Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
yaris2011-07

Drives: 2008 yaris hb ce
Blank rubber grommet

I recently noticed three holes in the bottom of the frame rails that reside under the front driver and front passenger area. Should these holes have blank rubber grommets similar to the grommets that are used in the floor pan?

The next time you happen to be under your car could you please take a look and let me know if you have these holes plugged?

My car is 2008 Yaris hatchback CE.

Thanks!
yaris2011-07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Yes, they're supposed to be plugged.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I would not plug them. Water can get into these rails along where they join the floor pans. Plugging the holes traps the water and allows rust to propagate unhindered. Spray a rustproofing oil of some kind in there. Even used motor oil will help. Something like fluid film would be best. It's so easy to do with the spray cans.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Yes, they're supposed to be plugged.
Frame rail holes are not plugged. Floor pan holes yes, frame rail no.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
yaris2011-07

Thanks yarisugi, 06YarisRS and WeeYari for the reply. I do live in an area that gets snow and salt on the road, so that was something I was wondering, is it better to have those holes plugged or unplugged.

So far it doesn't look rusty around those holes. Spraying oil/grease/fluid flimn into the frame rail holes is probably a good idea.

While I was down there I did notice rust around the plugs in the floor pan, so I removed those plugs and painted around the area, and then put some grease on the plugs and put them back in. I will need to take the carpet out sometime and see if there is any rust on the floor pan inside of the car.

I hope water and salt is not making its way into the floor pan inside the car.

Thanks again for the replies!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2011-07 View Post
Thanks yarisugi, 06YarisRS and WeeYari for the reply. I do live in an area that gets snow and salt on the road, so that was something I was wondering, is it better to have those holes plugged or unplugged.

So far it doesn't look rusty around those holes. Spraying oil/grease/fluid flimn into the frame rail holes is probably a good idea.

While I was down there I did notice rust around the plugs in the floor pan, so I removed those plugs and painted around the area, and then put some grease on the plugs and put them back in. I will need to take the carpet out sometime and see if there is any rust on the floor pan inside of the car.

I hope water and salt is not making its way into the floor pan inside the car.

Thanks again for the replies!
Sounds like you're doing the right thing; painting the rusty holes etc. I would be careful what you use for a rust proofing product that contacts the rubber grommets. I've seen them swell a lot and then they lose their sealing ability when a oil-based product is used. I believe Fluid Film will not swell rubber but don't quote me on that. I think most rust on floor pans comes from the inside out. Carpet/underlay is like a large slow-drying sponge. That's why I'm such a big fan of floor liners - keeps the water from getting there in the first place.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 11-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
yaris2011-07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Sounds like you're doing the right thing; painting the rusty holes etc. I would be careful what you use for a rust proofing product that contacts the rubber grommets. I've seen them swell a lot and then they lose their sealing ability when a oil-based product is used. I believe Fluid Film will not swell rubber but don't quote me on that. I think most rust on floor pans comes from the inside out. Carpet/underlay is like a large slow-drying sponge. That's why I'm such a big fan of floor liners - keeps the water from getting there in the first place.
I used white lithium grease on the grommets, not sure if this will affect the performance of these grommets.

I also have used rubber floor mats inside the car since it was new, so I don't think any water/salt would be coming from shoes/boots. I hope there isn't any other source of water inside.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:
I used white lithium grease on the grommets, not sure if this will affect the performance of these grommets.

I also have used rubber floor mats inside the car since it was new, so I don't think any water/salt would be coming from shoes/boots. I hope there isn't any other source of water inside.
I'm sure you'll be fine with the lithium grease. Rubber floor mats are great but sometimes stuff can spill over the edges. Once any water gets into the carpet underlay, it can be a really long time before it evaporates. It can actually be worse with rubber mats or floorliners as that further slows the drying process. Good on you for making the move to preserve your car. Few people are willing to do this.

On a similar note, today I drilled my rocker panels and also drilled holes just below the door latch on the rear doors of my 08. I dumped about a liter of ATF in each rocker panel and sprayed rust check in the rear holes to soak the rear panel, wheelhouse and dogles areas, then plugged them with the 1/2" body plugs. The atf dripped out all along the rocker, so it should be well protected against this winter's salt attack.

