Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Just scored another 5-Door Yaris Hatchback! (More new pics added)

I found a 2008, got it $2500.00 CAD. Will pick it up next weekend. It's in really great shape, drives tight and quiet, 165 000 kms on it, keyless entry and remote start. Once I get it, the scavenging will begin. I'm swapping dash boards. My RS dash has a few scratches, the 08 is near mint. The RS is going to go into hibernation for the winter and I already have a set of winter wheels and tires for the 06 that will now go on to the 08. I have a stock pile of oil filters, lots of oil, an extra trans filter and several quarts of WS ATF as well as enough OEM coolant to do the new car. I'll rust proof the 08 with my gallons of used ATF.

Here are a few pics from the listing. I'll post better ones after I've got it home, hub caps on it and cleaned up a bit.

Now I can say that I officially have 'Yari" as opposed to, "have a Yaris".

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-03-2017 at 05:32 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:22 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Nice. And another recon project begins. Looking forward to your posts.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Nice. And another recon project begins. Looking forward to your posts.
Haha, you know it!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 10-28-2017, 03:56 AM   #4
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Excellent! Can't have too many of the things... (We have.... five of them LOL)
Old 10-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
Excellent! Can't have too many of the things... (We have.... five of them LOL)
Holy carp! I thought 2 of one type of car was a lot. Like you say, you can't have enough! Especially of these little beasties.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Auto?

:'(
Old 10-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
Auto?

:'(
Yup.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #8
06YarisRS

New Family Member Has Arrived!

Disclaimer: Long and potentially boring...

Well, picked up the 08 Hatchback today. When I first went to see the car it was dark out and getting late so I didn't do as thorough a job going over it as I normally would. I did drive it and it drove beautifully.

Today when I first arrived at the seller, I checked the dipstick. The car was very low on oil and what was there was close to the blackest I've seen - ever. I immediately added ~ 2L of Castrol GTX 5W30. I would have tested a sample of the oil before topping up with my Lubricheck, but I was afraid to see what it would have to say! Tomorrow morning I will do another fill with GTX and in a day or two another change with synthetic. This is a testimony to Toyota. Despite being really low and seemingly not having had an oil change in ages, it is incredibly smooth and quiet. On the highway home, it drove beautifully; lots of power and very smooth revving, and at idle.

I also dropped by the Toyota dealer and picked up 6L of WS ATF to add to my stash as well as a gallon of Toyota Super Long Life Coolant. Tomorrow, she gets new oil, atf, new air filter, coolant drain and fill and, time permittng, a brake fluid flush.

The car does have one small ding on the passenger door, unfortunately right on the crease, but it's nothing I'm going to bother fixing as the paint is still intact. The interior, despite being in need of a major cleaning is in excellent shape.

This car is being designated as our winter driver and will receive a complete rust proofing in my standard process - used aft sprayed inside doors, rockers, body panels, Rust Check red in hood, gate and thick stuff underneath - probably Fluid Film. It will also get a very quick polish and a couple coats of paint sealant - just for protection, not beautification, in this case. I know, I know, totally OCD here...

Here are a few pics after a wash and quick engine bay cleaning. It (paint work and engine bay) was REALLY dirty!

The car will get a new set of aftermarket "Toyota look" wheel covers after the wheels are sanded, rust converted, primed and painted. Oh yes, and must not forget, a headlight wetsand and polish. It's amazing homw much better the light is on our 06 after I 'refinished' those. Wiper arms get repainted too...

And the siblings together...

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-03-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #9
kimona
Super Moderator

It looks very clean! Rather than some cheap hubcaps, why not paint the wheels and get some nice trim rings?
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2017, 07:12 AM   #10
06YarisRS

Quote:
It looks very clean! Rather than some cheap hubcaps, why not paint the wheels and get some nice trim rings?
I absolutely love that look. Is that your car? If so, where did you get the Toyota center caps?

I did a similar thing on my Dodge Grand Caravan. I modified Ford Crown Vic/Ranger center caps and used a set of Chev stainless steel trim rings. Check it out...

Old 11-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
kimona
Super Moderator

Dodge looks great. Nice job. I really like the trim ring look.

No, not my car, just an idea for your "new" car rather than hubcaps.

There are a few centre caps that will fit the Yaris wheels. I think other yarisworld members may be able to help you with the caps question... and check for some old threads about this topic.

Here's another Yaris with chrome centre caps:
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
06YarisRS

Quote:
Dodge looks great. Nice job. I really like the trim ring look.

No, not my car, just an idea for your "new" car rather than hubcaps.

There are a few centre caps that will fit the Yaris wheels. I think other yarisworld members may be able to help you with the caps question... and check for some old threads about this topic.

Here's another Yaris with chrome centre caps:
That does look smashing. I really like it. I'll keep my eye on Ebay, but I did order a set of plastic wheel covers last night. I thought I'd refinish the rims and topcoat with a flat black.

These are they...

Old 11-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

They're nice. Almost look OEM. Get some Toyota emblems for them and they'll look even better.

Will you need to do the zip-tie thing to keep them on in the winter?
Old 11-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #14
06YarisRS

Quote:
They're nice. Almost look OEM. Get some Toyota emblems for them and they'll look even better.

Will you need to do the zip-tie thing to keep them on in the winter?
Yeah, I went for something that looked as "Toyota" as possible within my budget which was about $30.00 USD.

Tell me about this zip tie thing, please. I suppose the ice build up and such will cause them to be unbalanced and fall off?

Actually, I have another probem - sort of. Ok, so I ordered 15" caps (as in picture) then remembered that the winter wheels and tires that had been intended for the 06 are 14". So, I now will have a set of 15" wheels with tires on the 08 with the new caps for the next few weeks, Then, I'll go with the 14" wheels. I may just leave them black and give them the occasional shot of rust protection to keep them from rusting. Or, I'll either follow up on your original suggestion of the trim rings or a set of 14" 'Toyota look alike' covers. Things are getting complicated...

Did the oil change today. I decided to go straight with the synthetic 5W20 this time instead of a conventional short flush. Oil that came out didn't look too bad but the oil filter had a tiny bit of rust on it. Can't say I've ever seen rust on an oil filter. The filter itself was dirty but no visible gunk or clumps inside - at least down the hole. I should cut it open. Anyway, the oil on the dipstick now after 10 - 15 minutes running is very clear and slightly amber. Should be good. Engine is purring like a kitten.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I may get a set of Toyota stickers (the aluminum ones) to fit the caps, as you mentioned. They're about $10.00 I believe.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #15
06YarisRS

Changed out 3L WS ATF today as well as completely undercoated the chassis. I was really surprised at how clean the fluid looked. It may have actually had a transmission service in the not too distant past. However, tomorrow I will drop the pan, replace filter and top up again. Also, forgot to mention that I sanded, converted and painted my steelies yesterday as well. I sprayed them in flat black but they came out more like half way between flat and satin. Should be good now for my wheel covers that should be arriving soon. Will try to post pics of both the old trans filter and the wheels with new covers.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #16
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
Rim rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I absolutely love that look. Is that your car? If so, where did you get the Toyota center caps?

I did a similar thing on my Dodge Grand Caravan. I modified Ford Crown Vic/Ranger center caps and used a set of Chev stainless steel trim rings. Check it out...

Nice look it has me interested where did you source them? online?

Never thought i would be looking to get rimmed! lol
Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #17
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
Talking wheely nice

Quote:
Those look sooo nice,whrer can i get sum? ( and i need some brain to hand coordination too )
Old 11-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #18
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u