Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Certified Platinum Extended Warranty: worth it?

On June 1, I will have reached the three year point of ownership of my Yaris. At the time of this writing, my car has almost 12,000 miles, the majority of which are highway miles. Apart from standard maintenance items, I have not needed anything serviced on this car. Since I feel like I really haven't driven the car enough to break anything, I decided to swing by the dealership to ask about extended warranties. The finance guy discussed the Certified Platinum Warranty with me. It's a bumper-to-bumper warranty that will cover the car up till when it's 7 years/100,000 miles old. I'm sure many other people here have looked at this warranty and considered it. It'll cost $1,724, which, of course, is a lot of money. When I finance guy was discussing it, it sounded like a great deal. However, the more I think about it, the more I feel uneasy about it. For one thing, there's a huge opportunity cost in tying up that much money on the gamble that something will go wrong in the next four years. In addition, years down the road, the line between what is wear-and-tear and what is something that's actually broken can be kind of fuzzy. I'd be afraid that the dealerships and/or the manufacturer will use this fuzziness to deny my use of the warranty.

So, my question is, do you guys think it's worth it? I'm guessing no, but does anything think that this is something I shouldn't pass up? For the record, I own my Yaris outright, and I intend on keeping it forever. And based on this forum, it appears that very little can go wrong with this car anyway. Seems to me that the main problem that appears with this car is failure of the water pump. But that's considered part of the powertrain, and the factory powertrain warranty is good for five years (so, not something I need to take into account when considering this warranty).
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
No way, no how. I have yet to own a vehicle that needed an extended warranty. Toyotas are known for their build quality, and if you read the contract you will probably find that it doesn't cover as much as you'd expect it to!

I usually keep my cars for ten years, and plan to do the same with my 08 Yaris.

Invest the money in bonds instead, it'll be a better/smarter move.

Cheers! M2
Old 05-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I bought the same warr with my car in '08 for $659. The water pump costs under $100. That price he quoted is insane. You should just sock away the $1700 as an emergency fund for repairs in the future..

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
Leah, save the $1700 and start modding :) ,especially with those little mileage after 3yrs.

I have the 7yrs n 100K warranty, but it's included onto the price when I bought mine from Toyota direct 3 yrs ago.... But no way I will pay that much To add.
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I think it's cheaper to buy it when you buy the car new vs years later...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
Hamster

@vten
As you might have guessed on your own, yep, that price quote came from Toyota Direct. I hadn't stopped by any other Toyota dealership, because I figured they'd all be the same. And yeah, the more I think about it, $1,700 is a lot of money to pay for a warranty. That amount would indeed pay for a lot of mods and the labor to install them, should I ever decide to go that route the the future. That kind of money for a warranty may be worth it for an expensive car that has a lot of fancy electronics that might break, like a BMW. But my car doesn't even have power windows or power locks.

As some other people mentioned here, yes, I vaguely remember the extended warranty being a lot less expensive when I first bought the car. I didn't go for it at the time, since I wasn't sure the if it was a good idea. And with all the comments people are leaving here, the consensus is that it's still not a good idea. Is that $1,700 price typical if you buy the warranty later on? Or is this particular dealership trying to rip me off?
Old 05-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
warranty pricing is highly negotiable. The person selling you is quoting you the "no haggle" price. Just like every piece of a car, the dealership tries to get as much money out of the warranty as they possibly can.

But frankly with replacement costs on this car being so insanely low the warranty is a waste. for $1700 you could replace half the car, including labor.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
My 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Put the $1700 into a money market account for those seven years and collect interest on in each month. Or, if you feel confident in the car, place some of the $1700 into a 60 month CD. If you need to fix the car, just dip into those funds.

Hopefully (and knowing how reliable these cars seem to be) you'll never end up using any of it, and if that's the case, you'll get a little more back then you had before!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
warranty pricing is highly negotiable. The person selling you is quoting you the "no haggle" price. Just like every piece of a car, the dealership tries to get as much money out of the warranty as they possibly can.

But frankly with replacement costs on this car being so insanely low the warranty is a waste. for $1700 you could replace half the car, including labor.
You hit the nail on the head. Some examples:

Replacement motor with 20-30k miles: 450-600
Replacement motor with 45-70k miles: 300-500
Transmission: 600-1000
ECU: 100-400
Full Carpet: 350-450

Sure, the labor costs could be argued, but even still parts for this car that are major are dirt cheap because they are not in high demand so salvage yards are having to sell at low prices just to get it out of inventory.

I am glad that I didn't invest in the EW when I bought mine back in 06 and that is even in hindsight. The only thing that I got suckered into, which might not really be called suckered since it is a theft tool was the etched windows identifying the car as mine if stolen and that got talked down to only an extra 100 bucks.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Hamster

I just wanted to thank everyone for the excellent advice. I am definitely not going to get the extended warranty. I'll save my $1,700 and either invest it or do something fun with it. I'm so glad I left my checkbook at home when I went to the dealership, so I wasn't able to make any impulse decisions. The more I think about it, the more I think I was nuts for even considering this.

By the way, the salesman at the dealership didn't seem willing to negotiate the price of the warranty down. I don't know why....Either he thought I would be willing to pay anything, or maybe it's the dealership's policy not to negotiate on the price.