Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2017, 11:26 PM   #1
knobby bobby

Drives: 2015 Yaris Coupe
Toyota Yaris Motor erformance Question

2 Toyota Yaris. Mine is a 2007 with 110K miles. Only mod is K&N air filter. The other Toyota is a 2010 Toyota Yaris with 34K miles all stock. My 2007 Yaris has at least 25% more power than the 2010 sold by the dealer. Both are 5 speed manual and 2 door hatchback. How can this be ? There are no mods done to my motor to the best of my knowledge however I am not the original owner. Anyone have a clue to why this is ? Thanks
knobby bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:12 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
And you know that it has 25% more power how? Did you dyno both vehicles on the same dyno on the same day?

If you're going by the butt dyno, then you're experiencing power to weight ratio. The newer Yarii have more airbags in them than the older years. So with more airbags, means more weight (airbags themselves plus associated wiring). With that said, the newer years have the same power, yet weigh more, thereby decreasing the power to weight ratio (so it'll feel, and actually is, slower).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Plus, said 2010 could have had 34k ROUGH miles, so some horses might have decided to leave the barn. LOL
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:03 AM   #4
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
dang, 25%. Might wanna do a tune up, and check for carbon buildup. That filter and the fact the 2007 is a good few pounds lighter may also be the reason.

of course that 25% you feel may just be 3-5% from the filter and weight lol.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:50 AM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
measure the outer circumference of the tread on the front tires of both vehicles.
weigh both vehicles.
read spark plugs on the slower vehicle.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
knobby bobby

Drives: 2015 Yaris Coupe
well the car is being sold by a dealer and they said they have to comply with the 25 point official toyota inspection. That means you get shitty bridgestone tires a cheap ass battery and gawd knows what else they do to choke up it up to oem bone stock standards. I dont have a dyno but do understand power to weight ratio. I am sure it says the dry weight of the vehicle somewhere on the web and like someone said it probably has more weight but that is an assumption which I believe is probably true. Speaking of airbags In my Yaris I keep getting notices to bring to dealer for free airbag replacement. They said the dealer will do it for free and there is a problem with the propellant ammonium nitrate releasing into car and metal shards released when airbag is deployed. So another words I have a freakin grenade and chem warfare under the dash. Revenge of Nagasaki.....
knobby bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
take it to dealer for free airbag replacement
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:50 PM   #8
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
Toyota Yaris Motor erformance Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby bobby View Post
well the car is being sold by a dealer and they said they have to comply with the 25 point official toyota inspection. That means you get shitty bridgestone tires a cheap ass battery and gawd knows what else they do to choke up it up to oem bone stock standards. I dont have a dyno but do understand power to weight ratio. I am sure it says the dry weight of the vehicle somewhere on the web and like someone said it probably has more weight but that is an assumption which I believe is probably true. Speaking of airbags In my Yaris I keep getting notices to bring to dealer for free airbag replacement. They said the dealer will do it for free and there is a problem with the propellant ammonium nitrate releasing into car and metal shards released when airbag is deployed. So another words I have a freakin grenade and chem warfare under the dash. Revenge of Nagasaki.....

This is a massive problem that affects millions of cars (even Ferrari, lambo, Porsche etc) and all the makers not just your car. I don’t know if you live in a cave but the Takata recall is a huge thing and you must! go and change the airbag as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:28 PM   #9
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
the throttle mapping learns the driver.

so one may respond a little faster then another. That was my biggest complaint with the first month or so when I bought my car (new) had me looking up Sprint boosters and whatnot. Then all the sudden it got very good for a E throttle car.

6 years later Im still happy with my yaris. got nearly 140k

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:10 PM   #10
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
the throttle mapping learns the driver.

so one may respond a little faster then another. That was my biggest complaint with the first month or so when I bought my car (new) had me looking up Sprint boosters and whatnot. Then all the sudden it got very good for a E throttle car.

6 years later Im still happy with my yaris. got nearly 140k
Very true! Today, i was running low on fuel (was down to slightly faster blinking low level) and filled up about 4 liters just to get me to the regular gas station i use. When i left the station the fast binking light was still on.

Somehow because of my smoother, lower throttle inputs than before, the ECM must have adjusted some parameters, because the blinking stopped and the display indicated 2 full fuel bars...
Old 11-01-2017, 07:36 AM   #11
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
there is only 9kg difference between 2007 and 2010 so I dont think weight is the difference. Probably the learning curve of the computer. 2010 with 34k miles was a grocery getter and needs to learn to drive! also check air filter