Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Fortune Auto Coilovers

Hey everyone, after 9 years on my Megan coilovers, they finally bit the dust. Couldn't find much info on fortune auto coilovers for our cars and I was curious how they would perform so I ordered a set (guess I'm the guinea pig here ). I'll report back in 4 weeks or so when they show up and then again after installation and testing. I didn't opt for stiffer springs up front (they only offer alternate springs rates for the front) so I'm getting the default 4.5k front and 3k rear.
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Interesting. Looking fwd to the update.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #3
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Interesting. Looking fwd to the update.
I see what you did there...

I had FA coils on my Gm6 a whole back and loved them I opted for swift springs with custom ratings. With a fwd car you might like a stiffer rear spring actually to get it to rotate but the company itself is great with quick customer support and a kick ass rep field
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
They were my first choice when I switched to CO's for the track. I opted for BC racing instead as the FA's had no option for stiffer rear springs.

They were great to chat w/ as their customer service was awesome but end of the day those spring rates were way too low for what I needed. They apologized and said that there isn't a large enough market for them to sell custom spring rates for the yaris.

I'd go with them on a future build for sure, but for now I'm very happy w/ my BC's
Old 06-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
heeroyuy01195

Right so almost a year later, finally gathered up all my parts and got these installed. I wanted to just completely overhaul everything suspension related while I was under the car because I don't have as much time to tinker as I used to so I wanted to do everything in one swoop. That said, nothing really needed replacing. Go figure. I'm terrible at taking pictures while I work so I have no eye candy.

What I can tell you from the install, they went about the same as when I installed my Megan coilovers almost a decade ago. The good stuff, quality is top notch and I'm very impressed with the overall finish of everything. I was skeptical at first because Yaris parts seem to be a bit of a niche thing that nobody seems to sell. I can honestly say that everything fit as it should and went together nicely. I really like these a lot more than my previous coilovers (D2, F2, Megan, Ksport, etc.).

The bad part, and this is a very bad part. Know how we normally use an allen key and a wrench to lock down the top nut? There's none of that here. The way that the damper adjustment works, you can't insert an allen key into the damping rod. On the Megans, the damping adjustment was set further down into the damping rod which left the top section fitted to use an allen key to hold it in place while you tighten down the nut. What I ended up doing was tightening it down as tight as I could (more like until the damping rod started spinning), which honestly was surprisingly tigher than I expected. Then I took another nut and used it as a locking nut onto the first nut.

Driving impressions? Not much to say here yet, taking the car in for alignment tomorrow. I did a quick and dirty garage alignment so I could take a "spirited" test drive around town. So far I'm impressed, the ride quality is a lot better than the Megans. I ended up going three clicks harder and felt great for street use. Once I get the car aligned and I drive it around some more and really push it I'll report back. Cheers!
Old 06-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #6
heeroyuy01195

No luck on alignment, the place I normally go to got a new alignment rack and my car couldn't get on it. Joy :(
Old 06-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #7
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Fortune Auto is local to me. They make some killer stuff and have some cool car meet/open houses. I didn't even they were making yaris coilovers.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
heeroyuy01195

Alright, so I'm about a week into daily driving on these. I ended up doing the alignment myself in my garage with some string since I was turned away from just about every alignment and tire shop in my area. I have the camber set to about negative 1 degrees in the front and the toe is set to factory. For the dampers, I have them set to 5 clicks stiffer now but I think I would need to change springs to get anything better out of them. Preload is set to 0, I rarely ever have a need to mess with preload in my driving conditions. Running Yokohama S.drives, been using these for years so I'm fairly familiar with how they feel when they're about to break loose.

I do a lot of highway driving but the highways here are always under construction and riddled with potholes so from that perspective, they hold up great. I raised the car up so I have about 1/4" of gap between the tires and the fender, no need to be slammed and I want my car to be functional. Exit ramps at about 50mph feel solid but anything over that and I start to feel a little bit of understeer.

On surface roads and on my favourite twisty back roads, perfect. This is where the coilovers in my opinion really shine. I like my car to oversteer a bit and I like it to be fairly predictable when it does. On these tighter corners, the car does exactly that. I would still opt for slightly stiffer springs front and rear because the dampers can only do so much before you lose performance.

Overall I think these are a great option for a street car or race car. Whatever they did with the valving on the dampers is downright amazing. They're plush and comfortable when you're driving around normal but really change the feel of the car when you start to push it. I can definitely push the car harder on these vs. the old Megans. The Megans I had on here before did well for the 9 or so years I had them but definitely did not perform as well as the Fortune Autos. The only thing I would change is a going with slightly stiffer springs front and rear but this is personal preference. I've driven on AMR coilovers, JIC Magic, Ksport, D2, F2, Megan, and Tein. I would say these are similar the the AMR and JIC in terms of build quality and performance. Okay, rant over. Hope this helps anyone interested in getting these.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Coincidentally, I think they're doing a coilover giveaway on Instagram right now. I think I saw Super Street post about it.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #10
Lays

Drives: 2015 yaris L
I noticed it says here we can't order custom rear spring rates but the website has an option for it now?
Lays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:55 PM   #11
heeroyuy01195

Must have added the option after I purchased mine. Haven't visited the site since I bought my set.