Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
peewee1
PEEWEE1

Drives: 2009 yaris s sedan
automatic down shift?

To all you expert yaris drivers/owners, is it advisable to downshift an automatic tranny when coming to a stop sign/light? I have developed a habit of going into 3rd gear from 4th gear when approaching a stop sign. Does this kind of driving have any effects on the "ecm", and its learning ability?
peewee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
I'd say the trans knows what to do; just leave it in drive and let it downshift when it wants to.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathegg View Post
I'd say the trans knows what to do; just leave it in drive and let it downshift when it wants to.
The trans knows what to do for the smoothest ride...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
No reason for it, and it probably counteracts the DFCO which works to maximize your fuel efficiency.

I only downshift in my automatic when I'm feeling frisky and want to think my Yaris is a real sports car.

Oh, that and when I come upon steep hills!

Cheers! M2
Old 05-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
10 Francis

Drives: 2010 Yaris S HB
DFCO only works in an auto when you downshift...
10 Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #6
Aamya
Banned

Drives: audi
I have a question for all,.
Can you please tell me that Do you ever need to downshift in an automatic car?
Waiting for the answer,.?
Aamya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Francis View Post
DFCO only works in an auto when you downshift...
Wrong. Early versions of the AT (Including ones sold in the U.S. until around January 2007) can only achieve DFCO with a gear selection lower than (D)rive, i.e. 3 or L, but since half way through the 2007 model year the AT can achieve DFCO in all gears.

Downshifting is NOT required. The system will remain on until the accelerator is engaged, engine speed drops below 1,100 RPM or the transmission is put into neutral or the clutch engaged (on manuals).
Old 05-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
When the O.B.D ( drop to 3rd ) kicks in during a descent there's no change in F.E.. The Eco-Meter gains gas mileage .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aamya View Post
I have a question for all,.
Can you please tell me that Do you ever need to downshift in an automatic car?
Waiting for the answer,.?
Only time you would need to downshift is if you are driving in the mountains and going up a steep hill. Say that you are going up a hill and you hit the accelerator and it feels like your not moving and it wont downshift on its own and you don't wanna peg the gas too the floor. Then you would downshift to 3rd to keep the RPM's high so you got quick acceleration up a hill and you dont have to worry about the car switching back and forth from OD to 3rd.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
Nothing wrong with downshifting to reduce the use of the brakes. It helps reduce brake wear, and also helps keep the engine in DFCO (saves fuel). And yes, it does add wear to the tranny..... but how much? No more than upshifting, especially during high acceleration.

One caution, don't downshift so early that it makes the engine over rev. Personally, I don't like to downshift so early that my RPMs exceed 5K rpm.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Why would you ever manually shift an automatic? Automatic transmissions cost a fuckload more than a set of brakes. Use the brakes to stop and let the transmission do its own thing.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Yeah. I can't see myself using the wanna be manual option in my automatic.
I think I could do way more harm than good in that instance.
I haven't actually driven a manual since I was 14.

I think if you want a manual, Buy one.
If you want an automatic, Don't make try to make it a manual.
Just my opinion anyways.
Everyone has their own idea of right and wrong.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
MadMax

I occasionally shift my auto, usually when driving a bit more aggressively than usual. If it wasn't designed to take it, then it wouldn't have that option. I am simply using it the way Toyota engineered it.

The nice thing is when I do want/need it to shift on its own, it can...

Accept it or not, but automatic transmissions are the future of motoring. Toyota sold considerably more automatics in the Yaris than it did manuals, and many cars are not even offered with manuals anymore.

Even in Europe, where the manual transmission reigned supreme long after it started fading in popularity in the States, it is now more common to see automatics.

The clock is ticking...
Old 05-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I wish I could have gotten a 5 speed in my car :(

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I occasionally shift my auto, usually when driving a bit more aggressively than usual. If it wasn't designed to take it, then it wouldn't have that option. I am simply using it the way Toyota engineered it.

The nice thing is when I do want/need it to shift on its own, it can...

Accept it or not, but automatic transmissions are the future of motoring. Toyota sold considerably more automatics in the Yaris than it did manuals, and many cars are not even offered with manuals anymore.

Even in Europe, where the manual transmission reigned supreme long after it started fading in popularity in the States, it is now more common to see automatics.

The clock is ticking...
+1. Toyota even says you can do it in the owners manual.

Other cars, chrysler for example, don't allow you to necessarily choose gears directly. You can only changes modes for the AT, for example D is regular operation, 3 holds gears longer for better performance, and L keeps it in the lowest gear till near the redline then upshifts. All gears are available in all modes!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #16
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
To all you expert yaris drivers/owners, is it advisable to downshift an automatic tranny when coming to a stop sign/light? I have developed a habit of going into 3rd gear from 4th gear when approaching a stop sign. Does this kind of driving have any effects on the "ecm", and its learning ability?
I have 'developed' the same habit, peewee1, always under 40 mph. Stop signs and stoplights. Won't hurt it at all. Nothing wrong with manually shifting an automatic transmission, we have a choice.

Had a TH125 Auto in an '88 Fiero Formula that I manually shifted all the time - never had a problem with it, sold it at 89, 000 miles.....and that was an 80's GM tranny
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote