Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #1
Yarii

Drives: n/a
Foglight Switch

Has anyone replaced the light control stalk to upgrade their car for foglights? I thought I've read that dealer foglights give you the fog controls on the stalk instead of a button that fits into the console blanks. I'm just wondering if the difference in cost ($500cad dealer lights, $130 ebay kit) is because of a $300 control stalk. If the cost of a new control and the aftermarket foglights is still less than the dealer installation by enough $$, and if it isn't the most annoying thing to replace ever, I think I'd prefer to go that way just for the clean/convienent look. (plus it'll leave those blanks free for heated seat toggles later)
Yarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
fred812
Authorized User

Drives: 2007 5 spd Hatch White
I bought a remote kit from wally mart for fog lights for 10$ I use it to turn on and off interior neons. It designed for Fog lights cute little keychain remote!
could be used for many off on things, they are selling them out fast. was able to get another at another wally mart. APC makes it go to www.4apc.net do a word search for remote. not car search. and they retail it for 39$ still comes with complete wiring harness!
fred812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarii
Has anyone replaced the light control stalk to upgrade their car for foglights? I thought I've read that dealer foglights give you the fog controls on the stalk instead of a button that fits into the console blanks. I'm just wondering if the difference in cost ($500cad dealer lights, $130 ebay kit) is because of a $300 control stalk. If the cost of a new control and the aftermarket foglights is still less than the dealer installation by enough $$, and if it isn't the most annoying thing to replace ever, I think I'd prefer to go that way just for the clean/convienent look. (plus it'll leave those blanks free for heated seat toggles later)
Bah... just use the switch provided with! What is the most important role of a switch if is not to light the lights?
Old 09-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
fred812
Authorized User

Drives: 2007 5 spd Hatch White
Well the remote set up allows no wiring to and from the dash, It has a nice red wire that goes to the batt and 2 white and blacks that go to the fog lights, then the cute key fob. Just saw it at Pep boys for 29$ makes a clean install
fred812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Yarii

I've never been a big fan of remote anything, I've got enough crap on my keyring already, and I'd just end up loosing it if I left it in the car.

I was mostly just curious to know if anyone had tried changing their main headlight switch module. I've never seen a yaris with fogs from the dealer so I don't have a car to look at to compare parts-fit/wiring.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:24 AM   #6
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
To be honest, I'm sort of confused on this one too... in the manual, it shows a headlight stalk with fog light control, yet a Toyota shop manual showing installation of the foglights shows to install a pushbutton switch like all the aftermarket units come with. So which one is it?
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:00 AM   #7
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Bump...
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #8
IsLNdbOi

Sounds like dealer installs would have to use the push-button switch for the fogs.

Unless the OEM fogs come with a new stalk that includes fog light control.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:15 AM   #9
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
Sounds like dealer installs would have to use the push-button switch for the fogs.

I would assume the first scenario, like I said, the Toyota shop manual shows installation of a pushbutton type switch
Old 09-25-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
Yarii

Quote:

Yeah, I would assume it's just much faster for the dealers to install the button. No need to route a wire up through the steering column. That said, since it's confirmed the RS comes with the upgraded factory stalk that includes foglights, it should be possible to swap them. The only difficulty would be if the wiring harness to the stalk is different. I would hope it's the same, just with some blanks in the connector, then you could just add the extra wires.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:51 AM   #11
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarii
Yeah, I would assume it's just much faster for the dealers to install the button. No need to route a wire up through the steering column. That said, since it's confirmed the RS comes with the upgraded factory stalk that includes foglights, it should be possible to swap them. The only difficulty would be if the wiring harness to the stalk is different. I would hope it's the same, just with some blanks in the connector, then you could just add the extra wires.
I think all the wires and contacts may already be there, it's just a matter of the stalk being like a 300 dollar part, or something like that.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:58 AM   #12
IsLNdbOi

Ok, so anyone know the part number for the stalk with the fog light on/off switch? Would US Toyota dealers be able to get it?
Old 09-26-2006, 04:20 AM   #13
paultyler_82

Quote:
Ok, so anyone know the part number for the stalk with the fog light on/off switch? Would US Toyota dealers be able to get it?
They should... I beleive fogs are an option on US Liftbacks with a certain package, I'm still in the process of trying to find a parts diagram with parts numbers though...