Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2018, 01:49 AM   #1
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Visited some of the new 2018's

So I had some down time while I was working towards Chicago so I went to visit some of the "new" 2018 Yaris hatchbacks that were nearby places I went. First, I went to see a 5 door LE model and then I went to see a 3 door L model. I didn't drive them because there was no point since it's the same drivetrain and suspension setup as what I have but I was more curious to see what they changed on the inside and out. Oddly enough, both cars I found were black.

So... let's see... first of all, they finally put the Euro steering wheel controls in all models. This means you have the audio on the left and the phone on the right. Good... it was stupid having either nothing or a block off plate for something that worked even on the older models (like the set I put into my 2014) or worse... nothing at all like my 12 and both 16 base models. The LE also gained the piano black type trim for the audio controls among other things that the SE used to have. The L model had the chrome type trim for the steering wheel audio controls. I've seen the 17's have one of the safety system controls on the steering wheel itself which is stupid... this is rectified and all three controls are now grouped together on the lower dash left side for that stuff.

The LE model also had piano black trim around the two outside vents on the dashboard. The L model, regular black plastic. The outside vents are new... I quite like them. Has a joystick that you move to direct the air and twist to open/close the vent. Probably can swap those into my older car once I find some wrecked units to nab them from.

The seats seem to be the ones from the 15-17 SE models but with a two tone gray type coloring. This was on both models, so that's a nice touch. Since I haven't seen an SE I don't know if it gets different seats or not, but from what pictures I've seen they're the same. At least the cost cutting here gains a feature for the lower models instead of taking away from the higher one. Same goes for the gauge cluster, they all share the same cluster now which has been improved from the ones from the L and LE 15-17 that just have orange dots everywhere between the numbers for the speed and tach. Oh yeah, tachometer is on the L and LE now even with automatic transmissions.

The other big change to the inside is the radio. It's more "integrated" with the panel that has the hazard switch and the air bag on/off lights. It gains the nice fuel mileage graphing screen like all Toyotas have now (started on the Prius over here I believe) and you can change some car setting with it like the light delay and so forth. I've read that it's got better bluetooth phone stuff than before like the ability to read text messages aloud and more voice recognition junk but I didn't check into all that. However, it loses something important to me... the HD radio tuner! Odd step backwards. If you get the SE, I guess it had HD and satelite tuners and a bigger display but loses the CD drive to do so... hmm. Also, I didn't test this on the Yaris, but my buddy's Corolla that has the same interface as the new Yaris radio has a 2-3 second delay playing bluetooth audio on the phone from whatever video is playing... if the Yaris new radio does this too that would suck if you like to park sometimes and watch stuff. Oh yeah, reverse camera standard on all models... that works as you'd expect it to.

Outside, both cars I looked at were black so that hides some of the awkwardness of the new front end. It looks good in black... however other colors I don't think I'd like it because of the pointed nose. It's definitely smaller than it appears to stick out in pictures but... ehh... I dunno. The LE gains a different style alloy wheel than the 15-17. I personally like it quite a bit, but... that's subjective. The rear with the wider tail lights... I like it better than the 15-17 with the stupid center reverse light but not as much as the 12-14 setup with all three lights in the housings. The reverse lights work good though which is nice. Side profile is the same we all know and love.

Engine and trans... same units since 2000! Yeah baby! Super duper safety system introduced in 2017 still remains with that camera by the rearview always watching what you're doing waiting for the chance to beep at you or slam on those brakes like a boss. Still no keyless entry, cruise control, or power mirrors on the L model because Toyota hates you if you buy that even though I assume it can be added easily enough like I did to mine.

I guess that about wraps it up. If you like your 2007 or newer hatchback for daily driving you won't hate this thing. They've made them a little quieter inside with each revision (I can tell a big difference between my 07, 14, and 16s with road noise and so forth) and I'd be willing to bet the 18 is even quieter going down the road. However, insert complains here about old technology and blah blah blah that I don't care about hahahaha. That old 1nz-fe is a tough bastard and that's what's most important to me (with fuel economy next) since I beat the ever loving shit out of my cars (well, two of them) for taxi type work... downtime and breakdowns really hurt my bottom line.

The short version: Same car, some nice updates inside, outside styling is subjective but kind of meh, buy it anyway
Old 02-03-2018, 04:54 AM   #2
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
Love the Yaris. Hate the decision Toyota made to not integrate Android Auto into their head units. Oh well.
Plus, HD radio is a must for me.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
tomsimmons82

Drives: 2015 Toyota Yaris Icon 1.33VVT
I have approx 4 months left on my lease i have a 2015 Yaris icon UK spec. The list price was 12k at the time. The dealership have asked me if i want to trade in early and quoted me a list price 15,800 for a 2018 Yaris icon! The differences between the two are minor except the engine is now 1.5 (110ps) vs my 1.33 (99ps) and i spec metallic paint (£800). 3K still seems like a major price hike in less then 3 years!

I was looking at a Auris with a 1.2T Engine but this has also seen a major price hike
tomsimmons82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Yep, black is the way to go with the 2018 Yaris styling cues. Heck, black was the way to go with the 2015-2017 version also. If I didn't live in southern AZ I would have surely opted for black myself. I probably should have bought black, regardless. I sort of regret not getting it now.

I do think that the US-spec Yaris should have gotten standard side-mirror signal indicators a long time ago for added safety on the road - even if only in the SE trim. I also think the SE (S) should have been getting the nicer LED tail lights that are available in other markets, going back as far as the original US-spec Yaris in 2007.

The features of the head unit seems to be a big issue for a lot of folks, when I read around on the net. It's just a big USB-port MP3 player for me, and that's it. I literally have no other use for it whatsoever.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
YarTed

Drives: 2015 Yaris 5Dr
Good right up!, thanks for taking the time, makes me a little more interested in trading up.
Cheers
YarTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:56 PM   #6
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
Awesome write-up.

Even after 11 years though, I still love my '08 Yaris and I can't find myself trading it out. 90k miles and still going strong. I love the looks of the new Yaris, but I'll have to get my wife her Tundra or Sienna before I can even consider another car.
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:43 PM   #7
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
I don't mind my white 2016 L model. Saw a dark blue 17 LE and rather fancied it. Haven't seen other color 18's yet to make a call for myself on how I'd like other colors on it besides black haha. As for the radio, it's important for me mainly because when I go work in Chicago I'm usually in that car from 9 AM to 3 AM so bluetooth calls and a good tuner are helpful.

The no mirror turn signals is just some of that cost cutting shit Toyota does to the car here. It's cheaper to replace banged off mirrors on rentals if they have nothing in them versus anything fancy. They should have it because I think every other car they sell now does. I miss heated mirrors from my Prius... my beater Sonoma has them and it's one of the best features on a car. Canadians get that I think on their Yarii... as well as heated seats... lucky guys.

Glad you folks enjoyed the write up... there's no information out there really so I figured it might help someone who was on the fence about ordering one or what have you.