Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
Caramanos2000

Drives: 2012 Yaris 5dr Hatch
Tokico blue or ksport coilovers?

Hey everyone I was wondering what would be best. Im looking for a stiffer ride at stock height. Im torn between some tokico blues and a rear sway bar or a set of ksport coilovers. Its a daily use car with ocassional open track sessions. What do you guys think?
Caramanos2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
my07ty

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Nothing beats a good set of adjustable coilovers
my07ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Go with Tokiko's (assuming you can find them) since you primarily DD your car.

The odd track days imo is not a reason to get CO's (which will be very harsh as a DD) in your case since you plan on leaving it stock height. At stock height you're going to negate a lot of the benefits of CO' since the Yaris sits so high and is already a tall car.

Why don't you want to go lower?
Old 02-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post

The odd track days imo is not a reason to get CO's (which will be very harsh as a DD)
Exactly what I was going to say.

As someone who ran Megan Racing coilovers and then switched to Tokico HPs and Tein S-Techs, I could have a hard time going back to coilovers. They're really stiff, make noise, and FYI, I never adjusted the height and only utilized the adjustability a few times.

My spring/shock combo arguably handles better on the street than coilovers since I never feel like the car gets unsettled when hitting a pothole or a bump in the road. The Megan Racing coilovers were just too stiff for my day-to-day use. Plus, the paint flaked off the coils and began rusting.

Unfortunately, few companies are making a new higher-performance shock/strut combo for the Yaris anymore. The only ones I can find are TRD and STAGG. I've got about 60,000 miles on my Tokicos. Hopefully they hold up for a while longer.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
^Do you think the Street Basis CO's are too soft? How do you think they would compare to Tokiko HP's?
Old 02-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
^Do you think the Street Basis CO's are too soft? How do you think they would compare to Tokiko HP's?
I don't know; I've never had them on my car or driven/ridden on a car with them.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:35 AM   #7
Caramanos2000

Drives: 2012 Yaris 5dr Hatch
Quote:

The odd track days imo is not a reason to get CO's (which will be very harsh as a DD) in your case since you plan on leaving it stock height. At stock height you're going to negate a lot of the benefits of CO' since the Yaris sits so high and is already a tall car.

Why don't you want to go lower?
We had attenpted to lower the car 1 inch before and it made it dam near undrivable. I couldnt even get out of my driveway or go over speedbumps. Hell at stock height my front bumper is beat to crap... keep in mind in in Puerto Rico.
Caramanos2000 is offline   Reply With Quote