EDIT: So that the environmentalists among us don't get upset, I collect all drips into containers and recycle it.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-14-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #9
yaris2011-07

Quote:
I'm sure you'll be fine with the lithium grease. Rubber floor mats are great but sometimes stuff can spill over the edges. Once any water gets into the carpet underlay, it can be a really long time before it evaporates. It can actually be worse with rubber mats or floorliners as that further slows the drying process. Good on you for making the move to preserve your car. Few people are willing to do this.

On a similar note, today I drilled my rocker panels and also drilled holes just below the door latch on the rear doors of my 08. I dumped about a liter of ATF in each rocker panel and sprayed rust check in the rear holes to soak the rear panel, wheelhouse and dogles areas, then plugged them with the 1/2" body plugs. The atf dripped out all along the rocker, so it should be well protected against this winter's salt attack.
Nice job! I should also do that at some point. When I first bought the car I installed the Canadian Tire CounterAct Electronic Rust Protection System. Not sure if it is doing anything.

So far no rust on the body, but surface rust has started on the underbody.

Did you inspect the lower control arm bolt on your car? I did that recently, and needed to replace both of those bolts. The passenger side bolt came out in one piece, but on the drivers side the head broke off. It wasn't a fun job replacing that bolt.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:58 AM   #10
06YarisRS

Quote:
Nice job! I should also do that at some point. When I first bought the car I installed the Canadian Tire CounterAct Electronic Rust Protection System. Not sure if it is doing anything.

So far no rust on the body, but surface rust has started on the underbody.

Did you inspect the lower control arm bolt on your car? I did that recently, and needed to replace both of those bolts. The passenger side bolt came out in one piece, but on the drivers side the head broke off. It wasn't a fun job replacing that bolt.
Thanks! I think the jury is out on how well electronic rust protection works. My former principal, who is a long time shade tree mechanic, swears by them. He gets them installed on all new vehicles. A few years back I convinced him of the merits of using an oil-based rust proofing compound in interior panels, rockers etc, etc and he adopted it as an annual maintenance item. He uses it in conjunction with the electronic module. His cars are all relatively new - none more than 5 - 6 years, so it's hard to tell which if any approaches stopped the rust. There wouldn't likely be any rust anyway as they are so new. I know that you will find a lot of debate regarding these electronic systems. Apparently they work very well on bridges and boats where a complete circuit is present. They theory is sound apparently, just much debate about how well they work in an automotive application.

I have not closely checked the control arm bolts but I did coat them in Rust Check Coat and Protect. Everythng seemed fine but I'll pop a wrench on them and check. Thanks for the heads-up!

Old 11-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #11
yaris2011-07

Quote:
Thanks! I think the jury is out on how well electronic rust protection works. My former principal, who is a long time shade tree mechanic, swears by them. He gets them installed on all new vehicles. A few years back I convinced him of the merits of using an oil-based rust proofing compound in interior panels, rockers etc, etc and he adopted it as an annual maintenance item. He uses it in conjunction with the electronic module. His cars are all relatively new - none more than 5 - 6 years, so it's hard to tell which if any approaches stopped the rust. There wouldn't likely be any rust anyway as they are so new. I know that you will find a lot of debate regarding these electronic systems. Apparently they work very well on bridges and boats where a complete circuit is present. They theory is sound apparently, just much debate about how well they work in an automotive application.

I have not closely checked the control arm bolts but I did coat them in Rust Check Coat and Protect. Everythng seemed fine but I'll pop a wrench on them and check. Thanks for the heads-up!
If you've never removed the control arm bolts before, and if they require alot of torque to remove, I would recommend heating up the bolt head for about 10 minutes with a propane torch before putting alot of torque on those bolts.

I broke a 3/8" ratchet on the driver's side bolt. Then I used a 1/2" ratchet and that broke the bolt head off. I think if I would have torched the bolt head first it may have come off without breaking the bolt head.

Of course heating up bolt head may destroy your rubber bushing...so you need to decide if this approach is best for you.

Once I broke the bolt head off I needed to drop the subframe to get at that bolt. In the process, I ended up destroying the control arm bushing, and ended up replacing the control arm.

I coated the new bolts with lithium grease so I hope they will last another ten years!

Good luck!