Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #1
Cannjen
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Yaris
trunk release broken

I have a question. My 2009 Yaris had a broken hatchback release and the light on the dash indicating an open door was on for a few days before I could get to the garage. In the morning on the way to the garage my car wouldn't start. After towing it to the garage, the garage said it needed a new battery and I questioned whether the problem was the broken hatchback release draining the battery, but they said no. They ordered a new hatchback release part and they put in a new battery, did a "reading" on the battery and decided it also needed a new alternator. They put in a rebuilt alternator and said the hatchback part would be available in about a week. I drove it home and a few days later after not driving the car it wouldn't start again. I called them and they said the problem was the faulty hatchback release which apparently had been back ordered and they will have in a few days. Question is: did I really need the alternator rebuilt?
Cannjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
bigdog2k7

Drives: 2016 Yaris 5 Door LB
If your charging system was tested after a fresh battery was installed and your alternator test came back less than satisfactory, then yes, alternator replacement is needed.

The dead battery doesn't necessarily mean that your alternator was bad since the switch may have caused it. Honestly, there could be other factors causing your battery to drain as well. The best way to find out if the switch is the culprit is to unplug it and see if the vehicle's battery continues to die.
bigdog2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Totally ripped off.

Why didn't they charge the battery first?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, battery, hatchback release