopes away from the window so drastically. The more you drive the car, the more you'll be able to judge the distance. I can park mine next to a wall, and I can judge the distance pretty well now.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
One of the first things that I noticed when switching from my previous 2000 Accord to my 2015 Yaris, was that the seating position was HIGHER than I was used to - NOT lower. It took some getting used to, and felt really odd for a while. There was also a lot more head-clearance room and "openness" in the Yaris, versus my 2000 Accord EX, which also felt really strange for a while. When you drive the same car for 15-16 years, like I did with my Accord, you just get used to certain things and start taking them for granted.

And yes, it can be tricky judging the distance/clearance that you have with the Yaris when parking and such, since the car feels bigger (from the inside) than it really is. I also seem to have pretty poor spacial perception.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Every vehicle requires learning where the front, rear, and sides actually are as there is always a portion of the vehicle which you cannot see. Raising the seat will only result in relearning the relationship between what you can see of your car and the object next to it.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
One of the first things that I noticed when switching from my previous 2000 Accord to my 2015 Yaris, was that the seating position was HIGHER than I was used to - NOT lower. It took some getting used to, and felt really odd for a while.
I had the same experience. My dad, who is 80 and has had back surgery, both knees replaced, etc., has a bit easier time getting in and out of my Yaris than he did my Honda Civic.

You basically have to do a squat to get out of an Accord/Civic, where the Yaris is a bit more of a slide out.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote